Gauge Cluster went blank today..

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Nov 22, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Drove the car this afternoon and noticed the gauge bezel being blank. Car operated normal otherwise..
    When I got to my destination, I disconnected and re-connected the 12 Volt battery and the issue went away.. Seems to be a common issue with Kona Electrics..

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. nigels

nigels Active Member

I had a similar thing happen last week. The gauges froze. Fortunately I was able to see the speed in the HUD. I pulled over, powered off the car, then immediately powered it back on. This didn't fix the issue. After I stopped a second time, got out and locked the car, the problem had gone away the next time I powered it on. Some developer failed to implement a watchdog reset in the code. Let's hope the same type of software glitch doesn't exist in safety-critical systems.

4. I've had that happen to mine a couple times. Just let it sit for about 1/2 hour or so, and everything came back up as normal.

5. My car was provided with a software update Oct 2019 that I was told would address the blank screen issue, not that I've ever seen it happen.

6. mho likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

I had no other issues.. Everything functioned correctly but the display was stuck with the speedometer area being empty and the right side display showed that the door was open but it wasn't.. The mileage of the car on the bottom displayed but did not change when driving.. However, after I disconnected the battery and reconnected it, the mileage adjusted to add the mileage driven with the display off..

9. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

Never seen in 20 months, touch wood..

10. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Had you ever had such a problem before the recall update?

11. Toby2449

Toby2449 New Member

I've had the speedo display freeze on me (it seemed to be stuck on the first screen you get after start-up), rang my local dealer, they did a software update, and so far the issue hasn't come back. Best of luck, hope you get it sorted.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I have not seen mine do that for a long time, probably a year now, long before the BMS and other recall updates. And I think it was only two times, maybe a month apart. I can't remember what were the circumstances.

14. FloridaSun

Never had that issue before but I recall reading about other people having the same issue well before the update was pushed out.. The update really shouldn't have anything to do with this issue as the recalls both only updated the battery related software.