Weber Auto Video on Honda Hybrid System

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Agzand, Dec 13, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

I posted this under Honda forum but I guess many users don't read that forum, so I am posting again. This channel has the best EV drivetrain videos on YouTube.

Vic, PHEVDave, Domenick and 8 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

BTW the generator on Accord hybrid is 106 kW maximum output (2.0L 143 HP engine), so for Clarity it should be about 77 KW or 103 HP.

4. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Excellent video

Agzand likes this.
  5. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

This is great.
    Seeing the actual mechanism like this is much more effective than just looking at diagrams.

Bender, Agzand and Daniel M W like this.
  6. Daniel M W

Daniel M W Member

Thanks for sharing!, what a good video!

Agzand likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Fascinating! Thanks for sharing. But does anyone know why the Clarity BEV with the same electric motor puts out significantly more torque than the PHEV? I would like to see the guy in the video explain that.

Agzand likes this.
  9. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Agzand likes this.
  10. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

The motor torque can be easily limited by electronics. If the battery provide more power and the software allows it they can get more torque from the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Domenick likes this.
  11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

upload_2020-12-13_14-58-20.png

Doesn't horsepower = kW * 1.341? If so, 135 kW * 1.341 = 181.035, which corresponds to Honda's 181 hp spec for the Clarity PHEV.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

Nice video. I think I need to pop open the hood and imagine all the gears running inside the housing!
    Also very interesting how so little space was needed to drive the car in electric mode and proved how inefficient ICE really are.

14. PHEVDave

PHEVDave Active Member

Because the Clarity BEV has a bigger battery?

Domenick likes this.
  15. Carro con enchufe

Carro con enchufe Active Member

This was helpful to see. Thanks!

16. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The Clarity Plug-In Hybrid's electric motor puts out 181 hp and 232 lb-ft of torque.
    The Clarity Electric offered only 161 hp and 221 lb-ft of torque.
    I've never read they have the same electric motor.

17. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

My guess is that the BEV and PHEV has the same electric motor. Maybe the plug-in got 20 more HP because of combination of ICE and electric motor?

Domenick likes this.
  18. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

In going to think about this video every time it locks in while going 65.

My next question is how the paddles work. Do they change a gear, inductive resistance, or apply the mechanical brakes?

19. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

@turtleturtle , the paddle tell how much electricity will produce from the generator. Braking is done with inductive resistance.

20. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Thanks!

21. Bender

Bender Active Member

More specifically, the paddle applies a consistent deceleration, through regenerative braking. IMO, only useful to me if I was on a long even slope down, which I never am, and if I also wasn't using cruise control. Otherwise it would require constant babysitting of the acceleration pedal to cancel out the constant slowing from the paddle. Some people prefer the paddles more though. Or it might also be useful in mountain driving.

The deceleration pedal on the floor will also do regenerative braking (with more control rather than three fixed amounts) unless you brake hard, in which case it will use the brakes or some combination.

22. Very informative. One error he makes is stating that Engine Drive Mode engages at a speed of 62mph or above. It will engage at a speed of 45mph or above.

Regenerative braking is handled electronically through the motor controller. The paddles offer 4, light to moderate levels of regenerative braking. The brake pedal has the ability to offer substantially more regen, under certain conditions. The friction brakes, when active, do not produce regenerative braking energy.

Another interesting figure from the video, is the 106kW generator. This converts to 142hp. It may be capable of generating 142hp, but not while being driven by a 103hp engine.

turtleturtle likes this.
  23. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

Keep in mind that this is from an Accord hybrid, which incidentally has a 143 hp 2.0 engine! The generator in Clarity and Insight should be around 100 hp.