Wiper Question and Fuel Question

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by fusioncutter, Aug 27, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. fusioncutter

fusioncutter New Member

Hello,

I'm a new owner of a Clarity. Awesome car!

Two questions.

1. Is there two different "rest" positions for the wiper? When off, they are in a different position than when on. I'm trying to figure if this is a defect or intended design.

2. What's the longest I can leave gas in the tank before it goes bad? I have access to charging at home and work, should I be using up the gas tank, say once every 6 months etc?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

The consensus is that if you drive long enough without running the engine, the car will run it for you. Some people find that annoying. If you inadvertently accelerate too hard the engine will come on to assist the battery. If that happens, the engine will continue to run until it has reached the proper temperature. The fuel tank only holds 7 gallons of gasoline. Since the Clarity only has a 45 to 55 mile range on the battery, any decent road trip will require some gasoline to be burned. I usually fill up once I get below 1/2 tank, about 4 gallons. Don't worry about it. The car will burn enough gasoline periodically. The fuel system is such that moisture can only get in while fueling.

My Clarity is a 2018 and has 27,000 miles on it. I estimate that the battery has degraded about 10%. When the car was new, I could get close to 60 miles on a charge with easy driving. Now I can only get about 53 miles under the same conditions. I believe that Honda does not consider a battery to have excessive deterioration until it has lost 33% of capacity. As a hybrid, on long road trips, I consistently get 42-43 mpg. It is a very good car for long road trips except for the small fuel tank.

4. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

Seems to be that way on mine (2018 Touring). I agree with you that it is an awesome car, but the windshield wipers are not one of its high points.

fusioncutter likes this.
  5. As has been described in other threads, the wipers are unusual in that they're not mechanically coupled through a mechanism. Two separate motors are used.
    I can see advantages to such an approach in terms of packaging. A typical wiper module occupies cowl space that might be used for something else.

6. fusioncutter

fusioncutter New Member

Thanks

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I assume the tucked-in rest position for the windshield wipers improves the aerodynamics. I have no problems with the wipers, but the washer(s) suck. The great @KentuckyKen always recommends RainX as a fix.

9. RainX works great. But the problem in California is the law requires you have wipers on when it's raining.

10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Do they actually stop cars and give out no-wipers-in-rain tickets? Does the law cover intermittent wipers set to long (or customized very long) intervals? Still, the wipers (and washers) work better with RainX. I should have noted earlier that @KentuckyKen recommends both the RainX windshield stuff and the windshield washer solution stuff, too.

Kerbe likes this.
  11. More likely they give you a ticket for not having your headlights on when it's raining out in California. I always thought the point of RainX was you don't need to turn on wipers at all. Even in pouring rain. That was my experience years ago when I lived on the East Coast.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

In California, the law requires the headlights to be on IF the wipers are on in a continuous mode (including interval). I don't know of a law that requires using wipers in the rain, only that the car has them.

14. Under: Headlight Integration with Wipers

“The headlights automatically come on when the wipers are used several times within a certain number of intervals with the headlight switch in Auto.”

There may be something lost in translation. Substitute “number of intervals” with “time period” for some clarity.

Also, on the same page: “The headlights automatically go off a few minutes later if the wipers are stopped.”

It may be reasonable to conclude that the headlights would not automatically go off if it happened to be dark outside, you were wearing sunglasses, had a full tank of gas and were on a mission from God.

15. Good try rodeknyt. I had to look this one up, but California Vehicle Code Section 26707 states:

"Windshield wipers required by this code shall be maintained in good operating condition and shall provide clear vision through the windshield for the driver. Wipers shall be operated under conditions of fog, snow, or rain and shall be capable of effectively clearing the windshield under all ordinary storm or load conditions while the vehicle is in operation."

16. There are 20 states that require headlights on when wipers are in use.

I always like these signs:

[​IMG]

insightman likes this.
  17. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

The first headlights were oil lamps. They required a match to light the wick. So technically, the sign is correct. :D

18. stacey burke

stacey burke Active Member

I replace the Gas once a year. Run it til the gas light comes on then fillup.. Don't run it dry it could hurt the fuel pump. I'm on 11 months and still have 1/2 tank, next month I'll run HV until the light comes on and get it filled.

insightman likes this.