Newbie in USA with Questions - Home Charging Station (this time)

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by MSimpsonNJ, Feb 5, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Hello all - I just concluded negotiations on a new Kona Limited and will probably be picking it up tomorrow. I spent a ton of time researching the car and practically zero time researching a home charging station setup. Dealer told me that there are loads of options for the equipment available online (e.g., Amazon), but I have no clue what I should even be looking for.

I assume I will need an electrician to get 220 to my outer wall near my driveway (no garage, driveway goes along the side of the house, and the AC unit is located there so getting the wiring out there should not be a problem). I am open to any and all suggestion on what to get and how to do this properly for my arrangement.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Mark

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

And I will add that I did search the Forum and found a thread, but the last post was in 2019 I think, so I would think there may have been improvements in the tech since then. For starters, i don't even know what the specifications should be to set up a decent Class 2 charger for this car. Again, thanks in advance.

4. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

Universal advice: when choosing a wall "charger" (EVSE device), take into account the power of the charger installed in the car (7.2 or 11 kW). There is no point in buying an overly powerful wall charger unless you intend to use it in another car in the future (with a built-in more powerful internal charger). Second advice: pay attention if you are not afraid to leave the device outside the building (unauthorized access), or if it is better to install only a three-phase socket with a safety switch inside the building, and carry a mobile EVSE with appropriate power in the car. Third piece of advice: if you are buying a wall mounted EVSE, consider whether you prefer it to have a permanently installed Type 2 cable or a Type 2 socket, and you will carry the cable in the car and plug it into the socket every time.

5. Good advise and I'll add that you should also consider if the unit will be exposed directly to direct sunlight and weather. I'd consider installing the unit inside an outdoor-rated electrical enclosure. Also, look for a local electrician who has done home EV chargers as they will know the ins and outs.

0FD084F3-9489-4A53-BEBA-DA43763F3BBB_1_105_c.jpeg

6. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

There are several high quality chargers out there that can supply your needs. There are many considerations to account for such what is your weather like. In Northern states, nights are cold and you could have ice or snow. A flexible cable helps. A weather proof mount for the charging handle also helps. I recommend you watch a few videos from the Youtube channel of Tom Moloughney. He rates chargers for many features.
    My choice was the JuiceBox 40. On an outside installation, you have the security of only turning it on with the phone app. No one could use it as they can't activate it. It also tracks your charging sessions and text's you when there is a failure to charge or many other events if you choose. Other units can be activated by throwing the circuit breaker to prevent unwanted use. I chose the 40 amp model to give design room for the max 32 amp of my car. I also appreciate the level of support as they have a real person at the end of the phone. The first one I purchased failed in a week. They actually cross shipped one to me (w/deposit) to get it to me faster. Great customer service.
    Your new Kona EV may be different. It does require an electrician unless you know what your are doing. Outside electrical connections usually require a ground fault circuit which is to protect anyone from shock.
    Many good chargers to pick from. A lot depends on your weather and security requirements.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Since you are in the US I don't you will be able to get a type 2 cable as suggested. US cars don't have a type 2 plug, only J1772.

A big question to start with is, how much are you driving? Depending on your location and possibly public fast charging in the area, you might not even need a dedicated 220V (Lvl2) charger. The charger that covers with the car (120V) is able to charge your car about 15-20% over night.

If that's enough for the majority of your driving that that might work for you. And you could possibly cover the one in a while emergency fast charge with a public level 2 or DC fast charge.

A very good source for charger reviews is Tom Moloughneys YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/channel/UCdX0BJNon1c6GfOdeS3pyDw

KiwiME and electriceddy like this.
  9. Pheonician

Pheonician New Member

Attached Files:

KiwiME likes this.
  10. I found this charging guide provided by Tom to probably be the best one so far (not on his you tube channel):
    https://insideevs.com/features/341500/the-ultimate-buyers-guide-to-home-ev-chargers-plus-top-5-picks/
    On a personal note my older (2012) 7200W hardwired Cutler Hammer unit is still going strong - 4 EVs later. At the time I received a $250 municipal rebate and a $500 provincial rebate bringing my material cost to $200. (So check for rebates - it may be worthwhile)
    I am a Master Electrician, so I wired it myself under permit at the same time upgraded my electrical service to 200A.
    My advice is to check the calculated electrical load of your home to see what room is left for vehicle charging first before going out and purchasing an EVSE. The local Electrical Inspection branch will usually provide details on how to do that if one is not sure how, and will leave you informed if an electrician will be required to install whatever unit is selected.;)

mho likes this.
  11. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

I would start with a more basic question: Do you even need to spend the money on a fancy charger? If you don't drive more than around 300 miles a week, that plain old wall socket will take care of you just fine. That's all I use.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

