How to know if it's the LG or the SK battery?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Thiery leger, Nov 25, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Thiery leger

Thiery leger New Member

Dear Kona owners.

I am looking at buying a 2020 Kona EV. I am aware of the LG battery recall. The dealer is telling that the Kona they have for me is a non LG one - but knowing how can dealers be , I would like to get another confirmation.

How can I know what is the manufacturer of the battery ? I do have the serial number of the car the dealer wants to sell me.

Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Etienne Savard

Etienne Savard New Member

No way to know for sure except if you take the battery pack appart...

Rule of thumb: if your car is produced in South Korea before March 2020, it's most likely a LG battery. If it's produce in South Korea after March 2020, I'm not sure if they change the modules for SK, so I will say 50-100% chance to have modules from LG. If it was produce in Tcheque Republic, 100% chance to be modules from SK.

All that from reading between the lines of the various announcements from Hyundai or Korean medias. Take that with a grain of salt, as what your dealer says also (sadly)...

Andy Swarbrick likes this.
  4. Thiery leger

Thiery leger New Member

Merci Etienne.

How can I know if it was manufacture in tchèque Republic? Would it be indicated on the driver door sill car nameplate ?

5. Etienne Savard

Etienne Savard New Member

Yes, on the driver door frame. It's indicated. Typically all Kona EV produced since March 2020 for the European Market (except UK because they drive on the wrong side of the road, lol).

6. You can also crawl underneath and view the actual battery manufacturers label (placed at the bottom drivers side behind the rear suspension in the case of N.A.). The production date may be different than the vehicle manufacture date on the door frame label. There also can be a manufacture location (of the car) integrated into the serial #.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Thiery leger

Thiery leger New Member

Thank you Eddy for the information.

9. Thiery leger

Thiery leger New Member

Thanks gents for the information provided.

Finally it would be a 2021 model. The sales rep just emailed me the nameplate of the car. It's made in Korea, with September 2020 for the date.

I guess I will need to crawl under the car to see who manufactured the battery as recommended by eddy

10. It will be an LG
    Make sure the pack does not have a part# and BMS ROM ID that corresponds to the recall list included in the attached PDF located here:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/stopped-kona-after-lasted-bms-update-we-found-7th-cases.9781/#post-114363
    As I mentioned the car date will be different than the pack build date;)

mho likes this.
  11. Thiery leger

Thiery leger New Member

Thanks eddy.

A few questions, comment

1. The pdf service bulletin is making references to certain model year 2019 and 2020. The Kona I am looking to buy is a 2021. Would that service bulletin still apply ?

2. I see BMS part number that can be found under the vehicule but don't see any battery part number. Is BMS the battery?

3. What does ROM mean ?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Hopefully this will help

(1) The recall manufacture dates end @ March 2/2020:
    https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1129993_fire-concern-prompts-stop-sale-us-recall-for-2019-2020-hyundai-kona-electric
    (2) The part # is the BMS (battery management system) included within the pack
    (3) The ROM ID (read only memory) is the software version applied to the BMS firmware
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/lg-chem-lg-e63-cell-discussion.9783/page-2#post-113068
    Someone correct me if I am wrong please.
    A good thread to read is this one if you have not already:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/recall-196-now-shows-on-us-hyundai-recall-website.9755/

mho likes this.