How does the Clarity know someone is in the passenger seat

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by leehinde, Jan 12, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

I had always assumed (for no apparent reason) that the Clarity knew someone was in the passenger seat due to weight or pressure. And, if their seat belt wasn't on, it would throw up an alert.

Today, I ordered some coffee and warmed pastries from Peet's and put the pastries on the passenger seat and got the "Please have the passenger put on their seatbelt" alert. It must be heat then.

I need to get the GF to sit in a bucket of ice and then the passenger seat to test the theory.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I’d guess it’s weight, which would trigger immediately rather than waiting for warm buns. I usually set a back pack or cooler on the seat, neither of which set off the alarm. They’re probably no more than 10lbs each.

Update: I put a cloth on the seat and added cold scuba weights until the “fasten passenger seat belt” light came on. It took about 100lbs.

You must have had quite a load of coffee and pastries.

Additional update: Page 49 in the manual mentions that an occupant in the passenger seat may not trigger the weight sensor if they do not weigh enough.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    JFon101231 and insightman like this.
  4. 60Hertz

60Hertz Member

My 70 lb. chocolate lab sets off the alert.

5. PHEVDave

PHEVDave Active Member

Well, chocolate has more calories! :)

6. My 50 lb mutt will set it off sometimes, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

My dog will set it off if he's sitting. Just 'standing' (usually his two front feet as he works his way up*) wouldn't set it off.

* Those were early days; I have him stuck in the back now.

9. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

I had insufficient data. The passenger seat belt alert has come on twice with nothing in the seat since I originally posted. I'll mention it when I take it in for the first service.

10. joethebeekeeper

joethebeekeeper New Member

Doesn't sound like your issue but, page 181 of the manuals says"Make sure that the folded seat-back does not press against the front passenger seat, as this can cause the weight sensors in the front passenger seat to work improperly." Maybe there is something stored back there pushing against the seat?

11. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

Thanks. I'll check. I know the back seat isn't down, but I've got a dog cover back there that may not be setup as well as it could be (anymore).

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Maybe the pup is angry at being relegated to the backseat and causing phantom animal spirits to weigh down the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

leehinde likes this.