Will you need a motorcycle license to drive Aptera?

Discussion in 'Aptera' started by electriceddy, Dec 16, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. mho likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I think Aptera should collect all the current regulations in the markets it plans to sell in and share them all their website. A customer should be able to punch in Florida (or Alberta, or where ever), and have the current state (provincial) regulations displayed. That way, not only could people see what the rules are, they can also begin lobbying for change if the existing rules are bad.

Right now, if you want to look up what the rules are, I'd suggest searching the web for the state (or province) and Polaris Slingshot (I'm thinking that vehicle may be the closest thing out there).

4. Domenick - The Polaris Slingshot is not enclosed so I'm not sure if the regulations for it will be a close match for the Aptera or not. Just my .02

I totally agree on the the need for them to provide the tool you described.

Domenick and electriceddy like this.
  5. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Strangely enough, Elio did much of the legislative legwork in the US, going state-by-state promoting the "enclosed autocycle" designation in regards to licensing and helmet requirements. In MS, for example, Aptera will be licensed as an autocycle, insured and taxed as a motorcycle, drivers will not need a motorcycle operator's license nor will helmets be required.

In terms of our state's "EV Punishment Tax" ($150/year on EVs, $75/year on hybrids, $75/year on electric motorcycles), Aptera owners will pay the motorcycle rate. Just last month, btw, the State Legislature decided that golf carts, NEVs and electric bicycles were not to be considered as "motor vehicles."

I hope the current Federal administration will adopt a national "autocycle" standard: Arkansas, for example, explicitly makes driving a 3-wheeled electric vehicle illegal on any state highway and West Virginia requires autocycle passengers to be helmeted. So anyone driving up Interstate 81 from TN to NY in an Aptera would need to don a helmet for the 26 miles it crosses WVA.

Domenick and electriceddy like this.