A/c keeps kicking on, and brake button issue

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Kingemail, Oct 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kingemail

Kingemail Member

Hello all it's me again, 2018 clarity bought a well ago. Here are some new issues I'm having....

So I'm here in San Diego, where the weather has been around high 80s, and every time I turn on the fan, cold air comes out even though I have the ac turned off. I also have both sides of screen set at 80 or so, so is there a way to enjoy the outside air coming in without using gas for the a/c?

My other issue is, I remember with the Volt, when you push on the brake button, all you have to do to release it is to push on the gas pedal. Most of the time it works, but sometimes I push the gas and I'm still stuck. I don't know if this happens when I turn on brake while I'm in drive, and I open door, get out and come back in again. The screen tells me to press the brake pedal which I do and still nothing, so I just turn the car off and back on and it resets. Am I doing something wrong?

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Allantheprinter

Allantheprinter New Member

My other issue is, I remember with the Volt, when you push on the brake button, all you have to do to release it is to push on the gas pedal. Most of the time it works, but sometimes I push the gas and I'm still stuck. I don't know if this happens when I turn on brake while I'm in drive, and I open door, get out and come back in again. The screen tells me to press the brake pedal which I do and still nothing, so I just turn the car off and back on and it resets. Am I doing something wrong?[/QUOTE]
    I'm not sure if this is your issue, but in order to release the parking brake automatically, you have to have your seat belt on as well as your foot on the brake.

4. JCA

JCA Active Member

For the AC issue, you may already know this but the buttons you showed in the first picture don't control the AC -- those are just the recirculate vs outside air controls. I hate that they wasted 2 buttons on that instead of having a single recirc toggle and a direct button for "AC on/off" like all of my previous cars.

To turn the AC off, you press the "Climate" button and wait for the climate screen to come up on the display. There's an AC On and Off button on that screen. The way to get pure fresh air is to move the temperature knob to "Lo" (so you don't inadvertently get costly heat), and ensure the AC is "off" on the climate screen (so no cooling), probably along with being in "outside air" mode as your picture shows.

I love love love the car, and hate hate hate the climate controls. I know some people set and forget at a single temperature, but it's too automatic for me in a weird way -- I want to cool the car to, say, 72, but when it's a pleasant 65 the next morning I really really don't want it blasting expensive electric heat to get up to 72, I just want raw fresh air -- but I don't want to just spin the temp down and have *AC* come on trying to cool it to 60 :)

5. Kingemail

Kingemail Member

I still keep getting cool air coming through, even when the climate function on screen shows ac off. If I set the temperature knob to low, then won't it be kicking ac all day until it gets to 60 degrees?

6. Kingemail

Kingemail Member

I'm not sure if this is your issue, but in order to release the parking brake automatically, you have to have your seat belt on as well as your foot on the brake.[/QUOTE]

Oh that's probably what it is, my seat belt is off when I try to move forward. Because I do deliveries so a lot of in n out movement

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JCA

JCA Active Member

If you mean right after turning the AC off when it's been on, the coil is still cold so you'll get cool air for a minute or so; after that it should be whatever the ambient temperature is outside.

If the AC "off" button is highlighted (not just neither button highlighted, which can mean it's in auto or defrost mode and the compressor could be on), then it doesn't matter how low the temp knob is set. Unlike the heater, which has no way to turn it off so anytime the knob is set to higher than the in-car temp it'll blast.

9. Kingemail

Kingemail Member

Oh ok so it has to be highlighted off, just because neither are highlighted doesn't mean it's off?

So I should set both left and right side to lo? Thanks

10. JCA

JCA Active Member

Correct, there seem to be 3 AC modes: Off button higlighted (guaranteed no AC compressor usage), On button highlighted (AC compressor will cycle as needed to reach the set temperature), and neither button highlighted. The last one happens when the climate system (i.e. the fan) is completely off, when you press the "Auto" button, or when you use the front defrost button. Again, I very strongly dislike this part of the car's interface, especially being on a slow screen when there was plenty of room for a normal "AC" physical button.

Yes, set both left and right side to "Lo" (I just leave mine in "sync" all the time, but I'm usually the only one in the car).

11. Kingemail

Kingemail Member

Yeah why couldn't they have just put an ac button!

Thanks man

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. zman0900

zman0900 New Member

For the brake hold thing: I've found if you even unbuckle your seatbelt while stopped with the car in drive and brake hold engaged, it will automatically engage the parking brake. It then makes you hold the brake pedal to be able to release the parking brake. I think I read that opening the door will also automatically put the car in park.

Kingemail likes this.
  14. Kingemail

Kingemail Member

Gotcha that makes sense now, I do food delivery and I like to put the brake hold on when I stop, and I can never seem to drive off easily! I know with the volt it worked the opposite, that's what I'm use to.

Another thing I learned the hard way was I didn't know all doors have to be closed and car shut off prior to charging. So many rules!