Assistance with HV Cable

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Blaze, Feb 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Blaze

Blaze New Member

Dear Group,
    First of all, I am extremely pleased with the Clarity, especially since there was a charging station at work. However, since the pandemic and working from home, the driving has significantly decreased. My wife has a Chevy Spark, which on one day, threw a handful of codes and which I limped it to the dealer for service. They informed me that a demented rodent had chewed through a harness and $1000 later it was fixed. Lo and behold, I went to my Clarity, tried to start it with no success. To misquote Gene Wilder "the little bas%$#%^ chewed through my HV A/C Cable!" I know this is going to cost me much more to fix, but searching the web found which cable needs replacing (38860-5WJ-A01). However the other end of the cable disappears along the firewall and I haven't been able to find out where the other end attaches or if it is even possible to get to without some serious dismantling. Any advice on if I should take this on will be greatly appreciated. I have work on cars a long time but it is my first attempt with the beloved Clarity.

Attached Files:

Daniel M W and Boston_Pilot like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Boston_Pilot

Boston_Pilot Active Member

Sorry bro, I’m much better at writing checks! However, going forward, perhaps a nice kitty may be in order to keep the pesky rodents at bay!

4. PHEVDave

PHEVDave Active Member

Judging from the last photo it doesn’t seem like it would be a huge job to replace it on your own, although it all depends upon your comfort level.

5. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

From the description, it seems that this cable could be carrying 300+ volts.
    Just keep that in mind and be careful if you decide to undertake the replacement.

Your little rodent friend was very lucky that he didn't get vaporized (well, maybe he did) !

Daniel M W likes this.
  6. ICanBreakIt

ICanBreakIt New Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. C5556B0D-AC0C-4BD1-B65D-482B6CCBF61E.png

Daniel M W likes this.
  9. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I believe there was a report in this forum of a Clarity that had been in an accident.
    The high-voltage system got disabled in a way that it was impossible to re-enable it without involving the dealer to issue some sort of re-enable command.

I know disconnecting the 12V battery does not require any special dealer re-enable.
    I would hope that the 3-second power button would not require anything special either, but I'm not willing to test it !!