Adding rain sensing wipers

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by PDX Clarity, Sep 3, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. PDX Clarity

PDX Clarity New Member

Just got my new 2020 Clarity Touring. I love it but I know I will dearly miss the rain sensing automatic wipers that I had on my Audi. I live in Portland Oregon which is a bit damp half the year. Has anyone attempted to retrofit this feature? Apparently, it is on the Fuel Cell version so it seems likely that the wiring is present and the computer module could be programmed.

Also, as I am new to Hondas, I would appreciate any advice on computer programs to interface with the vehicle. There is an outstanding company called Ross Tech that sells a CAN Bus interface cable and developed a really good program for VW-Audi vehicles.

turtleturtle likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I don't think you can easily retrofit for rain-sensing wipers. Rain-sensing wipers requires a sensor on the windshield and a special coating on the windshield. This is not something that can be done after-market.

4. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

I live in the PNW, and this would honestly be great, but as mentioned you need a windshield with the correct reflective coating. I’m not sure it can be done.

Do any Hondas have rain sensing wipers? Maybe there’s an OEM module we could start with.

5. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

@turtleturtle , Honda do make cars with auto-wiper. My 16 pilot has it.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Does that mean there's yet an even rarer Clarity windshield that would need to be ordered if a Clarity Fuel Cell's windshield was broken? I'd love to know the price of that windshield with the special coating. It's interesting how Honda de-contented the Clarity Electric and Clarity Plug-In Hybrid after packing so many cool features (eg. head-up display, rain-sensing wipers, better sound system) into the original Clarity, the Clarity Fuel Cell.

JFon101231 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I check the parts. Windshield for the plug-in is part 73111-trv-a01, $1093 while the part for hydro Clarity is 7311-trt-a01,$661. I can't believe the windshield for hydro is so much cheaper.

Pooky and insightman like this.
  9. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

I added an aftermarket unit to our previous 2015 OutBack. It worked well but at the time that company was getting out selling to the public (the install was not plugnplay) and concentrating on wholesale business. I luckily ordered two sensor mounts as the sticky tape was pretty much permanent so a new mount for the sensor was needed anytime the windshield was replaced.

We have two other cars in the family with rain sensing wipers and really miss this feature in the Clarity along with rear cross-traffic alert.

10. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Since the Fuel Cell Windshield which has the heads up display and rain sensing wipers is $430 cheaper than the PHEV windshield, why not put that one in if the PHEV windshield is broken? Wouldn't they be identical in size?

Remarksman and insightman like this.