Modifications and Tweaks

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Mar 10, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I am kind of "old school" when it applies to these things, but a great suggestion if no fine tipped 40 Watt soldering iron is handy.

Fastnf likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Congrats! You must be the first in the world to do this mod. You've raised a thought though, you could withdraw the socket from the plug and find a short piece of solid wire to make a pin that fits the socket size and solder to that wire instead, adding shrink tube or tape over the whole thing. That way (assuming you didn't drill a hole for the pushbutton) you could revert the mod back to stock if needed.
    It's such a convenience to be able to switch VESS on the fly I almost wish the button was on the steering wheel.

4. Not sure why all you guys are so obsessive about this VESS. I barely hear mine. Just today actually, was backing out of a parking space, and when I put it into reverse and looked back, I saw a guy walking behind and suddenly stop, and then smile at me as I backed out. He obviously appreciated it. My windows are almost always closed, though, with summer heat and A/C, and too cold in the winter.

Mike Bearsails, Kirk and OzKona like this.
  5. I thought of that, and I do have a pin remover (and crimper) for those DB25 connectors which probably would have fit.
    Being the first I was playing it safe and I do look forward to others modifying the procedure to make it better and easier.
    More than likely the wire could even be cut off close to the connector and just spliced through to the VESS box as it probably doesn't wind up on a trace on the button circuit board. I was going to ask Hobbit that very question when he did this:
    http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/ev/tearing.html
    but I was too late.:(

navguy12 and KiwiME like this.
  6. What I might be interested in is some different sound options that could be loaded into your HU for the VESS. I liked the locomotive sound that one guy had rigged up. Should be good for a few laughs in a parking lot...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. That is the point of the mod. When it is safe, it is nice to listen for any sounds you may need to hear without the VESS attempting to mask it and my intent is it should only be used for this purpose.
    There have been times when I sure wished I had the sound after pulling the plug on the front of the car, as more than a few have posted here that is what was done - this a meant to be a better alternative.

mho, Toolworker and Esprit1st like this.
  9. Unfortunately the evidence indicates that the sound is generated wholly within the VESS speaker unit. The VESS receives vehicle speed info over CAN and generates the programmed sound, perhaps like a MIDI. You would need to design and fabricate the entire assembly, including a weather-resistant speaker that can cover the audio range required by the noise you choose. For an ICE sound like a V8 rumble a marine-type subwoofer might do the trick, if it will fit.

10. If one wants to keep things neat, could the ground wire be run back to the black wire on the connector to the switch assembly? That would make more sense if using tap connectors; soldering another wire would be tedious.

electriceddy likes this.
  11. Certainly ..., the idea of using a chassis ground was just to avoid disturbing a second wire.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

For the VESS, I am sure you could find the official switch online somewhere and install it where it normally would go in the European models.

14. It's a single part with specific switches to suit the version and market rather than an assembly where the individual components can be changed. You would have to match what you have now and just add the VESS. No one has cracked that puzzle so far and I doubt anyone ever will. The EU versions have a headlight level adjuster and some (like mine) do not have the HUD, nevermind that my car is RHD and so it curves as you see in the photo. It's so much easier to just add a simple button somewhere else.

IMG_2524.jpeg

15. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    ehatch likes this.
  16. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Recently , with COVID19 jail easing. I heard a newer Model 3 with VESS.It's so much more subtle,less annoying than the Kona electric's.I find ours creepy,too loud.
    @Anaglypta ,the auto tilt mirrors when reversing,lane follow assist,plus VESS on/off switch that's exactly what North America should have also been given!

17. Lane follow assist? I do have that.

18. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

That's what I was thinking

19. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

LFA centers the car automatically. LKA doesn't,it will wobble.North America Kona electric doesn't have it,does your U.S.spec.show LFA?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    electriceddy likes this.
  20. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Mine doesn't wobble, it does seem to prefer the left side of the lake, but I think that is due to how our freeway is constructed

21. Mine doesn't wobble. It's named differently "active lane keep assist" I believe. It centers the car perfectly in the lane and follows it perfectly. I use it all the time.

22. The setting for LFA - as it is called Europe etc, is on the dash cluster menu... User settings/ Driver assistance/ Lane safety / Active LKA (Lane keep assist).
    Regular LKA (c/w wobble) is right below it and you may choose one or the other.
    You may also disconnect the Lane keep assist (whichever function) by pushing a button on the switch pad as shown above.

Kirk likes this.
  23. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Lane keep assist doesn't wobble here.