Holy GoM range loss Batman!

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Dec 19, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Went on a road trip today... 410 miles total, some towns at 45 to 55 mph and the rest (90% of the trip was at 70 to 85 mph). My average consumption for the trip was a respectable 3.8 mi/kwh. I left my home at 252 mile GoM estimate @ 80% (it was high as I drove 80% around town lately). When I got back, my 80% GoM estimate was down by 49 miles to 203 miles range..by far the lowest I have ever had.
    The entire trip was free. Only charged at free chargers..

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

I don’t know where you live, but it’s sure been cold here lately (Maryland, USA). I expect my range will be lower as a result .

Free charging is wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. Warms temps here in NZ, just did a 300km round trip to 750m elevation and back at 13.9 kWh/100km. That’s 4.5 m/kWh. 3 up and AC on return leg.

ehatch likes this.
  5. FloridaSun

I'm in Florida, so no heater use.. Drove from Central Florida (Lakeland) to Sunrise (Ft. Lauderdale suburb).
    I left my home at 80% charge and charged in Avon Park from 57 to 92% on a free DC fast charger. Avon Park is about 50 miles from my home..
    Arrived at Sawgrass mills mall in Sunrise (to do some Christmas shopping) at about 30% or so.. Was shopping for about 3 hours while my car was connected to the free Level 2 charger at the mall (6kw charger). When I left, I was at 61%. Went to Alligator Alley Harley Davidson (3 miles from the mall) and went from 60 - 80%.. Those chargers are slow (24kw Chargepoing DC Fast), so it took 38 mins to charge from 60 to 80%. Drove from Harley Davidson back to the same free 50kw charger in Avon Park and arrived at 17% SoC.. Took advantage and charged up to 90% in Avon Park and arrived back home at 72%..
    I usually leave home at 100% and upon arrival in South Florida, I charge at Electrify to 80% and then get the remaining 20% of charge to get back to 100% at the mall's Level 2 charger.. However, now that there is the free 50kw charger in Avon Park, I take full advantage of it.. Those chargers may become "PAY" after 2022.. They are guaranteed to remain free for another 2 years.. Thanks DUKE Energy..

6. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Details of charging are not so important as temperature, speed and terrain. These are the factors that will affect your consumption. Here in winter even without the heater, we see a 20% drop in GOM. Cold batteries (not heated in Kona) take a big toll. Uphill without downhill takes a chunk. Finally, but not so significant, your freeway speeds are less efficient.
    3.8 is rather low for Florida. No big mountain passes and usually warm temps. The Kona at 3.8 is actually more efficient than a lot of other EVs.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

It was a little chilli when I left at 5 am.. Battery minimum temp never reached 77F..
    On the way back, Battery was over 80 degrees.. Air temperature was in the 70's..
    Terrain is all flat..

9. CharlyM

CharlyM Member

64 * 3.8 * 0.8 = 194 miles, so nothing too surprising here :)

FloridaSun likes this.
  10. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

I don't care where you live. Don't get the Battery Updates. I received two different battery recalls. The dealer installed both. Said they were software updates. Before the first update I was getting 325 mile electric range. After update the range dropped to 298. Forum members told me after each new charge it would go up. It slowly rose to 315 after 3 or 4 charges. A few weeks ago I had the 2nd battery software update. The dealer charged it and when they returned it to me the battery showed 100% with a range of 297. I charged it 1 more time myself since then, letting the battery go down to 5% before the 2nd charge. After 9 hours of charging I was right back where I started, at 297. I complained to the dealer and asked if there was some way of adjusting the electronics and getting the range back up to my original 325. After consulting with his Tech guru they told me there is no way to adjust any settings on the car to increase the EV range. I don't believe them. Not saying they are lying. I'm saying I don't think they are sufficiently knowledgeable to give me the correct answer. Just my opinion.

