Is an App available for the 2019 model Kona in Europe?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Bob Long, Jan 21, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bob Long

Bob Long Member

My dealer here in Norway says that an App is only available for the 2020 model Kona and onwards, but not for the original 2018/19 model.
    I had a reply from a US Kona owner with a 2019 model saying that he has the App......
    Also a tow hitch is not available as an option on the 2019 model either, compared to the 2020 model which can be fitted at a later date.
    In Europe the Konas are produced in either S Korea or the Czech Republic, and as far as I know it’s only the Czech Republic models that can have the App and tow hitch.
    Can anyone clarify?
    Many thanks

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

It depends - does the car have a cellular modem, or does it only have WiFi? I thought that in 2019, many European cars only had WiFi - in 2020 they switched to cellular, which makes the app possible.

In the U.S., the 2019 model came with the cellular modem.

Bob Long likes this.
  4. Bob Long

Bob Long Member

Not sure whether it’s WiFi or not, any idea how I can find this out?
    I will get in touch with our Hyundai dealer in the morning.
    Thanks for your swift reply :)
    Kind regards, Bob

5. As far as I know the European models didn't have an app/cell modem until the 2020MY.
    In the US they always did. My 2019 has an app.

KiwiME likes this.
  6. Bob Long

Bob Long Member

Thanks for the info. Surprised that the 2018/19 models didn’t have the app, especially here in freezing Norway!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    Because Hyundai Europe had not done a deal with a mobile service provider to cover Europe and the UK, so there wasn't any point putting the Cell Modem into the car. Blue Link services launched late 2019 in Europe and you needed a Kona with the 10.5" infotainment system to use it!

John.

https://www.hyundai.news/eu/brand/bluelinkr-connected-car-services-on-all-models/

9. Bob Long

Bob Long Member

Many thanks John, very interesting,
    Kind regards,
    Bob