Torque Pro on the Kona - overview and setup for interested owners

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by KiwiME, Sep 26, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Yes than What ? I sill don't know what I have to do? I can change from C to F but still show celcius with F?? I know I have to modify PID 220100 ,but I don't how.Thank You .

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

I can't answer your question until I know what you are using. Are you using Torque Pro?

4. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Torque Pro allows changing units via Settings > Units

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

electriceddy likes this.
  5. Yes !!!!

electriceddy likes this.
  6. hieronymous

Then follow post #200, tell me what you see..

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Thanks,I will try to do that.

9. I see exactly the same ,what is next step

10. hieronymous

OK, check post #203 to see if your display temperature setting is for F or C..

11. This will display indoor temperature I need modification for Fahrenheit, not for Celsius!!!!!!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Anybody in here using their OBD2 dongle and Torque Pro regularily?
    I am looking for a couple adventureous people (geeks) who would be interested in testing something out with me.

Thanks

14. Perhaps it would help to expand on that?

Toolworker and davidtm like this.
  15. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Semi-regularly, when I think there's something worth checking or I need to test something. Otherwise,
    at this point I pretty much know what's going on with the car from the stock displays.

_H*

16. Yeah, I'm the same, pretty much done with understanding the workings and don't really bother much now with TP.

17. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Now that a few in-person car events might start happening again, I'll note that having the "geek gauges"
    on a nice big tablet makes a fun display to show off. Main pack current can be changed while sitting still
    by running heat or cooling, 12V and LDC by playing with lights and fans and windows.

_H*

18. hieronymous

Not on any of my many short local trips, but for significant highway travel probably needing a charge along the way, I have TP predict my arrival SOC in real time, early and accurately.

19. milesian

milesian New Member

Check out the OBD2 for Android Auto app, puts Torque right on my infotainment. Nice way to show off gauges and use on regular basis.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/app-5-0-obd2-plugin-for-android-auto-use-torque-with-androidauto.3657805/

App is clunky but has worked solid for me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

electriceddy likes this.
  20. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I recently transitioned from a 2019 to a 2021 Kona [long story], and have found that a couple of
    the parameters I was watching have changed, Specifically, the maximum charge and discharge
    power figures, which generally read around 170 (kW) when the pack is in most of the midrange SOC.

These were CAN ID 7E4, mode 22, PID 0101, with math to resolve to kilowatts:

. . . ((F*256)+G)/100 for charge [e.g. max theoretical regen power]
    . . . ((H*256)+I)/100 for discharge [e.g. max deliverable to GO]

In the 2021, these both come up as 0. I`m assuming that they're somewhere else in that
    same data block, and will go searching around in some of those blank items in the spreadsheet
    at some point, but does anyone know of updated info from Jeju et al?

Everything else seems to come up the same and look normal. And this car also has that C017
    DTC about motor resolver calibration permanently set right off the dealer lot, so that may just
    be a bug that nobody needs to care about. Not all scantools even show it, notably a dealer's
    GDS included.

_H*

21. herode10

herode10 Member

The max regen and max power has changed since the first BMS software update not only for 2021 model. I posted this few months ago:
    Max Power & Max Regen are still available but you need to update the PID and the bytes in the Torque Pro. Thoses values have always been available on 2 different PIDs: 220101 and 220105. The values on 220101 have been replaced by something else with the BMS software update but they are stiil available on 220105. For the Max Power, change to PID 220105 and replace bytes f & g for q & r. For Max Regen, change to PID 220105 and replace bytes h & i for s & t

KiwiME likes this.
  22. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Much appreciated, I'll try that next time I have the car powered up. I had missed that prior post, but
    then again I wasn't expecting a BMS upgrade, at least not one that came with a whole new car wrapped
    around it. Out of burning and long-term curiosity, how did you [and relevant others] determine this info?
    Are there people still actively sniffing GDS sessions and publishing the mappings?

I had started to explore some of the unlabeled bytes in the spreadsheet copy I had, looking for outputs
    in the neighborhood of 170, but hadn't gotten that far down 220105. Might have eventually stumbled
    across it, but blind-trying is somewhat tedious and unreliable...

_H*

23. herode10

herode10 Member

Found an Excel speadsheet somewhere on Github if I remember. A mixture of Soul an Kona pids of different control units. To analyse the pid requests and responses, I use SoulEvSpy. It has a log of all requests and responses in hexadecimal.