Vibration when applying power at HWY Speeds

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by CanuckTom, Dec 31, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CanuckTom

CanuckTom Member

Hi Everyone,

Been a while since I've participated in this forum. I'm a happy owner of a 2019 Niro SX in Canada and now have almost 38,000 km on the car with basically no issues.

I have noticed the last couple if weeks that when traveling at highway speeds ~120 km/h and the car either goes up hill and power is applied to keep speed I notice a vibration throughout the car. It's felt in the steering wheel, but the whole car seems to shake (I can feel it in my butt through the seat).

I'm currently running on Michelin X-Ice 3's on 17" steel rims for winter, I've hit no pot holes or anything and the alignment and tire pressures have been double checked. Also, I don't think it's a wheel issue because the vibration is noticible when adding power and not when cruising at a steady speed on flat ground, and least noticible when actually off the power and getting some gentle Regen.

I'm hoping other Niro owners will have a try and see if they have any of the same symptoms or find out if this may be something owners who've had engine/reduction gear issues have noticed.

I have yet to go to the dealer with the car about this and I'm going to, but am just checking to see if anyone else has dealt with this.

Thanks and sorry for the long winded post.

Happy 2021!

Tom

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. blue_door

blue_door Member

Does the vibration get stronger if you apply more throttle? Is the vibration audible as well? I have noticed a similar vibration in my 2020 but it only happens between 68-75 MPH. I feel it in the steering wheel and hear it, but can't feel it in the car otherwise. To me, it feels like a bearing that is resonating in the drivetrain at these speeds. The vibration increases with more throttle, lessens when throttle released. It will be interesting to see what your dealership says.

4. CanuckTom

CanuckTom Member

Yes, I experience the same behaviour.

I do also hear a sound that to me does sound like potentially a bearing sound, and I notice a definite change when I come off the throttle and begin to coast/regen. The sound is less noticable than the vibration as even road noise and the radio seems to drown it out. The sound is most noticable when accelerating or driving at around 70-90 km/h as this is when road noise least drowns it out.

5. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

Y'all need to balance your tires.

6. blue_door

blue_door Member

This has nothing to do with tire balance. You don't "hear" a poorly balanced tire. The frequency is way higher than tire rotation frequency at 70 mph (11-13hz).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I vote for a resonance... I've noticed a few at different speeds.

9. IanM

IanM New Member

In the middle of where a rear axle would be, a little to the rear of the battery, viewed from the rear, I have a strange block, say 8cm X 8cm X 8cm suspended by a simple bracket. I have asked my garage and was told it is an anti-resonance device which adds just the right amount of weight at just the right place to stop exactly what you are describing and is quite common on modern cars.

Do your cars have this device or is it simply a UK thing to tune the car to our shabby roads?

If you do have one it seems a simple job to remove it for a few days to see what happens?

10. CanuckTom

CanuckTom Member

Hi all,

Been a while since I posted this, it's been a busy last few weeks.

Took the car to the dealer about 10 days ago finally... After a thorough check the technician determined it was out of balance tires. Apparently one was out so far as to need just shy of 2 oz of counterweights. Apparently the shop that installed the winter tires decided no counterweights were needed at all (something I've never seen before).

Anyways, after the 4 wheel balance, smooth driving. I do however still notice a hum that does seem associated with application of power at around 60+ km/h but I also wonder if it's just the extra tire noise from the winter tires.

Just wanted to come back and share what the final verdict ended up being.

Thank you all for the comments and for the person that suggested a tire imbalance and I shrugged it off, I apologize, you were right.

Cheers!

jeff_h likes this.