11. FloridaSun

I think that your driving history is wiped out from the BMS every time they do an update.. I don't think that the dealer can do anything about it.. I had both updates (960 and 196) done and after a few days, my range went back up to 309 miles at 90%.. that's about 350 miles at 100%.. I personally have stopped worrying about the GoM.. After 42k miles, I KNOW that around town I get 330 - 350 mile range and on the highway 200 - 280 mile range depending on how fast I'm going.. At 60 mph, I even get over 280 mile range.. at 65 mph I get about 270 mile range and at 70 mph about 240 mile range.. 80 mph is about 200 mile range or even less.. This is all regardless of what the GoM shows, Even if you drive for weeks around town and your GoM shows 350 miles and then you go on a road trip at 70 mph, the GoM estimate does NOT give you 350 mile range at 70 mph.. It's just a guess based on your driving habits.. I rather look at my battery percent and accessory use/speed to estimate myself how far I can go in the CURRENT conditions.. the GoM estimates your range based on PREVIOUS driving and only slowly adapts to your current driving.

FISHEV and ehatch like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. CharlyM

CharlyM Member

Yeah, it's just getting colder outside, even in California :). I've noticed range going down as well recently, but that's just because it's 15C/60F outside and the battery is a bit colder than that, especially if you drive in the morning or you park in the shade.

14. FloridaSun

100%.. Even if you don't use the heater, efficiency is lower if battery temperature is below mid 70's..

15. ralphie_boy

ralphie_boy New Member

I am following with interest. Will get an electric for my next car. If I can't afford a Tesla, will get a Chevy Bolt. Then watch out! I am a hypermiler. I will beat everything but Tesla. Mark my words!

16. FloridaSun

I got 358.8 miles with 29 miles remaining on my car once.. 6.0 mi/kwh.. Try to beat that...
    My average over 40k miles is 4.7 mi/kwh which averages about 300 miles per charge..

17. ralphie_boy

ralphie_boy New Member

It's on! I used to eke out up to 25mpg in 1986 3 Liter six cylinder powered Toyota Cressida. I had the car 16 years and never needed new brake pads.

18. FloridaSun

WOW, that's impressive.. I had a 2012 Hyndai Elantra which I bought new.. I averaged 39.3 mpg and my best was over 45 mpg..

As for the Kona, I have not seen anyone in real driving conditions achieve close to 390 mile range... Of course, if you drive circles at 35 mph, you'll get better than that without a doubt..

19. I'll have to add to the general understanding that calculated data in the car is initially inaccurate after Campaign 196 (the latest BMS update) which I had 14 Dec. My understanding of the workings is that it's entirely down to the zeroing of the battery energy odometers. The last CEC/CED readings I had before the updates was around 2600 kWh while now I'm at under 100. Without more working history all resulting calculations are going to have noticeable errors with perhaps the one exception being when you're at 100% SoC where cell voltage peaks at about 4.17 V and pack voltage about 408 V.
    The good news is that accuracy will improve quickly with continued driving.

I've also noticing that (based on BM2 data) after any drive or charge event the car gets busy doing something every half hour for several hours, presumably trying to predict the traction battery's future viability.

20. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Had the second update,and updated the map. After the November map update. Plus some driving.The GOM dropped about 29% in the same month with average at,or below 0C temps.Charged post highway driving so the battery's warmed up.I even managed to turtle my Kona where I had range zeroed outo_OI think I previously said the update didn't reduce my range,clearly premature. I will say neither weather,or temperature had any impact only because winter has become consistent.Consumption met government rating. November map update is worse than the August update,noticed lost features: traffic indicator colors,street side alert,map is now only regional /area view versus street level. IMG_20201227_002033.jpg

21. I charged to 90% after the BMS updates and the GOM was 247 miles. I used to get at least 270 miles @ 90% prior to the BMS updates.

22. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

9% or 23 miles isn't too bad,especially if your winter weather changes in temperature? Read my December 27 post,I lost 29% , range has become more unpredictable ,thus turtle mode happened,plus 0 range available.