Fully charged battery gives you ___ mi of range. . . Fill in the blank

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by CodysEv, Aug 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CodysEv

CodysEv New Member

I just charged and got 252 Miles on my Ex premium. I charged last week and got 260.. What’s everybody else getting?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Andrew Le likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I'm just north of Seattle. Temps are in the low 70s F. I got 299 range on a full charge this week. I haven't broken 300 yet...

Andrew Le likes this.
  4. CodysEv

CodysEv New Member

Its 110 in LA. Does that play a factor ?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. I don't recall the specifics, but temperature is a factor. In the winter I get a much lower estimated range with a full charge, usually around 240 miles. I'm sure the hotter Temps affect estimated range, too.

6. StuartE

StuartE New Member

The best I've gotten is 408km (253 miles).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I've seen 260+ and 280.... I don't put much stock in that estimate.... remember it is an estimate, not a guarantee, and it changes with your driving habits, the temp, etc.

9. jeff_h

jeff_h Member

I normally set my limit at 90% for daily use, but had an out-of-town trip last weekend and set it up to 100% and the estimated miles said 329.

Andrew Le likes this.
  10. Hedge

Hedge Member

I've had above 320, after a gentle drive on side streets

11. I only charge past 80% when I have a long trip. Lately at 80% I have been getting 255 miles = 321 at 100% . Earlier it was 240 miles at 80% = 300 miles. Driving style change? Warmer weather? Who knows....

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

301 one time. I almost never charge to full, but will Friday to prep for upcoming road trip. Happy to update . . .

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

CodysEv likes this.
  14. it all depends your driving, road conditions, and battery temperature. Average about 4.15 miles per Kwh, Summer is 4.85, winter is 3.29 That would mean a summer range of 310 miles

15. JasonG

JasonG Member

Living in a hilly area (San Francisco), I get consistently 205 miles at 80% charge so ~256 miles on full charge. Haven't taken a long highway trip yet but hopefully someday...

16. jeff_h

jeff_h Member

That's a good illustration of the efficiency difference between hot and cold weather -- so for those who are new to EVs and have yet to experience a winter with one, when your efficiency tanks when it gets really cold there's nothing wrong with the car (so many have posted the "what happened to my EV range?" posts when winter arrives), that's just how it goes when the weather gets colder.

Andrew Le likes this.
  17. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Update from today's trip:

Started out at 100%, 311 mi on GOM.

Drove primarily on interstate at 70mph limit with SCC (until detour, see below). AC on 75°, outside temp in upper 80s.

Drove 144 miles to EA charger, GOM down to 134 mi, SOC down to 46.5%

Charged with 26 kWh to 79%, GOM up to 231 mi. (Special Kia plan - cost $10.24. Still no bargain . . . )

Drove 90.2 mi home. Arrived with 147 mi on GOM, 52% SOC.

Overall, 230.9 mi, avg efficiency of 4.1 mi/kWh (according to car). (Return trip included slower scenic detour sure to make accident on interstate.)

It was fun on those back roads.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

18. Sounds like you could have almost made it on a single charge. How long did the 26 kWh charge take?

19. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

I didn't time it; EA reported 29:16 mins. Plenty of time for pee break, take a coupla pics, and buy/eat a sandwich/cookie.

20. So roughly 100 miles for 30 minutes?

21. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

97 miles in 29 mins. Started fast at 70+ kW, then ramped down in two steps as I've seen elsewhere. More than I needed that trip. We'll see when my "real" trip happens in October how it all goes.

22. Always helpful to get "real world" results.... how far are you going in October?

23. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

723 miles each way. That will include an overnight on the way, with probably only 110V charging en route and at the final destination. :( Figured I'll charge up at my last DC charger on the way.