Stopped KONA: After lasted BMS update - we found 100th cases..

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by kennykim, Nov 11, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. kennykim

kennykim New Member

I just quit counting a number, too many..

There are 3 kind of faulty type, see detail at below example.

ex #1 stopped & never start engine
    ex #2 stopped while charging
    ex #3 slow charging with quick or slow charger

======================
    I recommend do not update BMS S/W yet.

I will trying to update at here, if automaker release all fixed BMS S/W...
    ==========================

ex #1
    b.PNG

ex #2
    a.PNG

ex #3
    c.PNG

01.PNG 02.PNG 03.PNG 04.PNG 05.PNG 06.PNG 07.PNG

=======================================================

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    Shawn X, Toolworker, apu and 2 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Thanks for posting that. For what it's worth there seem to be no major issues reported so-far outside of S.K but it's still early days.

4. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

I'm not sure what's more worrying;

The thought that the update is bricking cars because the update is bugged, or the thought that the update is bricking cars because their batteries are all on the verge of going thermonuclear and the new software is shutting them down for safety.

KiwiME likes this.
  5. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

Or the BMS update is just being too cautious because they don't actually know what the root issue is

KiwiME likes this.
  6. My car was updated the other day in Massachusetts and it has been perfectly normal so far. Fingers crossed!

And wow that car in photo ex.#3 has 65,000 miles on it. Yikes. How did someone in South Korea drive that far in little over a year! They must be living in that car.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DAS14

DAS14 New Member

My 2020 was updated yesterday. After charging over night my car displayed the electrical fault and was towed back to the dealer. Anyone know what I should expect?

9. Konasu

Konasu New Member

Please clarify. Are you talking about the BMS software update notice or the later recall notice?

I had the BMS software update on my 2019 Kona a few weeks ago. No problems so far. But now I have a recall notice that cautions against parking car anywhere near buildings until recall repair is completed. The recall states "Hyundai is continuing to actively investigate this condition for identification of a specific root cause." So if they don't know what the root cause is, what are they doing in the recall?

10. kennykim

kennykim New Member

Here korea started recall (=BMS software update) a month ago.
    At this moment we found 3 type of faulty so most of kona user VERY UNHAPPY now.

Q.
    So if they don't know what the root cause is, what are they doing in the recall?

A.
    Even I want to know about it, automaker what are doing there ?
    Automaker just rent a car if trouble happen, so keep awating until it done.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  11. Is is possible that Hyundai is "polling" their population of Kona Electric's on the road to see if they can identify variables in the data they collect, and through that identify the real issue? In other words the damage being done to cars with the fault is so extreme (affected cars end up as crispy critters) that they are not able to trace where the fault began in each vehicle. It may not be possible to trace the point of origin of these fires when the entire battery pack is a melted pile of slag.

Btw...I had both the BMS update, followed a few weeks later by the recall checkup which took about an hour.

marshall likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Possible. They will get cells back in the lab that they can examine to determine why the voltages were deviating.

14. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

All of the Korean vehicles that have been bricked, that I can see the odometer on, seem to have 50K+ km (30K+ miles)? Some have over 100K km (62K miles). That seems high for a vehicle that's only 2-3 years old. Not unreasonably high, but they've certainly been getting driven. Compared to the US that ranges from slightly above average to double or triple average annual driving.

I only mention it because it feels like Koreans use their vehicles differently than what I'm used to seeing as an American. Surely how the pack is used and abused is a factor, and I wonder to what extent the differences in how cars are used across cultures influences the outcome. If Koreans tend to use their vehicles more severely - more driving, larger swings in SOC, more frequently going to 100% etc - that might explain the apparently higher rates of failures vs non-Korean vehicles? I guess we'll have to wait until the updates become more widespread around the world to know for sure.

Basically I'm wondering how effective "babying" the car's pack could be in mitigating the problem...

Fastnf likes this.
  15. DAS14

DAS14 New Member

Update: my vehicle with 1500 miles is essentially bricked. Hyundai/dealership has no remedy or time period to have a resolution for me. They are asking to give them 5 business days before I asked for other remedies like requesting a buyback. Has anyone gone through that process?

16. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

Cabs perhaps ?

17. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

My 2019 has about 28k miles on it and we did the update last weekend. Have not had any issues charging the car to 80% the last few days.

18. mannimagus

mannimagus New Member

Bunch of bricked Konas here in India with the exact same issue above. Almost all occurring after charging is done at a high preset SoC (90-100%), my Kona at 100%. Couple of Konas got bricked at 80-85%.

Hyundai has asked their dealers to tow it and standby for further instructions. Around 20 cars out of ~500 in total sold here are now towed and off the road.

In my case, the technician cleared the fault code with the diagnostic tool, and the car came to life and was able to drive for a couple of kilometers normally. But since it looks like it can crop up again at the end of a charge cycle, I decided to leave the car with the dealer till they find a permanent fix.

Attached Files:

Domenick likes this.
  19. Tpg

Tpg New Member

Kona India update a disaster. Car gets stuck after charging post update. Very poor roll out. Did not test. A corporate disaster. No one in company here has a clue

20. This being the 39 kWh version is a bit of a surprise, I thought it would have affected the 64 kWh version only:confused:

21. I forgot about this thread. Count me in as a Canadian member of the Hyundai brick club :(

22. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

Hmm.. I wonder if the bricked Konas are because they found a bad battery, or if it's a software issue. Please keep us posted what they do to fix the issue. If it's just bad software, seems like it should be a quick fix.

23. Tpg

Tpg New Member

Deafening silence from Hyundai India. Senior managers in hiding. No answers. No one has a clue. Refused roll back. Car s locked away in service centres across India. A corporate disaster. No effort to reach out to customers