Oil change intervals. I give up

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Tek_Freek, Feb 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I cannot for the life of me find what I consider a reliable set of miles/dates for changing oil. Someone has to know. If you do would you tell me?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Boston_Pilot

Boston_Pilot Active Member

Every 7500 miles of ICE use, or 1 year.

4. So 5,913 miles in just shy of two years with no change means I'm overdue? I don't recall any notices on the dash.

5. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

One way is to understand your driving habits. Speed demon? Stop n go traffic? Terrain/mountains? Highway vs local?

In my case, I am a sedate driver with not much stop n go traffic n limited highway miles. I drive ~70% in ev mode which translates to ~7500 miles on ice when odo hits 25k...which is when I will change oil...or one year from previous oci...which ever comes first.

Manual does allow for one year OCI'S at user discretion. Most seem to base it on percent of EV usage vs ice.

Some folks follow the maintenance minder (MM) which has demonstrated a propensity to breathlessly inform the driver of a needed oil change between ~6500 - 7500 miles odo... regardless of miles on ice. MM is predominantly based on time between service X or service Y. Several threads are out there discussing MM data if your interested.

Develop a plan which suits your clarity based on your specific situation.

Good luck.

6. PHEVDave

PHEVDave Active Member

At 5,913 miles I wouldn’t say you’re terribly overdue but generally the oil should get changed once a year even if you have zero miles.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Just ordered ramps and jack stands. Checking size for copper crush washers. At least it's decent winter weather here so no freezing cold while doing it.

9. PHEVDave

PHEVDave Active Member

If you have a propane torch you can get some extra life out of a used copper crush washer. Heating up to dull red will anneal it and generally make it useable again barring any deformity.

10. Found a Fumoto valve I'm going to install for future changes. It doesn't need a new washer since it's permanent.

PHEVDave likes this.
  11. Life changes. I discussed this with my wife and her comfort level with me (72 years old and some weird health problems) crawling under a car is not. Comfortable that is. After much consideration I find I have to agree. Now the hunt is on for a good mechanic because I'm not getting ripped off by a stealership.

Yelp, here I come.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

I change my oil every other MM interval. The oil still looks a lot cleaner than my wife's CR-V oil when I change it. At 71 (a couple of months shy of 72), I'm still comfortable changing my own oil and rotating my own tires. (No major health problems. Even got my second Moderna vaccination shot last week.) The crush washer appears to be made of aluminum. I bought a bag of them three years ago. They are not expensive.

2018 Clarity Touring, 31,000 miles.

14. Electra

Electra Active Member

I don't think the Honda differentiates ICE and EV miles. For that reason, I'd change it every 7,500 total miles while you're under warranty. After that, do whatever you like.

15. TomL

TomL Active Member

Sound advice from PHEVDave.

16. I think I found a good mechanic. Every review on Yelp is five stars, and it's a mobile service. I went through reviews about the local dealers, and God almighty talk about stealerships, sloppy work, bad attitude, slow, name it.