Another fire accident in South Korea

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Sean Kim, Jan 23, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Taking your point further, I've not seen a fossil car sold by its range in a very long time. They tell you about its economy (say) 7L/100km city cycle and 5.5L/100km Highway cycle. If you ask the salesman, they might tell you it's got a 40L, 60L or 80L tank and that's it.

My Kona EV averages 13kWh/100km City, and 16.2kWh/100km Highway. It has a 64kWh " electron tank".

So, now I don't care about 100% to 0% range, I just drive it like I drove the old fossil and follow the ABC rule of EV driving.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Under ideal conditions (warm battery and down at 30% SoC) I've never seen more than 76kW when I use the 350kW chargers. And that dropped back to 74kW pretty quickly.
    Bjorn Nyland did a few videos as well and I never saw him get better than 76kW when testing the car.
    Btw, that rate drops off once you get to around 60% and you never get it if the battery is cold.

4. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

Gosh, lucky guy, driving a few times during the European winter, I haven't gone below the average of 20 yet, occasionally seeing a little over 19. I look forward to spring weather :)

electriceddy likes this.
  5. Yeah, it never gets desperately cold here :).
    For winter range indications in Europe, I'd look at what Bjorn Nyland got from the Kona on a winter test run. He seems to run a fair sort of test on the cars he writes up.

6. Very much the same weather as here in Hawkes Bay. My cabin heater PTC will never get used as the heat pump always is sufficient.

syntaxfx likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Does LG Chem (a.k.a. LG Solutions) provide the same battery for the 2021 Kona EV that they provided for the 2019 and 2020 Kona EVs?

9. Have any of the 2021 Kona EVs manufactured in Nošovice, Czechia had problems related to the high-voltage battery or related software?

electriceddy likes this.
  10. The 12,000+ Kona Electrics manufactured in the Czech Republic are not subject to the recalls and are supplied with SK Innovation NCM 811 chemistry. No fires have been reported using those cells:
    https://pushevs.com/2020/11/11/hyundai-unveils-the-new-kona-electric/

11. Answered your duplicate post #14 in the "final fix" thread;)

12. To remove this ad click here.