Consumer Reports Rates Niro Unreliable.

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by marshall, Nov 19, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Sorry folks. It looks like the motor issues are now out in the open.

Reliability is a 1 out 5 as reported by Consumer Reports.

Nesh likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Here is a link to an article discussing the issue. If you referring to a different one, please feel free to post a link.

4. It only mentions the 2019 ev in the review. Maybe it doesn't apply to the 2020. Fingers crossed. But, Kia and Hyundai are usually pretty good with their recalls.

5. blue_door

blue_door Member

I question CRs conclusion. They still recommend the Kona Electric and it has the same motor and issues with its batteries.

6. marshall

Well I'm surprised too. However, the survey depends on members responses. If the members don't have any issues or don't respond, then that may be the difference for the two conclusions.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

Early adapter issues are notorious in tech circles. EV's are basically computers running wheels. I decided for myself to get an EV knowing that there might be those kinds of early adapter issues. One of the reasons I went with the Kia is that there is a dealer in my town that, having talked to the techs, seems to know what they are doing. Buying an EV that can't be serviced locally is a really bad idea.

Seagull likes this.
  9. Nesh

Nesh New Member

The resale value is already shot. If you leased this you've won. If you bought it like me, expect 70% depreciation in 3-4 years.

10. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

My theory has always been "drive it till it drops", well, I have passed some down to the no-longer kids. Use that 10 year warranty...

11. Nesh

Nesh New Member

Absolutely

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Lucky Chow

Lucky Chow New Member

With a 10 year warranty, it doesn't worry me much. With EV's so new (at least in large scale) there's bound to be issues, not to mention a lot of orphans in 5 years. From what I read, Tesla had a similar problem with their motors. They took care of their warranty claims (and even those out of warranty) so quick that the public didn't notice. Let's hope for a permanent fix at some point.

14. mf989

mf989 Member

So why has it taken this long to finally show up on a news source? CR of all sources isn't the most quick. Why hasn't this site made an article about it already?

15. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

I would think the concern is sample sizes. I do not think you could say, reliably, that the Niro EV has systemic motor issues. A lot of us here (myself included) are only here to report problems.

Just a thought.

16. mf989

mf989 Member

While I would agree that's a good journalistic standard to hold to, I haven't seen that to be the case with much of the speculative reporting I see going on here (for example the ridiculous rendering posted as news worthy). I'm more suspicious that there is concern of losing advertising money.

17. Seagull

Seagull New Member

BC
    I haven't had any issues with my Niro-EV. I've had it for 18 months and 22,000kM. I've completed one 5,000kM road trip and several others at around 1,100km.

18. CR is not the thorough authority it used to be.

I stopped reading it when the down rated the Corvette because it did not have enough trunk space.... idiots..

Greg

19. There is definitely a selection effect. I wonder if the same applies to the sample CR used for their survey. Or maybe I am just lucky af with my vehicle. (~7k miles...low mileage
    year thanks to pandemic)

20. jeff_h

jeff_h Member

I've been thinking this very same thing, as I've been on various hybrid/EV forums for over 10 years now and have seen the above over and over again. There are some people who are inquisitive and want to learn about and discuss their hybrid/EV and those people join on their own when they get the hybrid/EV or even before the purchase. On the other hand, there are some who really weren't as interested in that (some are more interested in forums than others, nothing wrong with either) but as soon as a problem occurred that's when they did some internet searching and found the forum and were happy to find a place to either get info, to vent, or to give the manufacturer a black eye online since the owner is frustrated about the experience. I understand the concept (sure can't blame the owner for being frustrated) and have seen some of that here, but I don't think there are many Niro forums out there and those who've come here as a result of experiencing such problems are still a pretty low number, IMHO.

21. Robert@SF

Robert@SF New Member

My last three vehicles I've owned for 8, 25 and 27 and counting years. I don't care about depreciation in 3-4 years.

22. Yes, and keeping your cars that long puts you way ahead if you keep them up in good shape. Leasing is losing money.

Greg

23. marshall

Money wise, one is ahead. Safety wise, not so much.