Google maps and car play

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by KonaTom, Sep 14, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

Planning to take my wife's preferred on a road trip. With no built in navigation I want to use google maps through carplay. It displays ok, but when I set filter on my phone to show charge stations, it only shows on the phone, not on the kona AV screen. Can't seem to make it show charge stations on the screen. Is there a trick I don't know?
    May have to take my Ultimate!!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. You might want to try waze.

4. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Most configuration is only done on the phone. We've run into these limits also.

5. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

For some reason, Google Maps doesn't recognize that the Kona is an electric vehicle, guessing it isn't passing the info through Android Auto.

6. KonaTom

Thanks for the inputs, I guess there is no solution yet. Strange that filters show on the phone but not on the av screen.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

Do you mean on Android Auto? I have an iPhone and can’t get google maps on CarPlay, but Apple’s maps works well. “Show charging stations” brings up a bunch of nearby DC chargers on the car display.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. You might want to consider using Apple Maps. They just added EV charging stations to the maps software so you can have the map display chargers enroute instead of gas stations. That's built into Carplay so it should work flawlessly. It does on my Kona at least.

KonaTom likes this.
  10. KonaTom

I have an iphone and google maps works fine on carplay. Don't see why yours won't. You might need to adjust a setting on your iphone.

11. KonaTom

Thanks, I might do that!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KonaTom

Can
    can't seem to find any settings on apple maps to change gas stations to electric chargers. Clicking search brings up gas stations and others, but no chargers.

14. KonaTom

figured it out. had to use EV instead of electric