2020 PHEV Not Just For California

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by css28, Jan 30, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Honda has given me an estimate of Sept 17-21 for the car's arrival at my dealer. Assuming this is correct, that will have been about 7 1/2 months after I ordered it.

I wish I could say that the time has flown by.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

7 1/2 months? Dang, you could have bought a Tesla Model 3 and got it within 3-4 weeks. Or drove down to your local Chevy dealer and bought a Bolt right off the lot. :)

But realistically, I did a quick search for my zip code (73102) and found 3 Clarities at a dealer within 20 miles. Price? Full MSRP of $37500. Quite surprising.

4. If I'd wanted a Model 3 or a Bolt, I'd have bought one. We have a Nissam LEAF that we use for everything local. The Clarity will serve as our road trip car.

Regarding the Clarities at various dealers, they've filtered out randomly over time. My main goal was to get a car "of color" (red or green). I just can't get excited about various shades of black, white and silver.

A red one popped up a couple of weeks ago near Grand Rapids but there's no sense reaching for that when my car is on the way.

Of course with the pandemic, our need for a second car has evaporated for now. I work from home and we literally haven't had both cars out of the garage since March 17. This made the waiting easier.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I've found that waiting for a new car is one of the few ways to slow the headlong passage of time. I applaud your choice of cars. Neither a Tesla nor a Bolt offer the PHEV capabilities of a Clarity Plug-In Hybrid. We waited as long for our Clarity, if you count when the PHEV was announced as our start date.

6. ETA has been moved up to next week.

I am selling our Prius to Carvana, to be picked up Saturday afternoon.

CyberDyneSystems and insightman like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. In other news, Honda World in Louisville, KY is now listing six 2020 Clarity PHEV Touring, including one in Moonlit Forest Pearl.

In addition to Norman, OK as described above, there are several now in Denver and Boulder, CO.

9. It would be interesting to know if any of those recent arrivals have migrated from stock that has been sitting in CA?

10. The Louisville Batch appear no to be. The last six digits of the VIN's range from 002487 to 002810 with four of them ranging from 002628 to 002648 (making them clearly from the same assembly day). These are all later VIN's than I've been seeing over the months.

11. My car's at the dealer. VIN 002150.
    I suspect I'll be picking it up early next week.

gedwin, insightman and Danks like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. The deal is sealed. Picked up my car yesterday afternoon.
    The dealer experience was nothing to write home about--I chose them because they were close to home and willing to place the order for me. At my request, they handed me a PDI report but it was generic with a lot of check marks and no battery evaluation.
    In spite of another request, the car was delivered with no battery charge and clearly the EVSE had never been checked, as it was still wrapped in multiple layers of bubble wrap in a plastic bag. Given that this particular dealership has delivered, maybe, half a dozen plug-in vehicles ever, I suspect they don't have any EVSE of their own.
    The paperwork went relatively quickly but we ended up sitting for an hour while they washed and detailed the car. The detailing was done well, except they forgot to clean the inside of the rear window.

I'm very impressed with how quiet the engine was in charge sustainment (dead battery) mode driving home. As the former owner of a Gen 1 Volt, I can tell you that there's no comparison :) .

Even got HondaLink up and running.

The sales guy was personally appalled at the 7 1/2 months elapsed from order to delivery. Good thing my actual need for a second car was suspended in March. Newest car I've every bought with 3 miles on the odometer at pick up.

insightman, MrFixit, Pooky and 4 others like this.
  14. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Glad the long wait is over...
    As a former Volt owner, do you have a Level 2 EVSE at home?

15. I do. I was lucky enough to purchase my Volt in mid summer of 2013 and take advantage of a limited time offer from our electric utility to cover the cost of EVSE and its installation as well as a dedicated time of use meter so we could take advantage of off-peak rates with a little planning. Off peak is about $.09/kWh, including delivery costs.

When the Volt met its sudden demise last summer, I picked up a Nissan LEAF which we've been using ever since so the Level 2 has been nice to have.