Center screen blemishes don't go away

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Phil_Meyers, Oct 11, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Phil_Meyers

Phil_Meyers Active Member

So today I was cleaning the car and took a little window cleaner to clean the center screen. I noticed there's a lot of blemishes on the screen right where I push the buttons often, like the 15 second skip for XM. I pressed harder with a Kleenex and a little Windex but it doesn't go away. Any advice?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Scratches? Build up? Fogginess?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. Phil_Meyers

Sorta looks like fogginess, I think. You can see most of it on the right side from this picture. I tried toothpaste, it's almost like it made the circular areas bigger.
    clarity screen.jpg

Peter CC likes this.
  5. Phil_Meyers

clarity screen 1.jpg

6. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Brutal honesty: IME, that's nearly always caused by somebody pressing on the screen instead of just touching it. Touchscreens are not buttons and don't need to be pressed.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Phil_Meyers

Not sure I understand. My phone doesn't have anything like this is much older and gets used much more.

9. Phil_Meyers

10. Danks

Danks Active Member

Do you use any kind of wax polish on the screen? A number of drivers have posted this issue and found that cleaning with rubbing alcohol removes the wax buildup.

11. Phil_Meyers

No, I think I have cleaned it maybe three times with windex since we've owned the car, which has been about a year. Looking closer at the blemishes, it looks like the anti-glare is rubbing off. Frustrating and cheap of Honda to use such an inferior application/screen. Reminds me of GM when my Silverado dash was de-laminating.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SkipperT

SkipperT Member

Phil, I have the same damage on my screen. Never cleaned with anything but a clean microfiber cloth, and we don't "press" on our screen either. I'm frustrated too, with the way it's wearing. I don't have an answer but wanted to let you know, you're not the only one!

-Skip

14. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Thank you for clarifying and including pictures. Reason I asked is that it now seems you’re having the same problem we helped someone on the forums with earlier this year.

YMMV, but check out the thread here and the owner’s eventual solution:

Clarify screen wear
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/Clarify-screen-wear.9080/

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

15. If it's the regular Windex, that may be your problem. Ammonia cleaners should not be used on a plastic touchscreen.

16. turtleturtle already linked to the thread I started with what appears to be the same problem, along with what worked for me.

Easy to check with a little isopropyl alcohol on a soft cloth, starting in a small area. Mine did take some pretty firm rubbing. My only guess is that on your car someone at some point treated the screen with some sort of wax - maybe the dealer?

turtleturtle likes this.