Another fire accident in South Korea

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Sean Kim, Jan 23, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sean Kim

Sean Kim New Member

900d30dda79bdb7caff77a614fd0ed39.jpg
    Another fire accident occurred in Hyundai Motor's Kona electric car. It has been a month since Hyundai Motor recalled the car.

Daegu's Dalseo Fire Station said that a Kona electric vehicle fire accident occurred at 4:11 p.m. on the 23rd at a fast charging station installed in front of a taxi company in Dalseo-gu, Daegu, South Korea.

According to a fire department official, the battery of the Kona electric vehicle caught fire that day. The fire was reportedly extinguished at 7:55 p.m., about three hours and 40 minutes later.

An official from the Dalseo Fire Station said, "The vehicle has a history of being recalled in December last year. The owner of the car purchased the vehicle back in June 2018."

The owner of the car was not at the scene at the time of the fire, and a nearby citizen directly disconnected the charger connected to the vehicle.

A part of the rear seat was separated to put out the fire, and the battery part under the rear seat was burned by the fire. Parts of the interior and the exterior of the vehicle were not affected by the vehicle fire.

Hyundai sent a tow truck to the scene of the accident at 7:47 p.m. on the same day. The vehicle was taken to another location in a tow truck. Hyundai Motor has launched an investigation into the cause of the accident.
    No casualties or damage to surrounding facilities occurred from the accident. Photos of the fire at the site were taken by officials and citizens of the Dalseo Fire Station in person.

https://zdnet.co.kr/view/?no=20210123205600

milesian and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I was just thinking today that we hadn't heard of any post-recall.

The back seat is of course where the battery is accessible in order to reach the isolation/fuse plug, and the pressure-equalizing vent is in that plug as well.

Thanks for keeping us up to date, Sean.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  4. While reading this hot topic, I couldn't help pondering the brave nearby citizen who disconnected the charger from the burning car:eek:
    Maybe they are getting somewhat used to this, but I for one would want to be as far away as possible after seeing the explosions previous. At least no one was injured.
    Wonder how many 9's and 6's next months band aid TSB will contain?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    mho likes this.
  5. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

What struck me most about this fire is this:

"The vehicle has a history of being recalled in December last year. The owner of the car purchased the vehicle back in June 2018."

So, it can be said that the current BMS update cannot prevent fires. It just leads to a false sense of security that it does. Not only that, the BMS update can brick your car without warning. I am so glad that I did not do the recall.

The common denominator for most of these fires is this:

Fast charging. I will stay away from fast charging.

As for charging to 100% while fast charging in causing these fires, we will need more info. But I don't charge over 80% even when I am not fast charging.

6. That might work for the immediate future, but severely limits the potential Kona EV has to offer. The original explosion in Montreal happened while storing in a garage (not while charging AC or DC):
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/exploding-kona-electric.6342/
    Another issue with not having the recall work done (other than the safety aspect) is the vehicle may be harder to sell at full resale value, pending if the buyer does their homework and checks for open recalls prior to purchase. The manufacture is relieved of any legal responsibility once you have been contacted with the notice of the recall to be done and the owner chooses not to have it applied.
    Obviously the battery pack had a problem in production in the early models whether it was the separators or whatever, it would be best to have Hyundai deal with it at their cost however inconvenient to the owners.
    JMHO

mho and KiwiME like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

If my understanding is correct, the owner of the exploding Kona in Montreal have yet to receive ANY compensation from Hyundai. Hyundai has yet to admit liability, and it is his homeowner's insurance that is covering the cost of repairs. Has ANY of the Kona EVs owners that caught fire in Korea been compensated at all from Hyundai???

OK, now I have to wait and see how this recent poor owner will be dealt with by Hyundai, even thought he had been a good little boy and underwent all the recalls like he is supposed to. I will doubt very much he will be compensated either.

Hyundai can blame alot of things when your vehicle is up in smoke even though you went through all the recalls. Hyundai can say, "You should sue LG Chem instead, because it was a battery problem." If your car was fast charging when it went up in smoke, they can say "Maybe Electrify America's charger had something to do with it."

You get the point. The root cause for the fires has yet to be known. Hyundai had been investigating for well over a year, and we never got an answer.

As for selling the vehicle, I will be very hesitant in private deals. I don't think I can stomach any legal ramifications if the car goes up in smoke after selling it, whether it had undergone all the recalls or not. The person you sold it to can sue not only the manufacturer, but also you. I will sell it back to the manufacturer instead....and eat any loss. You cannot expect to get the car's full resell value, when most buyers know that your vehicle has problems with catching fires.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  9. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

You are correct.

Over discharge, over charge and heat slowly damaged the membrane between the layers of the battery. Once the membrane is breached a fire occurs. Damage is cumulative and can occur over several years. You can detect some anomalies but you cannot prevent a fire caused my membrane breakdown over many months/years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Recall that one of the first fixes was to the battery cooling. Before the fix, the compressor would come on, but no chilled water entered the battery. So there could have been some damage right at the start if people were using DCFC in the summer before they got the 1st fix.

11. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Agree and if it was just a few instance of damage it likely isn’t an issue now that no further damage is likely to occur post update. It’s the batteries that were pushed near failure before the update that can’t be expected to have no further risk.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I suppose their hope was that they could flag any damaged batteries with extra checking. It costs them a small fortune to replace a battery pack, but that's still way better than a battery fire.

We are assuming the most recent car had in fact been updated, but it is also possible that it never had any updates. Unfortunately Hyundai is unlikely to tell us much of anything about what they find.

14. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Agree.

15. Sean Kim

Sean Kim New Member

As for the Kona EVs that caught a fire, rumor has it that Hyundai first contact the owners and propose certain compensation under terms of absolute secrecy. The owners are not allowed to tell any of information on their cars, how much they get compensated, etc. Hyundai also asks them to delete all postings with the photos of burnt cars for compensation. Apparantly, Hyundai offers money compensation for the car according to its production year and milage.

16. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

I wonder if there's a difference in charging infrastructure in South Korea than over here in the States that's causing this. Do they do more fast charging over there?

ttsherpa likes this.
  17. Sean Kim

Sean Kim New Member

As far as I know, there is no difference between the two countries when it comes to the charging speed (or capacity?) of fast chargers.

18. ttsherpa

ttsherpa New Member

True because it's happening more there than US+EU combined. And I would say that , for now, less bricked Konas after the BMS update here in Europe, compared to the US (and Corea of course)

19. redgrandam

redgrandam New Member

Have they changed battery manufactures between 2018 and now?

syntaxfx likes this.
  20. The Kona won't draw any more than 75kW from a DC charger (assuming the charger can deliver that much).

21. Telek

Telek New Member

Is that just for the battery, or in total? I.e. if battery and cabin heat are running, will that push it above 75kW from the DC charger?

22. CharlyM

CharlyM Member

I think folks in South Korea have a tendency to fast charge to 100% a lot more than folks in the United States from looking at the comments in the forum ? Lots of people being upset by the "pause" at 90-94%, and I've never had the patience to go over 85% here even when paying by the kwh.

ttsherpa likes this.
  23. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

The problem with the whole EV market is advertising the range taking the battery from 100 to 0. If the industry was honest they world advertise the “Recommended” range as 80-20% capacity with a “flex/emergency” range of 100-0%. But they won’t... That would bypass emotion with logic.