No residential home in the USA will have 3-phase power. I often see 240v power referee to as 2-phase or 3-phase, but this is not correct. 240v power in a residence is single phase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericy likes this.
  14. TRSmith

TRSmith Member

I’d add to the replies: check with your municipality and your utility to see if there are additional rebates or incentives for certain EVSEs, and/or for charging during off-peak hours.

You’ll also have to think about whether you want it hardwired or not. Since it’ll be outside, you’ll probably want hardwired. If not, you’ll at least need an in-use cover for the outlet.

I personally didn’t have much use for the smart features of higher end EVSEs, so I got the AmazonBasics one. It was about $400 at the time and it does the trick.

15. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

I agree with Esprit1st and BruceM: First determine if you even need one. The EVSE that is supplied with the car will deliver 1.2 kW, about 4 miles of distance per hour of charge, or about 40 miles in 10 hr.

My work commute is short so an overnight charge is more than I need. When driving longer distances, I will plan ahead to ensure adequate charge.

I purchased a *portable* L2 EVSE that I keep in the car so I can charge when I visit relatives who live at a distance. I can plug into a 220V dryer outlet with that and charge 4x faster when there. I don’t have a 220V near my garage or I’d use it at home too, but it’s not worth the expense to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

16. I concur regarding using the portable unit although in NZ it's 1.7 kW, 80 km per 10 hours. In fact I only charge overnight about twice a week. But, I've avoided a wall unit also because it would cost several thousand $ to install and be likely limited to 16A due to my ancient 230VAC 60A house supply.

And, like me, if there's a DC charger nearby, that can provide an alternative if a charge is needed quickly, and it's cheaper to pay for that than a wall unit.

5E6F4F04-E412-46C6-960D-AD9D6DF69F38_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  17. Although questionable according to quite a few people (ask how I know) the supplied lvl1 EVSE charger that comes with the car is even able to take 220V. Same unit as in Europe where 240V is standard. It is not labeled as such, though. And I don't know if all units are like that, but mine works great on 220V supplying 2.8kW if in a pinch. As mentioned, try at your own risk!

18. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

There are hundreds of thousands of houses on Long Island (just outside NYC) with only 60amp service. Most are small with gas heat, hot water, dryer, stove, so it actually works just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

And, as the saying goes, "your mileage may vary." I typically get 280-290 miles on a full charge and plugging into my wall socket gets me about 4.6 miles per hour of charging. So plugging in for 12 hours overnight gets me about 54 miles.

20. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Thanks for this info. Mine is installed on the wall and currently unprotected. Do you happen to know the manufacturer and part number of the enclosure you have? I have a ChargePoint unit so I realize mine may not fit in that box, bit it looks like a good one so it will be a good starting point for my research.

21. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

Might be a little late for this particular thread, but for the sake of anyone who might come by in the future: It might be worth checking with your local utility if they have any incentives or programs first, since that might help narrow down your options. My local utility offers discounts on power used to charge an EV during certain times as well as a direct cash incentive for buying certain makes/models of EVSE (you need a compatible EVSE to qualify for the discount).

I have a Chargepoint Home Flex mounted outside without an enclosure and it does just fine. There is an obstruction above it that provides a bit of shelter I suppose, so it's not really subject to direct snowfall, but the unit is weather-tight and doesn't really need an enclosure unless you're worried about it freezing solid in frozen rain or wind-driven snow. If the "NJ" in your username means "New Jersey" then I can appreciate that concern especially after the past week or so :D

22. Any local electrical supplies business should be able to provide a list of available sizes and materials, or perhaps there are cheaper ones on eBay. In my case I'm more concerned about the plastics being exposed to UV over many years, and just to keep everything clean.
    I've also attached a hinge and magnet to the bottom cover so that the door can be closed while charging.

0FD084F3-9489-4A53-BEBA-DA43763F3BBB_1_105_c.jpeg

23. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Indeed that is what the NJ means and I am gleeful that I decided to jump in the deep end and drive to Florida last weekend in the Kona a week after buying it. Very messy uncomfortable weather back home right now....

Esprit1st likes this.