Torque Pro - Charting - is this chart too busy?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Aug 9, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I'm playing around with Torque Pro and Excel and I'm trying to figure out the best way to display the critical data during a charging session..
    I tried charting battery max/min temp, inlet temp, SoC Display and Charge Power.
    I'm not sure if this chart is too busy that way?? What would be more helpful? SoC or Charge Power or does it look understandable with both values in the same chart??
    This was a chart on a 50kw charger today from 25% to 82%

charging-aug9.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I've always prefered SoC (displayed) on the X-axis so power transitions can be read directly. That gets rid of one line. Using time on the X-axis is kind of arbitrary because every example is different, what with variations in temperature and secondary loads such as air conditioning.
    For battery temp I would use one data value only depending on the ambient conditions, e.g in hot weather use the max value only, use the min for cold.

4. FloridaSun

Thanks for the input.. I will play around a bit with the data..

5. FloridaSun

Here's the updated chart with SoC as the X-axis and removing min temperature

soc-x-axis.jpg

KiwiME likes this.
  6. The slight drop in inlet temp at about 25% is presumably the passive cooling starting up, i.e. the radiator. Once that was shown to be ineffective the heat pump has kicked in. Would be great to add a charging curve from a 100kW+ DCFC.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

i'll record it on a 150kw charger on my next road trip.. One thing that I noticed that Battery Max temperature often shows higher than any of the 4 modules. Screenshot_20200809-204058_Torque.jpg

9. Perhaps it would be more useful to average the four pack temps into a new column and plot that instead? I'm unaware if there is any different context or timing around those min/max values.
    As a note, on your cell voltages it seems the resolution is only 0.02 V so you can reduce the decimal places to 2.

10. FloridaSun

I think that it is interesting to know all the modules temperature as a big difference may indicate an issue.. I'm not sure why min/max temperatures are sometimes not in sync with the actual temperatures of module 1 to 4.. Struck me as weird. I know now that voltages only have 2 decimal places but it would be too much work to update all 98 cells.. I do have a second screen with the first 96 cells and changing all of them to 2 decimal places is too much work.. I don't think that there is a mass update function..