Replacement tire decision

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by TomL, Oct 28, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TomL

TomL Active Member

As my 2018 Touring reaches 30,000 miles the OEM tires are too worn for a second Wisconsin winter. I have done many hours of research on replacement tires and tentatively decided on Bridgestone Ecopia because of its low rolling resistance superiority. However, the early onset of winter here in Wisconsin has me pausing for an alternative with better snow and ice braking so I switched to my second choice: Continental PureContact LS. Before I lay out the cash, anyone out there think I should consider another option (not including winter tires, please)? Thanks in advance.

Remarksman and Peter CC like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TomL

TomL Active Member

An addendum to my tire replacement question: The cost at my favorite auto service place was $950 for a set of Bridgestone Ecopias and $700 for the Continental PureContacts.

4. 60Hertz

60Hertz Member

That is disappointing to hear that you are only getting 30,000 miles on the original set, which I assume are the Michelin Energy Saver A/S. I'm guessing that is why you are not considering that tire for the replacement set. The Michelin is a 65,000 mile rated tire. Being a fellow Wisconsinite, I understand the need of not going into winter with marginal tires. I stored my Clarity last winter (long story) but will have it on the road for this winter on the original Michelins with about 15,000 miles. Just looking for your overall impression of the Michelins esp. the tread life and snow traction. Thanks.

5. ralfalfa

ralfalfa Member

Not sure this answers any question of yours, but figured I'd share information. I have Bridgestone Blizzak tires on my 2018 Clarity, mounted on a second set of stock-sized "winter" wheels (some cheap Infinity knockoffs I found) that I put on for snow season. They have an identical lug pattern to their all-season tires, but have lots of siping in the edge blocks. I live in NE Ohio where lake effect snow is a big deal; our snow is typically in higher volume (avg about 120" annually) and wetter (not as cold) than you probably see in Wisconsin, think driving in heavy wet snow and slush rather than hard frozen roads (Oh Ya Hey, I am a former Wisconsinite). I drive my Clarity all winter, maybe because the Blizzaks been really good; whereas the original Michelins (which I run in spring, summer and fall) can easily slip a bit in wet snow, the Blizzaks are very grippy. They may be the best I've had on any vehicle (including more aggressive snow tires on trucks and SUVs). I can't speak to their longevity (they've got 7-8k miles on them) but the siping in the edge blocks is still clean. They may have a different stickier compound on the surface. They're a touch noisier than the Michelins, but I personally can barely tell and my wife and kids can't hear a difference.

Let me also add I've got about 20k on my original michelins and I expect to replace them after next summer. They are definitely wearing faster than the rating suggests, but I've come to expect that from every OEM tire I've ever had on a new car. I'll watch your experience with interest.

6. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

TomL
    I put Continental Pure Contact LS on a 2017 Rav4 hybrid prior to last winter. The Rav4 did fine in the snow. Caveat: 6 inch snowfall was the worst storm we had. Multiple 2 to 5 inch.

Hope this helps.

Remarksman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SkyChief07

SkyChief07 New Member

Hi! I recently picked up a set of Michelin CrossClimate+ tires (I live in MA), which are really highly rated in almost every category. They're an all-season with the 3 peaks logo, so they're usable in countries or states that mandate winter-rated tires. I haven't tried them out in snow yet but the reviews suggest they'll be a fantastic all-season option. The only downside is that the treadwear warranty for our Clarity tire size is only 40,000 miles. I plan to rotate every 5k to get the most out of them. I felt it was a reasonable trade-off to take the shorter lifespan (and slightly reduced range) in exchange for a safer winter tire.

I just took them on a 1600-mile road trip (all highway) and overall I netted 45mpg on average with 3 people aboard and a 1/2 full trunk. Not bad at all!

David Towle likes this.
  9. 60Hertz

60Hertz Member

I recently got the Michelin CrossClimate2 on my Ford Fusion. Not sure what is the difference between the "+" and the "2". As you said, they are an all season tire with a slant toward improved snow traction, while not being a true snow tire. And like you I only have a few miles on them and none in the snow yet. Not sure how they rate on rolling resistance compared with a LRR "eco" tire. I am finding rolling resistance info is hard to find. So far I am pleased with the ride and handling. They are also a quiet ride considering the aggressive looking tread pattern.

