USB Connectivity Issues

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by begranter, Oct 28, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. begranter

begranter New Member

I've been having issues with my Pixel 4's connection to the head unit for Android Auto -- it's finicky and moving it even a bit disconnects it. Seems like a poor connection in general. Over the last 2.5 years I've used OEM cables and many others and that doesn't fix it. I asked the Honda service center about it, and the guy took a look and basically said "Yeah all Honda USB connections are like that". I like to use Waze, and randomly losing connection because I go over a bump is really getting on my nerves.

Has anyone been able to address this with their Clarity? Alternatively, is there any indication that we'll be able to use wireless Android Auto in the future, either via the head unit's WiFi or Bluetooth?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Possibly a warranty voider as I have no idea how easy it is to get the console disassembled, but I'm almost to the point of ripping that ridiculously loose socket out and replacing it with 75ยข of hardware from Mouser. USB 2.0 is easy to resolder. Just 4 wires and plenty of spacing. I just hope the connection problem isn't on the tablet end of the cable.

4. If the connection feels loose at the console end try a piece of Scotch tape wrapped around the end. It should add enough thickness that the plug will stay in place once inserted and connection is made. We use a short USB data cable that has been plugged in once and never removed. It's been working for about 1 1/2 years.

From posts in the past people have mentioned the port in console is easily worked loose. That's why we've never removed ours.

5. JCA

JCA Active Member

Either Android Auto on the phone or on the infotainment system seem very sensitive to brief disconnects -- rather than gracefully retry and reconnect automatically one side or the other kills the connection. I was having daily disconnects and didn't want to believe it was the cable (I tried multiple that I had), but I bought a new cable and had zero disconnects for a year+ after that. This is the cable I bought, but I'm sure there are other good ones (and no guarantee that there's anything special about this one, since I had a 2 year older one that had issues): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6F3WHG

Once you find a "good" cable, label it especially if you have others like it :)

6. That is one highly rated cable!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tom H

Tom H New Member

I like using cables with magnetic connectors. It is easy to connect your phone and leave the cable always connected to the car. Also lets you reconnect the phone without having to use both hands or even looking when it does the sync up. There are many choices similar to the one below.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QMRF81W/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07QMRF81Wp13NParams&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFQNEFPNlg4ME5VNTImZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA4NDM1NjIyMzQzSEpKUzQyVlJJJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA5ODY1NjhMMVMyQjRQVDJGSjYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwyJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

9. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Except that's clearly not an up-to-standard USB-C cable, given they explicitly mention USB-PD won't work with it.

10. begranter

begranter New Member

Thanks, I'll try this. Will update.

11. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. begranter

begranter New Member

Seems a success. I ordered directly from Anker as I don't shop on Amazon, but haven't had any connectivity issues since. Thanks for the suggestion @JCA