GPS Bias - Thinks I'm Off to the Right?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by DrDeke, Nov 29, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DrDeke

DrDeke New Member

I've noticed a strange thing with the built in navigation system on my 2018 Clarity.

Much of the time, it thinks I'm 20 or 30 feet to the right of where I really am. If I have it just showing the map (not doing active navigation) and I am driving down a highway with an adjacent service road, it will almost always put the vehicle icon on the service road instead of the road I'm actually driving on.

And if I'm on an interstate type highway and actively navigating, about half the time I drive by an exit on the right, it thinks I have mistakenly taken the exit and starts recalculating the route even though I didn't take the exit at all.

I have no idea what could be causing this. I looked pretty thoroughly through the navigation and settings menus and didn't see anything about calibration or the like.

Have any of you seen this on your Clarity? If so, did you ever find a way to fix it? I do have some bumper-to-bumper warranty remaining, so I guess I could take it to a dealer, but I feel like this might be tricky to get them to agree to fix...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

6 months after I got my car, I drove from Texas to Alabama gulf coast along I-10. Around Mobile, I had to pull over and get out my phone to switch to Android Auto. The car's navigation had me hundreds of feet off the right of the road in the middle of the forest. Of course it was telling me to get back in the road instead of telling me which exit I needed to take...

4. Is Calculation Mode set to Shorter Distance?

Do you have the latest version?

That's all I've got.

5. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Have you asked the dealership?

6. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I have seen my GPS location off before. This usually happened if I leave my car in garage for a few days. It usually fixes itself after a few minutes of driving in open space. Maybe you need to reset the GPS.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

It had happened to me several times when driving along Ventura Blvd which has a parallel cul-de-sac and when driving up Sepulveda Blvd next to the 405 in LA. I suspect maybe satellite reception disruption due to weather or physical obstacles like overpasses or buildings. No idea how to reset the GPS.

9. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

When it happened to me it was a clear night on an open interstate highway. There's a bit of the map not 10 miles from where I live that shows a highway turn 90° to south/north for all of a few feet then immediately east/west again, and it even states in the audible directions to turn left there (the highway is a rather straight road; there's not even a slight curve in that spot). I very strongly suspect the actual map data from Garmin has screwed up coordinates in many places.

10. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Well, obviously the map data is screwed. Some navigation systems provide an option to report errors or correct them (My old 2014 Mazda TomTom had it) but I haven't see that option on this one. Did you get the "latest" update that just came out?