SkyChief07 likes this.
  10. TomL

TomL Active Member

Thanks to all who replied with your helpful thoughts and experiences.

11. Josh enviro

Josh enviro New Member

30k is better than our OEM Michelin Energy savers- 22k miles and they are not going to make it to 24. We are in Eco mode and we don't race Priuses! Total landfill fodder junk- shame on Honda and Michelin for putting these high carbon footprint tires on our great PHEVs (we called, they both blame each other and as usual, Honda doesn't stand behind their product until there is a class action lawsuit).
    This is my take on tires:
    best for 4 seasons/snow- Michelin Cross Climate
    best if you need the full 45 EV miles- pay the price for the Michelin Energy savers. - non OEM should last longer. I think Tire rack tested the Ecopia, and it was indeed great mileage, probably 2nd best behind the Michelin Energy.
    best for me in Southern California where there is no snow: General Altimax

We did have the Continental ProContact on our Honda Ody, and they are good tires too probably.
    Tire rack and Consumer reports are both great for researching tires, and I have purchased from Tire Rack, they are good.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. LAF

LAF Active Member

How about your EV milage? How much has it declined?

14. LAF

LAF Active Member

what is your EV millage now? does it appear different

15. Carro con enchufe

Carro con enchufe Active Member

I installed the Continental First Contact LS tires on my 2018 at 32k mikes and now get 41-43 EV miles, down from 47-50.

16. Chris Messer

Chris Messer Member

Not recommended specific tires but make sure you get them changed by someone that knows what they are doing. I got mine done the first time at a shop and they broke a piece inside the tire that's unique and not something they necessarily know to watch for. It was a headache to get the garages insurance to take care of it. Now I get my tire changes done at the dealership (change to snow tires in winter each year).

17. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Wow you must drive fast, my original Michelins have over 30,000 miles on them and they have a long way to go. Just looked at them and they look almost new. I don't usually go over 75 on the highway and only 5-10 mph over local speed limits.

18. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

A small amount of bad alignment can be the difference between 30K and 50K. Best to check tread wear carefully at each rotation, and get alignment fixed before tires are bad...

19. Yes. I’d like to know what is causing tires to “wear out” at 20-30K miles.

Is it even wear across the tire?
    Uneven wear? Outside edge? Center?
    Has the car been taken to the track every weekend?
    What tire pressure is being used?
    Have the tires been rotated regularly?

Mine have less that 12K miles and look like new. I can’t imagine they’ll be cooked in another 12-15K miles.

20. ClarityBill

My first OEM set went bad at 30K. The center of the tires was bald, looked like over pressure. I had maintained the recommended inflation psi. I kept my second set (OEM takeoffs from ebay) at 32 psi, and they went 40K: The left front wheel had just a little too much toe-in. I saw the problem with that tire each time I rotated, but did not think it was too bad... My third set of tires is not OEM, I have not fixed the alignment, and I saw the wear on that tire with my first rotation. I am currently at 85K miles, getting ready for the second rotation on these tires: 'Somebody' should fix that alignment...

There was a discussion about tire pressure in another thread. The tire pressure on the door post is for a fully loaded car. With a formula, you can determine the correct tire pressure for each loading of the car. I drive lots of miles alone in my car, with just a suitcase of clothes. My car is lightly loaded for most miles, so the lower tire pressure makes sense. My tire wear indicates my tire pressure (at 32 psi) is still a little high.

21. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

Just to chime in. I live in Massachusetts and also drive about 5 or 10 miles over the speed limit. I have proper air inflation and have 42,000 miles on the original tires and they still look good and I am sure they will make over 50,000 miles, maybe 60,000 miles. However, I never felt very comfortable with these tires in heavy rain driving on the highway.

22. ClarityBill

What air pressure do you have in your tires? (There is debate on what is considered the proper pressure.)

23. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

I try to keep 37 psi in the tires. 1 psi over what is recommended to account for the cold New England weather. Cheers.