App for battery temp and battery voltage?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Ceetee, Dec 2, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ceetee

Ceetee Member

Anyone know of such thing? I used to have a Nissan leaf that works with lead spy pro and Bluetooth Odb2 port.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TandM

TandM Active Member

If you're on Android, there is an OBD app called Torque Pro (get the Pro version for a few bucks, you'll be able to do more with it), and there are a long list of custom PIDs that have been discovered for the Niro, Kona (and other Kia & Hyundai PHEV & EV vehicles). The custom PIDs will pull more information from the Niro than you probably would ever need, but not as "pretty" or "canned" display like LeafSpy -- you have to select and build your own charts/graphs/gauges. It's super customizable and will work with nearly any OBD2 Bluetooth device and supports a variety of vehicles (and of course custom PIDs too). I have a quick how-to around somewhere. You'll need to move a couple of files around on your phone's storage to incorporate the extensive list of custom datasets.

If you're on Apple, hopefully someone else can help with a similar OBD app.

Ceetee likes this.
  4. Ceetee

Ceetee Member

Thanks, I'll look into that. I've an android phone.

5. TandM

TandM Active Member

Hopefully you already have a decent OBD2 reader and not one of the $5 cheapies for best results.

Install Torque Pro for Android - US$4.95
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque

If you're familiar with Github at all, finding and grabbing the raw files might be easier for one to understand. The basics (though not exceptionally complete and missing some details) can be found here:

Basics of Setting up Gauges for Torque Pro
    https://jejusoul.github.io/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs/

A Direct Link to the referenced Niro EV (and Kona EV) specific PID files is here:
    https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs/tree/master/Hyundai Kona EV & Kia Niro EV/extendedpids

Setup Steps
    You'll need to download the (RAW) CSV PID definition files to your phone to tell Torque Pro how to communicate with your car by Importing the additional configuration data (via CSV) into Torque Pro.

You can browse through the CSV's and look at the contents to see if files contain the data you want to see. I have recommended a few to start with below.

If you browse to the above URL on your phone, click the links into each of the CSV files you want to import, and use the "Raw" button to save the CSV's rather than trying to copy and paste the data.

NOTE: There are more than a few ways to download and move files around on your phone. I personally recommend using a file manager app to transfer the download(s) from /Downloads to /.torque/extendedpids
    However, if the path /.torque/extendedpids doesn't yet exist on your phone, you'll need to create the subfolder and then move the files to that folder.

Recommended files to start with (raw links you can use to grab directly via phone browser):

002_Kona&Niro_EV_HVAC.csv
    003_Kona&Niro_EV_BMS.csv
    005_Kona&Niro_EV_Extra_Guages.csv

If you want crazy levels of details for each of the battery cells (an additional 98 unique pids, not necessary) you can also grab:
    004_Kona&Niro_EV_BMS_cell_data.csv

MY2020+ Compatibility Note: At the time of this writing YMMV as these PIDs may have not been tested or updated for MY2020 and newer vehicles if you happen to have a newer model year. They all work pretty well with only a couple of noted exceptions on the US 2019 Niro EV. The "Aux Battery" (12V) related PIDs (not listed in the recommended CSV links above) did not seem to be accurate for my vehicle.

Basic Torque PID File Import Steps

Open Torque Pro app and Import the files you downloaded.

1. Navigate to (Gear Icon) > Settings > Manage Extra PIDs / Sensors
    2. If there are already PIDs on this page, select (Menu) and pick Clear List
    3. Select (Menu) and pick Add Predefined Set
    4. Pick the file(s) you moved. If you are unable to find/see PID files, you may not have put the files in the correct location.

Hope this helps get you started.

Ceetee likes this.
  6. Ceetee

Ceetee Member

Wow thanks for the detailed steps! Will check it out.

I've also found a good one called EVNotify for Android. Here are some recent screen caps. It also intergrates well with A Better Route Planner for EVs.

Attached Files:

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Any way of using Imperial units in EV Notify?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

9. Ceetee

Ceetee Member

I didn't see an settings option for that.

10. Ceetee

Ceetee Member

Its also open source, so you can write a patch and the dev will likely apply it.

11. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Thanks, but about the only way I know to write a patch is with paper, pen, and scribbling down "a_p-a-t-c-h"

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Ceetee likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. langemand

langemand New Member

R P likes this.
  14. Tren

Tren New Member

Imperial units can be selected in Car Scanner ELM OBD2 app, it has profiles for E-Niro, Kona, Ioniq, Bolt, i-Miev, etc.