Look-down camera in Drive?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Tangible, Aug 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

Yes, of course. I have no idea if the trick also works for Google Maps (or if it even blocks you in the first place) since I prefer the built-in nav over Google's.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

That’s disappointing, as the downward camera is the whole reason I want this. Thanks for checking this. I guess it’s [sigh] back to the tennis ball.

4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Just installed Honda Hack, and verified operation as previously discussed.
    Thanks @Pooky !

Pooky likes this.
  5. MrFixit

@Tangible :
    I am almost certain that the rear camera is a very simple fixed focus, fixed field of view. When you choose the option to "look down", it just clips the image to just show the lower portion. I suggest trying the standard view to see if you can park just as well. I'm pretty sure you see everything in the standard mode that you see in the "look down"... It is just somewhat smaller.

If you find that you can park in the "V" mode too, then this Honda Hack could offer a solution to you.

I also noticed that this rear view with Honda Hack is not as bright as it is when in reverse, but I was doing the comparison when completely in the garage and it was pretty dim to begin with.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  6. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

You are almost correct. It is true that it is a fixed-view camera, however the Honda engineers did some nifty distortion with the down-view setting so that it makes the image look like a downwards view; it's similar to how 360° cameras work on other vehicles.

Try using the brightness adjustment button. I believe that the hacked view has its own separate brightness control.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MrFixit

Ah... makes sense,
    The point remains that the 'standard' view [could] be adequate (maybe not optimal) for Tangible's needs...

Pooky likes this.
  9. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

I agree. It's presenting the same amount of information, it's just more fish-eyed and can be deceptive at close distances. I personally prefer the standard view out of all of the options, so the lack of choice doesn't bother me.

10. MrFixit

One warning about the Honda Hack rear camera mode (I believe there is a bug of some kind).
    I had assigned the HH rear camera to a steering wheel button.

I wanted to compare the two views by displaying the rear camera (using HH), and then toggling between the HH rear view and the normal reverse view (by alternating between Park and Reverse). In short order, this resulted in a black screen that was irrecoverable.

I think there is some contention when you are essentially asking for two instances of the rear camera. I did not try to explore all possible sequences to map the failure further... This may mean that you have to intentionally avoid turning on the HH rear view while in reverse or vice-versa.

I found no way to recover except rebooting the head unit.

11. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

That is odd. I never experienced any such black screen while taking those photos yesterday and I flipped directly between Reversed and the hacked camera view. Thanks for the report. I wonder if I can reproduce it.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. @OP

Get the car situated so it is the right place. Make a mark on the garage wall to your left that lines up with something on the car. Use the mark every time you pull in.

We use tennis balls and when I'm working in the garage I stick them between boxes on shelves to get them out of the way. Then I forget to take them out when I'm done, LOL!

14. MrFixit

Well, here is what fails (pretty consistently) for me.

1. "Start" the car
    2. Once booted, activate the rear camera via Honda Hack (in my case, it is mapped to down arrow on steering wheel).
    3. Shift into reverse (foot on brake for safety). Camera image changes a little.
    Note: Do NOT deactivate the rear view commanded by Honda Hack prior to step 3.
    4. Shift back to Park
    5. Repeat step 3 & 4 a few times if necessary

At this point, the head unit is either frozen or black (I have seen both conditions). There is no way out that I could find. The 'return' button, the home button, any button just seeks to beep 3 times and nothing happens. Occasionally, there is a glimpse of the home screen when you press a button but it is fleeting.

You may need to cycle between "R" and "P" a few times. I think the problem stems from having the HH rear view activated while shifting gears between "P" and "R". If you turn off the HH rear view prior to cycling between "P" and "R", I think it may be OK.

15. gedwin

gedwin Member

I have the same need/issue. There have been a lot of responses regarding a head unit hack, which sounds good if you want to go there. But I just wanted to post my daily, low-tech routine:
    1. Pull in just a bit farther to know I’m clear of the garage door. (Obviously, this requires you have enough space up front to do this, but you needn’t overshoot by much)
    2. Go into reverse and use the yellow lines to identify a stopping point (either a crack, which I use, or maybe a piece of tape or other mark) while creeping backward.
    3. I usually double check clearance visually before closing the automatic garage door.

I wish this were simpler, but I find this a pretty manageable routine and after a week it is quite repeatable. I normally have just an inch or two of clearance between the back bumper and the door when closed, this maximizing the space in front of the car. No back and forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

MrFixit likes this.
  16. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

17. Hi.Ho.Silver

Hi.Ho.Silver Active Member