Default view for Sirius XM (SXM)...

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Insighter, Aug 29, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

There are two views of the SXM interface as shown in the photos below. The first one, which I'll call the grid view, partially obscures the album cover image and has four large buttons to the side. The second one is the one I like (it shows the album image cover and has the presets buttons visible). I would swear the second one was my default at one time, but now my infotainment system defaults to the grid view every time. Does anyone know how to make it default to the second view? I've played around with settings for 30 minutes and can't find any way to change it.
    IMG_5752.jpg IMG_5753.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

The first view you call the grill is what I would call the "Mother" Audio level on the "alternative interface skin". At least in my case it always defaults to that (except I have never seen the funny yellow strips but I suspect that's your wallpaper). You get to the second view when you click on the left upper window where the song name is. It will last until you turn off the car or you click the last button to the right (first row) which would bring you back to the "mother" level. I have not been able to find a way of getting the second view to stay, it will always default to the 'mother' view when you turn on the car. BTW, that's not specific of Sirius XM, it's the same for any audio mode, whether USB, FM radio or Bluetooth. Hope this helps.

Daniel M W likes this.
  4. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

It's not the answer I wanted, but I guess it's the answer I needed! Thanks!

5. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

I've never seen the first view on XM and only get the second one. I also like the second one best and would be afraid to try to go the first one for fear I couldn't get back.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  6. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Oh, wow. That means there must be some way to switch back and forth between them. Anyone know how?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I know nothing about XM, but there is an option in the vehicle settings called "Remember Last Screen"
    I was interested in this setting for a different reason and it did not work for me, but... It's a long-shot, and may be worth a try in your scenario.

9. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

I am starting to suspect not all of our Clarities have exactly the same software settings, some things work for some people and not for others, at least regarding display settings.

10. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

I think you are right. The Touring model with the GPS system has a different head unit for the audio and probably different software.

11. I don't use SiriusXM, but I have noted there's an additional (but AFAIR very limited) settings page in the diagnostics menu.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Daniel M W

Daniel M W Member

If you select the alternative interface skin, this view will be by default. The only way is selecting back the original radio skin...

In my case I use the alternate skin and tap everytime to get the second view.

GrewUpOnADirtRoad likes this.
  14. Pretty sure this can be modified through one of the root/kernel flags, someone would have to dig it up and test though.

Daniel M W likes this.
  15. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Okay, I figured this out. The default changes when you change skins in the infotainment system settings. The default setting gives you the Sirius/XM display shown below by default. Unfortunately, unlike the grid view, it apparently does not show any customized wallpaper you have created on this screen (as it does in the grid view). Regardless , I think I prefer this display, anyway.
    IMG_5849.jpg

16. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

I had never seen the grid view, though I've switched to XM streaming (via CarPlay) since they allowed streaming on Select. Ody has the subscription now, and I just stream. For $5 a month to cover both cars, I'm in..

I did thought about adding a tin foil hat to the antenna during the last free preview... lol...

17. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

I am thoroughly confused. What is “Select“? What is “Ody“? What would covering the antenna in tinfoil accomplish?

18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

XM Select is a package of Sirius XM channels that includes access through internet streaming. "Ody" is what some people call their Honda Odyssey vans. People whose free preview subscriptions are about to expire, hope to find a way to block the Sirius XM signal that disables the ability of their satellite radio to receive Sirius XM programming. Unfortunately, if the tinfoil solution blocked that signal, it would also block the programming.

19. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Oh. I didn't know SiriusXM had an option that didn't include streaming, and that's what I thought about the block of the signal. It's my understanding that when you cancel a subscription, they send out the cancellation to your radio relatively frequently at first, and then less and less frequently as time goes on. I'm guessing if you had a radio that had been cancelled a dozen or more years ago, that you hadn't turned on in the meantime, a signal to deactivate it might never come through.

20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I don't know how it works, but if it worked that way then Sirius XM would never send a cancellation signal to my radio because I have a lifetime subscription. However, a couple of times I have had to email to Sirius XM support to get my radio re-authorized. OTOH, I cannot rule out the possibility that the company may randomly send out cancellation signals to blocks of old radios just to see who complains.