Delivery Stories

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by insightman, Feb 27, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree with this. That combination just *looks right*. Of course, I'm not sure how much of that opinion is the result of MINI using that color combo for all their launch events and most of their press cars.

But I wanted my car to *not* look like the launch/press car. If we could get the SE in Starlight Blue, I would have opted for the Energetic Yellow mirror caps & blades. Likewise, if the yellow caps & blades were allowed on British Racing Green, I probably would have selected that.

I really like the look of Moonwalk Gray but my opinion is that darker accents suit it better, so I wasn't warm to yellow for mirror caps and blades.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Msmith

Msmith New Member

Yeah, I found it odd the yellow accents were not available with British Racing Green, that would of been my 1st pick. They already got all the parts needed, why not make that available?

I ended up going enigmatic black with white mirrors and white roof.

MichaelC likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

@KeninFL, I purchased a slightly used set of MINI "Loop Spoke" wheels like yours long before my MINI arrived. I selected the Power Spoke wheels for my Iconic SE because they are unique to the SE, but I would be so disappointed if I curbed them, transferring that thin band of Energetic Yellow to undeserving concrete. So, impractically, I always planned to store the Power Spoke wheels rather than use them. I'll put them on for events such as the National Drive Electric Week event this weekend. The Loop Spokes will be the workhorse, everyday wheels on our MINI Cooper SE.

Do people know that the Power Spoke wheels require a special tool to balance them? That's a real fashion statement when you create a wheel that requires a unique tool! How do tire stores find out about this tool and is it absolutely essential? Here's a photo my ex-MINI dealer MA sent me.
    [​IMG]

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I'm finding the SE lives up to MINI in general, there are a lot of configuration options and everyone has something for their own preferences. For instance, I love the Power/Electric Spoke wheels but many really dislike them. We each get to choose a combo to suit our personalities. My first MINI was Chili Red by accident, it was a dealer vehicle they were unloading at a good price. I loved the color so much I had to go with it for my SE (and body color roof). But I was disappointed MINI wouldn't let me get the yellow blade with that body color.

Even buying off the lot is fun, there are so many choices.

6. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

I'd heard of the special tool, but hadn't thought much about what it was. Based on the photo, it appears to an asymmetrical counterweight, which balances the asymmetrical mass distribution of the wheel? I wonder how much it costs...if you had one, you could take it and your car to any mechanic, and they could balance your wheel like any other.

Of course, MINI may wish to support their dealers by providing the tool only to them. So, an alternative would be to take already factory-balanced wheel and determine how much mass to add to the periphery to make it register as such using the conventional approach.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KeninFL

KeninFL Member

BRG w/EY caps and blade make the car look like a Lotus. I've been in the Lotus community since I had my Lotus Esprit and brg/yellow are dear to Lotus affectionados and generally considered as proprietary colors for the marque. I'd guess that a mfg'er especially a UK one (Mini) decking out one of their models in that livery would seem as improper asd copyright infringement. BRG is the international racing color for the UK by BRG & yellow are Lotus specific. OTOH, John Deere has been using it forever.

GDOG and MichaelC like this.
  9. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

This is why I chose to *not* get those wheels. I didn't want to be tied to the dealership for tire purchase/installation.

That makes enough sense that I would believe it.

That use case seems like a pretty low risk for brand confusion. :D

Toi likes this.
  10. Norbu72

Norbu72 Active Member

Obviously, too late for you but you probably could have gone BRG then traded blade and caps with someone else who ordered with EY.

It seems like there are plenty of folks out there that prefer the less bright look. Your dealer may even have switched it for you. I’m getting the black door handles but keeping the rest of the chrome trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

11. TittaPDX

TittaPDX Member

Hey, @Toi ... I just checked and the Demeter Leader is just off the coast of the Dominican Republic.

Norbu72 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Toi

Toi Well-Known Member

yup, was waiting for it to dodge the storms and get within range of either DR or PR :). should be in queue at Panama by saturday night/sunday morning!

14. Toi

Toi Well-Known Member

@TittaPDX - looks like it arrived to queue at Panama a little early :)

LazyPanda and TittaPDX like this.
  15. LazyPanda

LazyPanda Member

So good to hear that your mini is approaching home sooner. Mine is still at port. Sad, there is no any updates I can find. I hope my mini will catch up her ride home soon.

16. Toi

Toi Well-Known Member

Where's the 'dislike' button... :(

17. LazyPanda

LazyPanda Member

Major update: my MINI is in Transit now, en-route to US. Dealer just texted me that est arrival to Port Hueneme is Oct 21. Coming soon...
    @Norbu72: Check your status, your MINI maybe is on the same ship.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  18. Toi

Toi Well-Known Member

Woot! congrats! @TittaPDX 's and mine is in the Pacific making the last leg to California now... ETA Oct. 6th.

19. LazyPanda

LazyPanda Member

Nice! I am two weeks behind you. Now news is saying UK is preparing another shutdown. That is not good :( hopefully it won't affect Oxford plant.

TittaPDX likes this.
  20. TittaPDX

TittaPDX Member

It says San Diego on the 6th so I think that's the 1st stop. I think it's similar to how marinetracker showed it first going from Southampton to Panama. My guess is Oxnard is still the 8th. I have my custom plate picked out (& checked it's available), now just trying to determine which plate to use on car. :)

Norbu72 and Toi like this.
  21. Norbu72

Norbu72 Active Member

Yes, I just got off the phone with Ask Mini. I’m on the Sara Leader and heading for Oxnard!! So exciting. I can’t believe it. It feels good to be moving forward again. We must be on the same ship. It’s here now off the coast of England/Ireland:

IMG_1426.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

LazyPanda likes this.
  22. LazyPanda

LazyPanda Member

Yes, my dealer just texted me the ship name, we are on the same ship!! so excited!! This is truly a love and hate relationship, LOL

Norbu72 likes this.
  23. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Do you mean which background for your custom plate? Does your Secretary of State's website let you visualize your custom plate with all the available backgrounds? Does one background color look better with the color of your SE? Are there elements of the background that might make one or more of the characters you've chosen difficult to make out? Unfortunately, you cannot count on a website visualization to look exactly like the plate you order, but I'm happy to have a way to play around with different combinations.