2021 Clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by subsonicdriver, Sep 4, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. subsonicdriver

subsonicdriver New Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. You may have answered your own question.

turtleturtle likes this.
  4. subsonicdriver

subsonicdriver New Member

Ok. I'll ask a more specific question then. Are folks surprised that they're hitting lots soon? The 2020 was released in January, so I was assuming similar timing for the 2021.

5. No. I’m not surprised.

6. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I am a little surprised. I would have assumed winter. I am more surprised one is showing in Marietta, GA.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Danks

Danks Active Member

Clicking on their inventory link showed no Clarity of any model year. Sounds more like they are looking for customers for a car to be in later than a 2021 actually popping up on their lot.

JFon101231 and insightman like this.
  9. That looks like a 2021 VIN, and not a particularly early one (000644).
    Makes me wonder what model year mine will be (supposedly arriving this week).

10. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

css28

Gotta admire your sticktuitiveness.

Good luck with your Clarity.

insightman likes this.
  11. Just got an email with photos from the dealer. The car has arrived (and it's a 2020).

Danks likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JCA

JCA Active Member

Unless there are changes that haven't been reported, the 2018-2021 cars are the same (reports that there would be a difference in the pedestrian warning tone, but that was all from a single dubious article and I haven't heard of anyone comparing a 2019 and 2020 side by side to confirm).

So "2021 production start" might be just someone pressing the reset button on the VIN generator in the factory :)

turtleturtle likes this.
  14. There's a smaller color selection for 2021, both in the US and Canada.

The designated model year can have an effect on resale value.

15. JCA

JCA Active Member

Interesting, the "Moonlit Forest" color (green) doesn't seem to be available for 2021. The rest (White, Silver, Steel, Black, Crimson) are the same as 2019. That's for the plug-in hybrid; I believe the fuel cell and battery electric always had different colors available.

Totally agree that the model year makes a difference for resale and even for financing -- my 2019 would qualify for "new car" rates if I wanted to refinance it even now; the otherwise-same 2018 made a few days earlier wouldn't.

16. A couple of weeks ago when visiting honda.ca I saw just four colors available for the base model in Canada, with both Crimson Pearl and Moonlit Forest deleted.
    Revisiting today, it looks like their base model is down to two colors (Modern Steel and Platinum White) while their Touring has just three (Modern Steel, Platinum White and Crimson) now.
    https://www.honda.ca/clarity/trims

17. Kailani

Kailani Member

I got an offer in the mail today from a local Honda dealer offering $5500 for my 2018 leased moonlit forest green Clarity, the letter adding that the Clarity is in high demand in our area. So my curiosity drove me to Honda’s website where I could build a car and be contacted by a dealer. It turns out the dealership where I had gotten my Clarity has six 2021s en route. Not sure what that dealership would offer for my 2018 (29,300 mi) but the residual value on my lease (expires 4/2021) is slightly over $16K. My current lease, 3-yr 15K mi/yr, is $299/mo. Back then, Honda was encouraging buyers with fairly attractive lease offers. They shared $6,000 of the Federal tax credit in the form of reduced price used to calculate my lease and RV. Should I try and trade in and get the new one? There do not seem to be any significant changes for this, the fourth year of this model. I’m disappointed Honda dropped my green. What’s your favorite color in the 2021 offerings?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Peter CC likes this.
  18. soobaerodude

soobaerodude New Member

Check with online car purchasing services carvana.com and vroom.com to get an estimate on how much they'll pay for it. You will most likely get an offer that's higher than the residual on your lease. If you do decide to trade in at a dealership, at least have those offers beforehand to help with negotiation.

Have you seen the most recent posts in the Price paid thread? Honda is currently offering a $6500 factory to dealer incentive for 2020 Clarities. People are purchasing base models for as low as $25,500 + TTL and $28,500 + TTL for touring.

19. Bear in mind that "in high demand in our area" is a cliche in the dealership world. I used to get such solicitations for our 17 year old Subaru when it was on death's door and *not* in any level of discernable demand in metro Detroit. They just want you back in the showroom, looking for a car.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these $6500 factory to dealer incentives are highly regional--not applicable across the country.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  20. I’m not certain about the current incentives. Last year it was available from CA, OR and maybe WA dealers only. At that time, July/August 2019, there were no Clarities available in OR and WA.

21. soobaerodude

soobaerodude New Member

You're right. According to carsdirect, the dealer incentive is for the zero emissions states. It also looks like they haven't updated the incentive amount on that page since it still says $4500 as of 9/6, but it was raised to $6500 last week. You can also see that amount at the Costco Auto page for the Clarity

22. JCA

JCA Active Member

I'm seeing 2021 PHEV Clarities in CA now -- has anyone determined for sure if the CA (and ZEV) manufacturer to dealer incentive (currently $6500) applies to 2021 or not? I suspect not based on the info at costcoauto and the number of 2020s on the lots they'd probably like to clear, but wanted to cross-check. I'm considering upgrading from a 2019 if zero net cost; while it would be even more valuable to get in a 2021, even a 2020 is a year newer battery, tires, etc.

23. soobaerodude

soobaerodude New Member

Carsdirect says the incentive is $3000 in ZEV states for 2021 Clarities