Fully charged battery gives you ___ mi of range. . . Fill in the blank

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by CodysEv, Aug 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. My level 2 charger is from a kit, and has a "dryer plug" on it. I have a corresponding socket in my garage where it lives most of the time.

But I can take it with me, and the cords are long enough that I could plug it into the laundry room of a friend and get it to my car. That gives me the possibility of a portable level 2 charger.

Also, I had a Fiat EV before, and the 110v charger could operation on 220 and it would give a bit higher charge rate, and I made a 220v plug adapter. I have no clue on the Kia "granny" charger and am not recommending this.

Greg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert@SF

Robert@SF New Member

I get 276 miles at 90% charge. I seriously doubt I would come close to it. Driving around town in hilly San Francisco, I get at least 4 miles/kWh but driving at highway speeds, it's more like 3.6 miles/kWh.

4. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

276/0.9 = 306+ mi

:)

5. Paul-ATL

Paul-ATL New Member

I regularly fill up to 100% for long trips, and I’ve actually driven the thing until it stops driving - tow truck and all. At highway speeds (70-80) 250-260 is what you can expect.

If everything is perfect (weather wise, traffic, etc.) I’ve gotten 280.

6. Robert@SF

Robert@SF New Member

At 70-80mph, 250 miles sounds nice.

Andrew Le likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Andrew Le

Andrew Le New Member

Cool... I'm near Seattle too... I've not had a chance to charge to 100% yet, but around 90% I get about 252 miles.

9. CanuckTom

CanuckTom Member

I've built a similar adapter for my Niro, the Hyundai/Kia supplied granny charger is capable of Charing up to 250V (it's same as the European model) which when using my adapter to get two separate legs of a panel from two 120v plugs gives me 2.8kw of charging at 240v rather than 1.2 - 1.4kw from a regular 120v outlet. I use this adapter every time I visit my in-laws and it works great!

Only thing that's a bit difficult is finding two 120v sockets on different legs of the house panel. Generally in houses built in the last 25 years with attached garages, two plugs in the garage are on different legs to allow for large draw power tools to be used without impacting the breakers.

10. Clever!

11. EVDog

EVDog Member

Road trip the day after I got my ‘19 EX. Charged to 90%, range showed as 268 miles. Happy with that, I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Paul-ATL

Paul-ATL New Member

could you share some instructions for how to do this? It would be a lifesaver if we ever wanted to take the car on family trips. I have a second granny charger, actually, so I can afford to take the risk of messing up one ;-)

14. A fully charged battery gives us a varying 276 to 310 miles of range. I'm skeptical of the accuracy of that indication though.

15. StuartE

StuartE New Member

The most I've seen for 100% is 510km. 500km is pretty routine. However, on a trip through the mountains at highway speed in the rain, it dropped down to 410km. After a couple of trips in the city, I expect I'll be back up to 500km again soon. It's all about how you drive.

16. Hedge

Hedge Member

Also interested, but couldn't you also use a 20 amp 240v plug if available, without looking for 2 different legs. I'm lucky I guess because the 2018 leaf we own came with a 14-50 level 2.

17. Note who posted the idea, a person from Canada, where regular outlets are 120, not the UK where regular outlets are 220.

So to get 220 on our continent, the only outlet in the house with 220 will be the dryer plug.

We have 3 wires coming into our houses. Certain combinations give 220, certain give 120, but there are TWO 120v "circuits" and if you take the "hot" lead from each, you get 220... so as stated in a garage, often there are 2 or more outlets on different legs, so making a cable combining the hot leads from 2 appropriate outlets would give you 220. My garage is wired that way.

Greg

18. Hedge

Hedge Member

Not always correct, it is quite possible that other 240v outlets are available. The nema 6-20 is one that has H,H,G. No nuetral

The quick 220 was available, do not know of the site it still shipping. It take each phase and makes a nema 14-50 outlet, and has an led to tell you when you have plugged in to the separate phases.

One of the posters says he is using the supplied ESVE which has a regular outlet plug and can fit into a 6-20. I'm wanting to know what outlet type he uses to combine the 2 phases. Because it would be awesome if I could get 220v/240v at . 12 Amps out of the supplied esve.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  19. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Active Member

Air density caused by cold air has a lot bigger impact on range on a cold day than battery temperature. I have seen my range reduced significantly on a cold day on long trips after multiple fast charges. Tom Mulholland generated a chart for the Nissan Leaf that indicated a 1% capacity drop for every 4 degree F drop in ambient temperature, I always use this formula on long trips.

20. Texas Niro EV

I have some advice for newbies out there. I have made some very long trips in my 2029 Niro EV. My last long trip was a 3,000 mile trip to Colorado and back a couple of weeks ago.

The rule of thumb I use on a long trip is 2 miles of range for every 1% battery capacity. Yes this formula only appears to give 200 miles of range, which appears pretty short for the Niro EV, but it’s easy to calculate range this way and the formula will insulate you against unforeseen events like hitting a strong headwind.

I also make sure I will have at least 10% charge when I get to my next charging stop. So, if my next charging stop is 120 miles away, I charge to 70%. I usually have more than 10% capacity when I arrive at my next charging stop but, if it looks like my end capacity is going to be lower than 10% when I get to my next charge, start slowing down in increments until the end capacity comes up.

The only time I break this rule of thumb is when the guess-o-meter indicates I have twice as much range as I need. If the guess-o-meter indicates that I have 16 miles of range but I only have 8 miles to my next charge, I’m not going to worry too much that I won’t have 10% capacity when I get to the next charging station. I hope you find this information useful and it makes you a little more comfortable on your next long trip.

21. Texas Niro EV

I find the whole topic of this thread pretty pointless. I have had to hypermile some of my previous EVs just to make it to my next charging stop. If I did hypermiling in the Niro EV the way I did in my other EVs I would get over 400 miles of range.

I would prefer never having to do hypermiling again. With range and charging speed of the Niro EV and with the current state of charging infrastructure, at least in my area of the country, I see very little need to hypermile. Range on an EV is so subjective it’s really hard to compare one person’s range to another person’s without some very clear test parameter and we really don’t know what the test conditions were when someone lists a number on this thread.

22. 280

60% back roads
    10% cruising the town
    30% highway

23. SAM1130

SAM1130 New Member

I think another important piece of data would be what mode are you guys driving in. Are you guys driving an eco mode, normal mode, sport mode? They all make a difference in battery consumption. I myself find Eco mode suitable for most driving situations that I'm in. Although I do enjoy the throttle response of sport mode. Eco mode still has enough power to get you around whatever you want if you floor it. On top of that in normal eco driving it just seems to sip the juice.