Steel wheels for Winter Tire

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by icepak, Sep 28, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. icepak

icepak New Member

2020 Clarity, I bought a set of new Michelin X-Ice XI3 this spring, size 235/45R18XL https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/pdp/michelin-x-ice-xi3-tire-0051817p.2085626.html

While I should have done some research about 17 I have the brand new set now. It's about $120 + tax to change it over without rims and $40 with rims here in BC.

I had a hard time finding steel wheels, on Kal-Tire/Canadian tire, pretty much any shop online, even on forums it seems like it's not easy to figure out which wheel would fit. I did find this one here on C-Wheels, just wondering if this would be an exact fit for the tires and for the car. The only spec that looks different is the steel wheel shows offset of 40mm, while stock wheels has inset of 50mm, not sure how those 2 numbers are related

https://www.c-wheels.ca/en/fitmentsearch/result/index/?code_aaia=269566&diameter=59&make=Honda&model=Clarity&submodel=Plug-In+Hybrid&year=2020

Specs:
    Item #: 1002398
    Size: 18x7
    Diameter: 18
    Bolt Pattern (mm): 5x114.3
    Offset (mm): 40
    Centre Bore (mm): 64.1
    Fixation Seat: Radius
    Colour: Black
    Part #: X48515
    Part Type: Steel Wheel
    Wheel Weight (lbs):31.8

--------------------- Reference stock wheels I copy and pasted---------------
    Enkei alloy 18X8J: 42800-TRT-N90
    Bolt pattern: 5-114.30mm
    Inset: 50mm
    Hub bore: 64.1mm
    Trim assembly (plastic): 44733-TRW-N00
    Lug nut: 90304-SA0-981
    Valve assembly: 08W16-S47-A0004
    TPMS Sensor: None
    Honda accessory replacement alloy wheel: 08W18-TRT-100

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

Got winter tires on steel rims at costco, they had no issues getting the right ones.

4. The c-wheels page shows a Costco Wholesale logo, so that's probably the wheel that Costco sold you.

Has anyone found a US source for a stock size steel wheel? I'm a 45 minute drive from Windsor Ontario but the border's still closed.

Okay, I found this: https://www.amazon.com/Aftermarket-5X114-3-finish-APPLICATION-FITMENT/dp/B01MFCBPHO but the center bore is huge and I'm not sure if a center bore adapter would work with a stamped wheel.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  5. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

B3858E36-5D2A-4C11-BF0A-870DC3EBF2D5.png

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

After your long wait for your Clarity PHEV, you want to put steel wheels on it? I put winter tires on our original rims and for non-winter use bought the Clarity accessory rims, which I think look better than the originals. I'm old and cannot detect an audible difference with the accessory wheels, which lack the originals' resonators. Of course, the aluminum Honda wheels cost more than steel wheels, but no hassles with center adapters, offsets, or tire sizes. And don't forget the differences in lug nuts you have to consider.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

What, have you got some kind of special diplomatic immunity that allows you to cross the border into Canada? I had to drive to the National Drive Electric Week event in Kalamazoo last Saturday because I couldn't cross the border to the event in nearby Windsor. The remanufactured wheels sound like the perfect option.

Edit: I just looked at the remanufactured wheels and they don't appear to come with the plastic parts. No matter, those parts are easy to pop off and swap between wheel sets.

9. No, no--I'm assuming that someday in the distant future that will be the reality. My mother lives in Lincoln, Massachusetts and we lop off almost 100 miles by cutting across from Sarnia to Queenston on the way.
    As things stand right now, Massachusetts won't let us in to mingle without a 14 day quarantine, so that visit has been indefinitely delayed. Fortunately, my sister lives in Larchmont, NY and Massachusetts lets New Yorkers in without quarantine.

The advantage of the reman OEM's is in the lug nut and offset situation. Much less expensive than the accessory wheels through a Honda dealer.

insightman likes this.
  10. icepak

icepak New Member

looks like the one from c-wheels (costco) is 18x7 where my tire needs minimum 7.5 width. Any other recommendation on where to look for a set of steel wheels that'd fit?

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. nano69an

nano69an New Member

I bought the exact Michelin tires at Canadian Tire and considering these wheels which has the exact specs for Honda Clarity:
    https://www.wheelwiz.ca/wheels/replika/r191/gloss-black/r191-1880-65bn-50r641

13. insightman

14. nano69an

nano69an New Member

I asked the seller and here is the response:
    "....
    Firstly, these wheels are absolutely OK to use in winter. In fact, they are designed for our Canadian winter and have a salt/calcium resistant paint finish.

Secondly, these are indeed a direct-fit wheel for your Clarity and will fit exactly like an original wheel would. You do not need any installation kit if you choose to purchase them as all your original hardware will work.
    ... "

It goes on sales every couple of weeks for $153 instead of $161.

I first considered these wheels (https://www.canadawheels.ca/cw-wheels/se17-gunmetal-w183319?currentselectedvehicle=198520) but the seller said it won't fit the Clarity due to brake clearance issue. Not sure why since only the offset is different (45 instead of 50). He recommended other wheels that fit and the offsets are 40 and 45.

15. icepak

icepak New Member

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I ended up finding a set of Steel wheels finally that fits the 18, 5x114.3 pattern, 64.1 bore size, with 42mm offset (Looks like Clarity allows 40 - 55mm offset)

https://www.4tires.ca/roues/search-dimensions-wheels?annee=87&marque=23&model=10043&modelsoptions=1011&option=7&categorie=1

It was really hard to find a set that met the above sizing requirement as well as the 7.5inch width minimum needed for the xice3 tires that I ordered, but did learn a lot throughout the process

(Before I found the above steel wheels the CW SE17 listed above was going to my choice, replika 191 was also deemed a good fit/choice)

16. nano69an

nano69an New Member

Did you receive your steel wheels? Do they direct fit (hub centric) with the original lug nuts? Your link to 4tires does not show the offset and bore size. These steel wheels will be my backup plan. Thanks.

17. icepak

icepak New Member

I called 4tires to double check, will be hubcentric, 64.1CB. I also went to DTD online catalogue (make sure to change to english)

https://catalogue-dtd.com/catalog#/

Once you put in the 2020 clarity it will show 851402 as exact fit, and give the boroe. The original lug nuts I'm not 100% sure yet, I feel like they should, will let you know when I get it and take it to the shop