Cargo Liner

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Puppethead, Oct 31, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Thanks to @MichaelC for finding CanvasBack, I went all-in on one so my dogs can ride, and just got it installed. It was no effort, I just needed to place each piece correctly and let the velcro grab hold.

Before and after pics...

cargo-up-before.jpeg cargo-down-before.jpeg cargo-down-after.jpeg cargo-split-after.jpeg

Here's the passenger side panel. The driver side has a similar cutout near the upper right but there's no thing on that side, and also what is that thing (upper left) for? It pushes in but I can't figure out what it's for. It's behind where the seat latches, so it appears to have nothing to do with the seat.

cargo-passenger-panel.jpeg

Toi, insightman and MichaelC like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

When you lift up the "floor" of the boot to access the storage area below it, that things acts as a clip to hold it in place:
    IMG_0291D.jpeg
    I didn't get the side pieces or bumper flap, but my Canvasback liner has already come in handy. I moved some old dusty stuff out of a storage unit a week ago, and clean-up afterward was a breeze.

Puppethead likes this.
  4. Puppethead

Oh wow, clever. Now I get why there isn't one on the other side.

MichaelC likes this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Yes, thanks from me, too, @MichaelC. I bought the complete Canvasback set, but haven't tried it out yet. I like how the folded package fits between my charging cable and puncture-repair kit, always ready when I need it. Thanks @Puppethead, for showing what it looks like and describing your installation experience.

MichaelC likes this.
  6. Puppethead

I think the CanvasBack is really nice, but my dogs disagree. It is super-slippery for them, when I drive them around in the SE they slide around in the cargo area. I think it's the type of material used, my front seat covers are pretty slippery too.

CanvasBack does a great job of protecting the interior, but I just wanted to warn people about the slipperiness. In fact, when I have the rear seats down my groceries or anything else I'm hauling slide around as well.

I need to add some sort of fleece-covered pad or something for the dogs to have better grip.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

That's a fair point about the slippery nature of the CanvasBack liner.

I keep a couple bungee cords in the boot to secure loads as needed, using the various tie-down points. That obviously won't work for dogs, though...

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Last week I purchased a drum-style composter that turns horizontally in a base with a curved top. The composter had been sitting outside and when I lifted into through the hatch of my SE I could hear a "glug-glug" sound. I quickly whipped the composter back out of my SE and onto the parking lot surface. I was so happy that the little rainwater that had leaked out was still sitting on my Canvasback cargo liner. I was able to bend the cargo liner so as to keep the water from reaching the edge as I pulled it out though the hatch.

I gave the cargo liner a shake, all the water rolled off and I was able to re-install it immediately. Draining the water out of the composter into the parking lot took much longer because I didn't have a tool to unscrew the plug and I was draining through one of the small roller-holes that allowed the rain into the base.

So the Canvasback surface that's too slippery for comfortable dog travel was just what I needed to protect my carpet from getting soaked. I wonder what the Canvasback company would say about their cargo liner's unsuitability for dogs? Are their seat covers just as slippery?