Canadian Kona charging at up to 93kw

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Jan 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

Those figures imply no more than 70kW (75/54*50) - Pretty sure that "100kW" just means "no longer limited by charger output"

Andre Laurence likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. That exact same statement was found in the 2019 model year brochure. It lead to quite a lot of people believing the Kona was always able to charge at 100kW. So I don't believe that can be taken as a statement that the 21MY can charge at 100kW.
    Until we see all 21MY cars charge at that speed I have a hard time believing it. It's also pretty impossible that the heater draws 20 kW as mentioned by others.

With the battery problems Hyundai had (spontaneous self ignition) it is possible that they changed manufacturers or something that allows them to charge at higher speeds. It is weird though that there is nothing mentioned anywhere about such changes.

Andre Laurence likes this.
  4. I agree and understand, but the Kona in the video is getting close to 100kW charging speeds so the charge limit of that car is at least 95kW and well beyond the previous limit of 75. Considering that the older cars, including my 2019 Niro EV, max out at 75kW in practice, on 350kW DCFC, the Kona in the video has something different going on in the programming. I would love to see a new 2021 charge to know if it is just a glitch with this particular car, or if it is now standard.

Esprit1st likes this.
  5. herode10

herode10 Member

Totally agree. It took over an hour to charge to 80%... With a max charging power of 77kW, charging time to 80% is about 50mins.This is definitly a faulty power indication.

6. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I wonder if the Niro dash displays net or gross power on the dash.. What I mean is that I wonder if it displays the energy going into the battery or like the Kona, the energy received from the charger? For example, if the charger delivers 77kw to the car and the battery cooling is running, the battery only receives 75kw as battery cooling uses 2kw.. I know that the highest that I have seen prior to this video was 77kw on the Kona.. As battery cooling is likely on at that charging speed, the NET power to the battery is likely 75kw when the dash shows 77kw.. The only way to really know is with an OBD2 reader.. I know that when I charge my Kona and battery cooling kicks in (AC+water pumps), the energy received by the battery drops by 2kw.. So, if the dash shows 48kw, the car reports receiving 46kw as 2 kw are used to cool the battery..

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It actually says in the dash that heating/cooling will slow charging speed, which underlines your statement that heating/cooling is reducing energy going to the battery.

9. FloridaSun

On the Kona or the Niro or both? I never saw a message on the dash related to that..

10. In my Kona. If you have the car turned on during charging and turn on the heater/AC it will say that message.

navguy12 likes this.
  11. navguy12

navguy12 Well-Known Member

To confirm: one is able to DC high power charge the Kona whilst the car is "on" (not what I call accessory mode and thus draining the 12 volt battery)? Thanks.

Esprit1st likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Yes, including climate functions use.

navguy12 likes this.
  14. FloridaSun

Yes, this just tells you that you will charge slower because INTERIOR accessories are slowing down the charging.. However, what I'm talking about is when the car is OFF and charging and battery cooling comes on, the car does NOT tell you that it's reducing charge power due to cooling being active. Dash number of kw received will not drop when battery cooler comes on, yet in Torque Pro you can see that 2 kw less are getting into the battery.
    I would NOT recommend to anyone running the AC while charging on DC FAST (Heater is ok). This is NOT due to the power it consumes but due to the FACT that cooling your car while charging WILL REDUCE COOLING OF YOUR BATTERY. Heat is the worst enemy of your battery.. I prefer the battery to be cooled as good as possible to reduce degradation.. I have run comparisons with Torque Pro and running cooling or even the fan when charging DC Fast on a hot day will increase battery temperature while charging.. So, if there is an air conditioned place around where you are charging, it will be better for your car if you wait there for the session to complete instead of sitting in the car with the AC on..

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    navguy12 likes this.
  15. This one:
    [​IMG]

navguy12 and Esprit1st like this.
  16. Read these posts with interest as today I stopped at a Petro Canada fast charger and my car actually hit 80kw charge rate, this was as shown on the dash of the car and on the Petro Canada charge station display. I had never seen higher than 72 kw before today. Charging was started at about 40km left and we charged up to 230 just to get home. By the time I unplugged it had dropped back to 71kw. We had the car off at the time and no other power draw

XtsKonaTrooper and navguy12 like this.
  17. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

The most I've seen at PC is 77 but seen it flutter back and forth fm 77-78 but never seen 78 go solid, hehe
    Aside fm that , given a choice I'd rather charge at low speed at home then using fast chargers.