BMS update fail...

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ericy, Aug 14, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

All I can say is good luck.

I haven't quite pulled the trigger myself. No news on the battery either.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

That is about 2 to 3 weeks of driving for me.

4. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I live California's lemon laws that say they have to do a buy back or replace the vehicle if the in warranty repairs take more than 30 days and that is cumulative, meaning if repair a for say a battery take 10 days, repair b for say a more takes 14 days and repair c for the air conditioning would take more than 2 additional days, they would count as longer than 30 days, as long as all repairs were under warranty.

5. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

In California, they must buy it back for at least what you paid for it, including whatever you got for your trade in or they can replace the vehicle with a similar new vehicle if you choose.

6. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

How about all of the taxes and fees that we had to pay to register the vehicle? Are they supposed to reimburse that as well?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

In California, yes, they have to make you "whole" again, meaning any costs incurred in the purchase of the vehicle.

Gjpzee likes this.
  9. Gjpzee

Gjpzee Member

That would be a positive. Hopefully they reimburse according to the lemon laws. They did tell me there would be a deduction for the miles driven, but no specifics on that.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  10. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

If you are in California, insist upon it or tell them their dealership will be reported to appropriate licensing board and you will be going after them. Don't back down, personally I would be forcing them to replace the vehicle, because I love this car already.

Gjpzee likes this.
  11. Gjpzee

Gjpzee Member

Thanks, yes I'm in California so let's see what they come back with.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

My car is registered in Virginia - I presume those are the laws that apply for me. The dealer is in Maryland (Virginia dealers don't sell the Kona).

Miles driven seems like a fair deduction. Mine only has something like 7000 miles on it. If it hadn't been for Covid, there would be a whole lot more.

Gjpzee likes this.
  14. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I don't know the laws there, I just know California since it is where I live and they don't allow for deduction for miles driven, although it would seem fair.

15. Gjpzee

Gjpzee Member

It seems they do? I searched around and found this.

Attached Files:

16. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Interesting, that is new, but remember any other expenses related to this that you incurred need to be covered.

Gjpzee likes this.
  17. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Hyundai consumer affairs called. The are basically offering to make the payments on the thing until I get the car back. Other than this, she doesn't have much info - they get the part from Mobis, which of course is a subsidiary of Hyundai, but there are too many layers and she just isn't able to get to the bottom of it. I am tempted to write to Mobis directly to see if I can get a more direct answer. There seems to be a webform here:

https://www.mobis.co.kr/customer/question/write.do

I haven't talked to corporate as of yet. If I get sufficiently ticked off, I will probably do this. That would be the 1st step in the lemon-law direction.

I don't know who creates the assembly itself. Ultimately the cells themselves come from LG (I guess). Is that the bottleneck? Hard to tell, but all of the other components are things that in theory ought to be easy to fabricate.

My own guess is that they order a certain number of cells at the beginning of the year - when the supplies comes, they make the assemblies and nearly all of them go for new vehicles, and they apparently don't hold much back for spares. The cells probably come in intermittently.

18. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I would have pushed them to simply replace the vehicle at that point, although I suppose having them make the payments for a while could be good as well.

19. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I think I need to talk to an entirely different person if I want to do that.

20. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I got a form response from Mobis - in Korean. No idea what if anything will come of it, but I asked for specifics as to when the part would ship and when they expect it at the dealer. Their first task is to find someone who speaks English. It is just the start of the work day there - we will see if I have a response of any sort by tomorrow.

electriceddy likes this.
  21. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Sigh. The language and timezone issue is going to make this impossible, and it is now the weekend in Korea.

There is a brochure one can download here:

https://en.mobis.co.kr/products/P0012/index.do

It has an email address for someone at mobis-usa.com in Michigan. Let me try that. He probably doesn't know much, but if I make enough noise and pester enough people, I might eventually get somewhere.

The brochure is sort of a sales brochure of sorts, but it has some information. Basically confirms that Mobis buys the cells (LG Chem?), and then builds the rest of it themselves.

upload_2020-9-25_7-42-51.png

upload_2020-9-25_7-44-10.png
    upload_2020-9-25_7-45-29.png

electriceddy likes this.
  22. Did you try this phone#(1-248-426-5577)
    https://en.mobis.co.kr/contentsid/3740/index.do

23. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I heard back from Mobis - they haven't even been able to find an order for a battery. It technically would have been ordered by Hyundai and not by the dealer - that's giving them all the benefit of the doubt. But now I am starting to get ticked, and am getting closer to just throwing in the towel and asking for a buyback.

I am a little busy with other things right this minute, and I probably need to cool down a bit before I do anything.