Replacement tire decision

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by TomL, Oct 28, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

Well that wrecks my theory that my first tires went bad due to high pressure... I am in upstate New York, with similar winter temperatures.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tire pressure will drop 1-2psi for every 10 degree drop in temperature. If you inflate your ties to 37psi on a 70F morning in August and now wake up to a 30F temperatures, the tire could be as low as 30psi.

It isn’t necessary to chase pressure for every 10F temperature change. When you regularly see 30, 40, 50 degree changes from the last time pressure was checked, it is time to adjust “cold” inflation pressures.

4. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

Thank you for the tips on tire inflation and cold weather. I do something similar to what you are stating but regardless of temperature swings from warm to cold, I also check pressure before taking a long road trip. My father would always do that and it became habit for me on cars and especially my motorcycle. Cheers..

5. ralfalfa

ralfalfa Member

sorry for a slow reply. It's hard to judge my EV mileage. I drive just about 36 miles on my daily commute, with 8 hrs in between in a parking garage. In summer I seem to finish that drive with 15-17 miles of EV range left; on the coldest days in winter I sometimes am 2-3 miles short. It's about 1/3 country drive, 1/3 suburb, 1/3 city, and modestly hilly, so speed and acceleration vary a lot with time of day and traffic density. I think the cold has a much bigger effect than the tires, at least in my case; it's a hit of around 18-20 EV miles between the 80's in summer and the 20's in winter. But I also think that on a commute like mine, aggressive driving vs calmness and coasting can make things vary another 4-5 EV miles easily.

6. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

Looked up and found one brand of run flat tires. Seems like a good idea since no spare.
    Anyone find a run flat style? Probably kill mileage. 20201105_123541.jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Perhaps they have improved, but in the past most complaints about run-flat tires centered around poor ride quality. Having no spare doesn't bother me, I keep a tire plug kit in my trunk. I've used them successfully in the past, anything short of a sidewall blowout won't keep me sidelined.

9. SkyChief07

SkyChief07 New Member

Hi! Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. I haven't noticed a lot of decline, maybe a couple of percentage points at worst, but it's hard to measure since it is getting dramatically colder these past few weeks in the northeast. My GOM is reading 52 right now so that's not too bad!