First Vehicle "A01" Service

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by dstrauss, Apr 17, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Well-Known Member

Well, after all of the talk about one year vehicle service periods, my "A01 Maintenance is Due" warning popped up over the weekend (oil change and tire rotation). I have 5,768 miles on the odometer, but that includes a lot of weekends on the road from Midland (Austin, Lubbock, Santa Fe, El Paso/Las Cruces, New Orleans) so I should imagine the oil and tire rotation would come up sooner than expected (PS - it had it's four month birthday last Thursday).

Frankly, I wanted no range anxiety, and that's what I got. However, a ten gallon tank would be much more appreciated than I thought at first.

Anyone else at the "A01" point yet?

PS - I'm having the Honda dealer install ceramic window tint (25%) when doing the maintenance - the blazing Southwest US sun is hotter than Hades and we haven't gotten beyond low 90's so far.

PPS - Dear Honda, the 2021 Clarity PHEV needs 200 mile EV range if you want to keep the 7 gallon tank model. I know you guys can do it!

Teslawannabe and AndyBA like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Yep, ours is up near 8000 miles now, but the A01 turned on at about 6000 miles (within 10 miles of that).

For reference for others, A01 is tire rotation, oil change, and inspection and was around $60 at dealer with full synthetic motor oil.

I also wish the tank was 2 or 3 gallons bigger, but I adjust by making any stop a gas fill up. Doesn't really cause any issue.

dstrauss likes this.
  4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

After 1 1/2 months and 1,200 miles, my Maintenance Minder is reporting service due in 9 months which must be the A01. That will be about 11 months and 10,000 miles (total all modes) after purchase assuming my driving doesn’t change enough to impact the algorithm.

I’d used about 2 gal of gas on one trip of about 100 miles HV. So if my driving continues to be 90/10 EV/HV, then I’ll be replacing oil at only about 1,000 miles of ICE running and timing out near the 1 yr notice in the manual.
    We all know the oil keeps its lubricating and protection properties way past 1,000 miles so for those of us driving mostly EV, it looks like it’s a yearly oil change whether we need it or not to keep the warranty intact.

5. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Okay, that makes me feel better that it won't just trigger at 6000 miles automatically. I was hoping it was tied more to use rather than mileage.

ryd994 likes this.
  6. KentuckyKen

10gal would be 400 miles at 40 mpg and 5 1/2 hours at 70 mph. My prostate alarm would be going off way before then!! You are Iron Man!
    My prostate, bladder and back voted for just 7 gal. It was unanimous.

You will really like how the ceramic tint blocks out the majority of the IR and significantly reduces heat gain. Mine made a huge difference on sunny days already and it’s not even summer yet. I also put it on the windshield at a 70% VLT (most transparent available to me) and the dash stays much cooler. It works and does not have any effect on night time visibility that I can see (bad pun alert). Also reduces the amount of a/c usage for a little better range. Check your local laws though.

John Schwab and dstrauss like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. dstrauss

I agree on the need for potty stops, but would just like to get safely over 300 miles for gas refill - as is I don't want to push much past 240.

Here in Texas (at last according to our dealership) 25% max tint on sides and back glass, no tint on front windshield. I've got a pretty good windshield cover for that, although I'm thinking about getting a better fitting-more complete coverage-custom screen.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  9. KentuckyKen

Dstrauss, you might want to consider this:
    https://www.dashdesigns.com/c-1337839-sun-shades-the-original-retractable-shade.html

It pulls across the windshield in an accordion fashion so you don’t fight with it every time you put it up or down. Just reach over, pull across to driver’s side and hook. Retracts by spring tension. So this makes it very easy to use and more likely to be used. It also comes off its brackets for the winter. It’s a little pricey at $36, but is of high quality and full coverage. (Buy once, cry once). I like mine very much. Might be worth it for your near Hades like temps.

10. KentuckyKen

Bummer about no windshield “tint” allowed in TX. There’s a lot of glass up there and so aerodynamicly slanted that it’s a powerful solar collector for heat. The ceramic IR blocking film on my windshield make a great difference.
    I would definitely suggest the DashDesigns cover I linked to in above post.

11. visajet

visajet New Member

Texas does allow "clear, un-tinted" film anywhere on the windshield.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/consumerinfo/windowTint.htm

I have 80% Ceramic film applied on the windshield. It is very clear and cannot make out if there is indeed a film unless someone is looking for it. All the tinting places I spoke to indicated that they have never had customers complain about any issues with law enforcement with the 80% film. Like @KentuckyKen says, it makes a noticeable difference to the heat, and we are not yet in >100degree heat yet!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    dstrauss and KentuckyKen like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Geno88

Geno88 New Member

When I turned in my caddy ELR, they said they’re working on a 200 EV range/ 50 mpg car due in two years.....

As far as window tint, I suggest darkening the back more than the front, then putting a visor tint in the front, about 10” down, helps a lot.

14. dstrauss

I'm giving serious thought to the retractable shade - I think it would provide more comfort than any tinting on the front and would be less hassle than my previous fold up or twist up sun shades have been.

15. KentuckyKen

You’ll like it. Very good coverage and silvered for good reflection. Full coverage side to side and about 47 “ dash to head liner.

16. dstrauss

Does it interfere with the view to your right - the column is already fairly wide.

17. KentuckyKen

36DA3D79-E540-458D-9865-22B7C2597801.jpeg 16CBD36A-7798-460C-B441-8E83D36CE013.jpeg
    I don’t find it too bad. Here is a before and after. I had to remove it to tint the wishdhield and am waiting on new brackets so I’m holding it up neat to A pillar. This will give you an idea. It’s really rather narrow considering its holding all the accordion folds. The two protrusions are the housing for the retension springs/windings.
    Loose less than an inch of visibility since were looking at it from the driver’s angle at about 45%.

dstrauss likes this.
  18. dstrauss

Thanks a lot Ken - that looks pretty good...

19. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Just had A01 taken care of at the dealer; am at 7k miles. Tried to get them to provide a printout of all the data the OBD would provide to hopefully see if it did actually report engine hours or miles. Unfortunately, I was told they did not have the ability to do that (possibly because they didn't have the right equipment). The service advisor said he called a regional tech that was experienced with the Clarity and the regional guy said the MM used raw miles and did not base the oil change alert on engine miles or engine hours and indicated that the next one should be 10k from now. Honda is too engineer-driven to not put some intelligence behind the MM but maybe they left it to the same intern that did the HV range algorithm. I am guestimating that I've put maybe half the total miles on the ICE.

KentuckyKen, to save me the time of reading the manual, can you tell me where I can see the MM status? I haven't noticed that on any screen. I did see where maintenance can be cleared on the 'head unit' as they say.

20. KentuckyKen

Sure. It’s on the DII (Driver Information Interface), the display behind the steering wheel (p475) Select the wrench symbol using the Display/Information button (p124) and it will go to the MM. Unfortunately and frustratingly, it does not seem to display the codes until the service is soon/due/past. Mine only tells me that service is due in 8 months (not very helpful for planning ahead).
    This is the second place where you can reset the MM besides at the Audio/Information Screen (center display) you mentioned (p330).

21. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

1183 miles. Service due in 5 months. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Klim likes this.
  22. KentuckyKen

How many months did it take to get to present day 1,183 miles and service iN 5 months?