Hyundai IONIQ 5 reveal

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Kendalf, Jan 25, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

Preview video for the upcoming Ioniq 5 worldwide premiere is now live.

Hyundai is going all out with the pizzazz, putting the Ioniq 5 into some sort of secret agent movie. :D

The video does provide some additional views of the front and rear lighting. I'm particularly intriqued by the rear pixel lighting, which spans across the entire rear. Up to now we still haven't seen any except for the brake light portion lit up, so I'm very curious what the other LED pixels will be used for?
    [​IMG]

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. This is great! Good eye.
    So, I guess we now know the official reveal is Feb 1, at 11:00 PM PST (2:00 AM EST, Feb 2).

4. Hey, @Kendalf. I should also thank you and note that your sharing of all this spawned this article on InsideEVs. I really appreciate your efforts and your enthusiasm for this car.

Kendalf likes this.
  5. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

Ha, thanks Domenick! It's been a blast trying to find all the info that I can about this car. Looking forward to the full reveal in 1 week!

For me personally, it would be nice if it was user customizable and we can do some sort of KITT/Cylon (chose your 70's-80's poison) effect. :cool:

Domenick likes this.
  6. Nozuka

Nozuka New Member

The same trailer is now on the official Hyundai Channel. Sadly it says Mid February now.

*moderator: Hyundai made video private, so replaced with same footage from a different channel.

Kendalf and Domenick like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Thanks, Nozuka, and it's great to see you here! The post, as I imagine you know, has been updated.

Kendalf likes this.
  9. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

Yup, sad to have to wait a bit longer now. From what I read, Hyundai's Youtube channel initially posted the video at the top, but then took it down shortly after (but not before someone downloaded it and posted it to their own channel). But it looks like they took it down to make the change to the reveal date.

Domenick likes this.
  10. Thanks for that explanation. I searched a ton of Hyundai media sites looking for the source. Thought it was weird this one channel had it.

11. Now, Hyundai has made this video private. This could mean the date is being pushed back yet again. I'll try to see if I can get a response from them but suspect the US team won't have permission to discuss.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

I heard a rumor (no source given) that due to the recent price cuts to the Tesla Model 3 last week, Hyundai needs some time to recalculate what it will announce as the starting price of the IONIQ 5. I'm all for a delayed announcement if it means lower prices!

Domenick likes this.
  14. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

A bit more thought on the IONIQ 5 announcement delay. My guess (hope) is that the delay isn't so much that Hyundai needs more time to figure out the lower price point for the car, but that the lower price point will be at or very close to the current price for the Kona EV and Kia e-Niro, which will very likely then cut into sales of those cars. So Hyundai may be putting off the announcement as long as possible in hopes of getting a few more weeks of sales of those vehicles at current pricing.

Domenick likes this.
  15. According to this report, the Ioniq 5 will go to Europe first. They suggest that will happen in March, so I'm still hoping for a February reveal.

Kendalf likes this.
  16. salant76

salant76 Member

Chris over at his Battery Life YouTube channel "Rumor is out that the Ioniq 5 world premiere is on February 21."

17. I went through a few of his videos and couldn't find this remark, but I'll keep the 21st in mind.

18. salant76

salant76 Member

8EADF4FC-A37B-4D11-ADC1-A9E1B7255484.jpeg
    He posted it on the community tab under his channel.

Domenick and electriceddy like this.
  19. It could be Saturday in my time zone seeing as Korea is 17 hours ahead so adjust your calendar accordingly. Thanks for the heads up.

20. salant76

salant76 Member

21. kingzac

kingzac New Member

I don't see anything saying the 16th in that image or in the link. Link just says what the image does, that originally it was the 2nd, and now that it is a vague "Mid-February"

22. The Korean Car Blog has a new post with this "U.S.-spec" version of the Ioniq 5 (see the orange reflector in the headlight assembly?) and reiterate the 16th as the date. They don't give a source for that date.
    They say the Feb 2nd reveal was canned because of coronavirus situation in Europe, where they claim it will begin deliveries as soon as March (U.S. in the 2nd half of the year).