Emissions System Problem

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Randy Stegbauer, Dec 11, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. This week my 2018 Clarity started displaying "Emissions System Problem" on the dashboard. It also displayed the check engine light. The ICE would kick in frequently even when I didn't "ask" for it.

I took it to Honda and they diagnosed a bad cell in the 12 volt battery which they replaced under warranty. They mentioned that a weak battery can cause problems like this.

Has anyone else seen anything similar?

Peace and Health,
    Randy Stegbauer

Emissions System Problem.jpg

sabasc likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Not sure if you have a question, but definitely take it to the dealership and let us know what happens.

4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

My gut says this doesn't sound like a 12V battery problem.
    I think a problem with the 12V battery would not be this specific.

It is not impossible, nor is it unreasonable for the dealer to try this first (under warranty), but I have some doubt.

Please keep us posted... it will be interesting to learn what the final solution is.

5. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

The computer must have throw some code out. Did the dealer provide the code in the work write-up?

sabasc likes this.
  6. When did you last purchase gas?

A loose fuel fill cap can send that error.

sabasc and MrFixit like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Honda reported: B1235 - Problem In The Driver Side Air Mix Control Linkage, Door, Or Motor Circuit.

Nothing similar to "emissions". :-(

And now my wife reported that the "Emissions System Problem" message is back after driving it today. :-(

I'll take it back on Monday and let you know what they say.

Randy

sabasc likes this.
  9. I just checked it and it *appeared* tight. I opened and retightened it.

Randy

10. joethebeekeeper

joethebeekeeper New Member

The only time I have had the emissions problem/gas cap issue was when driving around with less than a 3 "bars" of gas, the Check engine light will turn on but go out after I top off the tank. The only other issue I can think of is over filling the fuel tank and flooding the carbon canister, I had a friend do this to his Hyundai.

sabasc likes this.
  11. I'm still having the "Emissions System Problem" with the following two codes

P1235 - Fuel Pump Control Out Of Range
    P2561 - A/C Control Module Requested MIL Illumination

The dealer has given up, telling me to wait for a hard failure that they can diagnose. I'm worried that the failure will happen after the warranty expires in a few months.

I have a scheduled A017 service coming up, so I will take it to *another* dealer. Is it possible to use a non-Honda mechanic for warranty work? Would they have any chance of fixing hard to diagnose problems like this?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Boston_Pilot

Boston_Pilot Active Member

I certainly am calling bullshit. This is exactly why Honda had an “engineers” phone #. When the locals can’t fix it, they call and get someone that has a clue on the phone. You can’t use a non Honda mechanic for warranty work, but again, them “throwing their hands in the air” is crap. Inaction is never a good replacement for action. Have YOU contacted Honda? Document, document, document!

turtleturtle likes this.
  14. They supposedly did contact the Honda engineers. My problem is that *I* solve other people's problems at my work, so I understand *not* knowing how to solve every problem. You're right, I need to push harder.

15. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

Since you have documented with them a problem, complete with trouble codes, I think they would (should?) be obligated to fix it if it fails after the warranty expires.

sabasc likes this.
  16. MrFixit

If nothing else, make sure that you have solid documentation from the dealer that they observed this condition, were unable to resolve it, and recommended waiting for a 'hard failure'... I think this would insure that they couldn't deny coverage even after the warranty period expires. Also, the fact that this is specifically identified as an "Emissions System Problem" means that warranty coverage likely extends well beyond the 3Y/36M bumper-to-bumper coverage

I do agree however that inaction is not the right course of action. The only legitimate excuse I can think of for inaction is if this condition is so intermittent that the dealer has never been able to observe or reproduce the problem. In that case, there may be no choice but to wait for it to reoccur or get worse.

You haven't said how persistent this is... Is the problem continuous, or is it almost never present?

sabasc, turtleturtle and insightman like this.
  17. It happens every time I get in the car.

OK. OK. I'l be more persistent.

18. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

Most manufacturers have specific instructions to troubleshoot each error code... I wonder what your dealer has tried.

I am fascinated by the error P1235 - Fuel pump control out of range. Seems like an OBDII recording of fuel pressure would help understand this. Maybe there are other displays of the fuel pump control: Maybe fuel pump speed.

sabasc likes this.
  19. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Yikes. Every time and they can’t figure it out?

Agree with all comments here to get documentation clear for a future claim. Get the dealership to put in writing that they can’t fix it.

Maybe try an NHSTB complaint as well to get HQs attention that you get emission failures that the dealership doesn’t know how to repair. That could get someone’s attention as an actual emissions issue has huge fines for the manufacturer.

sabasc and rodeknyt like this.
  20. Today our Clarity Touring 2018 just got the same emissions system problem alert.
    @Randy Stegbauer did you ever get yours resolved?

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

I plan to connect my OBD2 interface and see if I can read any trouble codes to go with this alert on the gauge cluster.

21. MrFixit

What were the circumstances surrounding the occurrence of the message? I know it just cropped up, but has it persisted through multiple drive cycles?

22. Two or three drive cycle so far, yesterday. It did appear to be a random event, the only event I can think of that loosely correlates is that our air conditioning now works since the repair. Haven't had a chance to connect the OBD2 adapter yet.

23. Here's a quick update. I got the following DTCs via my ELM327 compatible VGATE OBD2 Bluetooth connector accessed by Car Scanner.
    OBDII
    P26A3
    P26A3(00)
    P0D28(09)

ENGINE
    P26A3(00)

What do the digits in parentheses represent?

[​IMG]