GFCI

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Alex800st, Aug 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

Honda FAQ says
    “. It is recommended to use a dedicated 120-volt GFCI outlet (not shared) with a minimum requirement of a 15 amp circuit”

however in my case GFCI trips when I plug my charger. Any other device works on in perfectly, including electric heater, kettle etc. Why?

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Maybe it's time to replace your GFCI outlet? I know the OEM evse only draws ~11amps while operating, so it shouldn't be triggering anything.

insightman likes this.
  4. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Do those other things you tried the outlet have grounded (three-prong) plugs? If not, the problem could be behind the outlet rather than in the charger. Mine works fine in my garage outlet (per NEC, all garage and exterior outlets with few exceptions must be be GFCI-protected). In either case (problem with the wiring or problem with the EVSE), the outlet is doing its job. In case it isn't, then a replacement outlet is all of $14 at Lowe's. I'm guessing the EVSE is considered an "accessory" and subject to the 3y/36k warranty if it is the faulty party.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  5. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

How many amps for the circuit your GFCI is on? If it is at least 15, then I would agree with the PP that replacing the GFCI is likely what is needed; however, it could also be your portable EVSE is defective.

6. Try using the same EVSE in a different GFCI protected outlet (on a different circuit), if it trips - EVSE or car is the issue, if it doesn't and charges fine - the original GFCI receptacle or breaker is at fault ;)

mho and insightman like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. zman0900

zman0900 New Member

I think chargers just don't work correctly with GFCI. My 240v chargepoint evse came with a big warning on the box that it would cause random tripping if used with a GFCI outlet. It said that if you live somewhere where code requires the outlet to be GFCI, then the evse should be hard-wired instead.

9. The trip rating on the EVSE is higher than the conventional class A GFCI trip rating of 6ma , the EVSE likely is class B GFCI designed to trip at 20 ma, hence the warning. There definitely needs to be additional classifications allowed in the Canadian Electrical Code rule 86-306 and I am sure will be addressed in the upcoming 25th edition ( 2018 - 24th edition 941 pages just isn't enough :rolleyes:), there is a need for it as some owners cannot install a level 2 EVSE (Strata or Condos for example).
    The EVSE included with my Kona Electric does indeed work plugged into a 20 amp "t-slot" class A GFCI - 5-20R with no issues.

10. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I have no issue using the OEM charger with an GFCI outlet. I have seen GFCI outlet tripping when the in0rush current is too high. Change the outlet and see what happens. It is pretty cheap at under $20.

11. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

I have used my OEM EVSE on a 20 Amp GFCI circuit (shared with bathroom lights) for about a year and half without issues before I added 240v dryer outlet in the garage.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I’ve also had no issues with the OEM charge cable being plugged into a GFCI outlet.

If memory serves, the OP is located in an RV park with a 30A service and some questionable wiring at the pedestal. The GFCI outlet in question would be a recent addition.

14. My daughter's 8 year old GFCI outlet tripped when she first brought her Clarity home. I replaced with a new one and it's worked fine for 2+ years since.

15. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

You all were correct - I just replaced the outlet for the same 15a ones from Home Depot (paying attention to line/load wires) - so far no issues.

Btw replaced main 30a breaker on the pole box that feeds my RV for the same 30a one but new one - it stopped tripping as well. Life is good again. Looks like breakers just getting old with age, just like myself.

16. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

Breakers need to be replaced when they are old even if they are working correctly. The contacts inside the breakers do get oxidized and can cause arcing between the contact points that can cause fires. Many panels and houses fires are started that way. That is the reason why some places requires arc-fault breakers.
    @Alex800st glad to hear everything worked out. :D