InsideEVs Podcast episodes

Discussion in 'General' started by Domenick, Apr 25, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I don't think they have NASCAR -- where they were planning on doing some demos -- in Canada but hopefully, they'll find other types of events to attend. There definitely should be more video.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Episode 17.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Kyle in the podcast was much better than his YouTube video review (that should be deleted.) Seriously, the Polestar 2 reviews have serious problems not related to production values. Do you need a list?

Bob Wilson

5. I've found the Polestar 2 reviews to be generally good. Some like it more than Model 3, some less. It's a different approach to the mid-size electric sedan, though, and may attract buyers not inclined to drive a Tesla (for whatever reason).

So, what are the problems you see with Polestar 2 reviews?

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. bwilson4web

For now, let's ignore cases of a poor production ... sh*t happens. Caution, poor production wears off on the product. My problem is:
    • Different class cars - a Model 3 is a sedan, the Polestar 2 is significantly larger. How about comparing cars with the same curb weight in either kg or lbs.
    • Cognitive style - some people want familiar knobs and displays. Others are minimalists who appreciate that less is more. You can't resolve these (aka. blood feud) differences in a review. But only appeal to those who share that reviewer's opinion.
    • Metrics - I'm biased to EPA numbers and processes. I know the Europeans and others are trying to establish a reproducible methodology and metrics. If a reviewer is going to cite their numbers compared to all Teslas, GOOD. But too often I'm left wondering as they don't identify when each car was tested.
    Bob Wilson

Domenick likes this.
  8. bwilson4web

• CEO credibility - you are on to something here. The Lucid CEO Youtube presentations have a lot of credibility. Not being a pickup customer, I've not paid attention to Rivian. Ford also appears to be serious but they were that way when only Prius and Ford hybrids were 'real.' I'm also fond of Elon because he speaks engineering and has a sense of humor I can appreciate.
    • Max range vs efficiency - I own a Std Rng Plus Model 3 and appreciate the weight/range/fast_DC tradeoffs. Your team made references to various aspects and how they combine. We're all still 'feeling out' what needs to be the right metric. Still Lucid has the option of going 'down market' efficiently which resembles the Tesla approach.
    • Not a fan of subcontracting - I appreciate that many companies want to out source to the max. However, the Hyundai/Nikola issue suggests this may not be a reliable approach. My understanding is the first Model S releases were delayed by poor seat deliveries. IMHO, there is probably a subtle analysis of the risks and costs of subcontracting versus vertical manufacturing. Given what COVID 19 did to the Detroit subcontractors, there are a lot of details missing.
    Bob Wilson

Domenick likes this.
  9. Thanks for taking the time to give us this feedback, Bob. And for listening!

10. To remove this ad click here.

11. Tom has a valid point concerning the competitive fairness of the tax credit and I tend to agree. Why not make it available to all with a time limit factored in.
    Also a good idea on the Ionic sub forum.

mho and Domenick like this.
  12. bwilson4web

• Kandi - a compliance EV that is 10 years too late. They are after the Tesla EV credits. Of course, they could replace Hertz at airports in a dispenser like a Carvana: buy it; drive it, and; trade it back in.
    • Federal Tax Credit - needs to die or a fixed 'startup' much smaller.
    • Lucid - looks to be solid engineering. Let's see the EPA metrics. This is where Kyle might consider a Lucid side-trip.
    • self-powered trailers - an idea whose time has come.
    • 3 month, paid software trial - makes sense to determine if it is worth while. It needs to be long enough to reveal both good and bad features.
    • NIO battery rental - a solution looking for a problem. It didn't work in Israel either nor in California. Combine them with hydrogen fuel stations ... all of the discomfort of a traditional ICE having to go to a fuel/battery station and 'Slim Jim' snacks.
    Bob Wilson

Domenick likes this.
  13. bwilson4web

I appreciate the challenge of trying to find content. But I've gotten tired of seeing 'press releases' reviews or press cars.

Please consider splitting the review into two sections: (1) real, and; (2) press releases.

Bob Wilson

cmwade77 and Domenick like this.
  14. bwilson4web

At minutes 43:00, someone claims the 400 V chargers are limited to 50 kW. I can not test this with my BMW i3-REx but I am seeing posting by some of the Kona fans that they see more than 50 kW. Perhaps an update or correction?

Overall, the fast DC charging discussion is well worth it. I'd like to suggest using the public, charging rates for Electrify America, EVgo, and SuperCharger to map the cost per mile of each at a vehicle limited speed rate. The non-linear curves of our Tesla takes better graphs but so many of the non-Teslas are going for flat charging rates below 80%. They face a cost per mile challenge (eh Tom?)

Bob Wilson

15. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

In my Kona, I can and have charged at up to 77kw on Electrify America's quick chargers.

16. Ok, talked with Kyle about this. He's saying the chargers that put out more than 50 kW are higher voltage.
    Notes from our conversation:

The Kona and iPace can charge at more than 50kW, however those chargers that can push more current (amps) to them to get to those numbers *typically* are capable of up to 800-1000 volts.

But the current is usually the limiting factor for the car and charger at any given voltage. They really don’t care what the voltage is the amps are what taxes the unit.

And so, somewhere in the world there must be a 400v capped charger that can can do more than 125amp to justify this extra option that Porsche charges for. I just have never seen one in the U.S.

bwilson4web likes this.
  17. bwilson4web

That works for me. Perhaps @BlueKonaEV might have found one?

I've used the EA chargers at Manchester TN and a couple of EVgo in Nashville with my 50 kW limited BMW i3-REx. I typically see three 150 kW units and one 350 kW unit along with a CHAdeMO hose. In the EU, there are EVSEs that can put more than 100 kW into a Tesla with the CCS-2 style port. But that is Europe, not the USA.

Sad to say, I've long suspected the 150 kW listing on EA stations was ... curious. I am no longer curious, they are 50 kW at the 150 kW labeled ones as you' all have reported.

Actually, I agree that if the EVSE is limited to a maximum current, 125 A, at 400 VDC, 50 kW. But if the voltage can float to 1,200 VDC, you can get 150 kW from one of those stations. So which cars have the power electronics to step up to 1,200 V?

Just suggesting we need accurate information, not just 'one point' specs from the vendors. You' all can help separate the 'marketing' from the reality owners who paid the bill must face on the road.

FYI, I'm posting at least to give feedback that someone enjoyed the YouTube/podcast. However, a retired engineer, I am quite willing to share my critical thoughts as an offline conversation with the team. A retired engineer, I'm in the business of making sure basic physics and electronics remain as I remember them. <GRINS> Of course a public discussion has an educational advantage.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Domenick likes this.
  18. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

The only chargers around here that are over 50kw are Electrify America.. I know of Chargepoint 62 kw chargers but I'm not sure if they actually charge over 50kw??
    The description of the charger says 62.5 kw maximum but I have not seen anybody who checked in that actually charged anywhere close to that..

https://www.plugshare.com/location/186663

The charger in question is rated 62.5kw and is 400 Volt architecture..
    https://www.evchargesolutions.com/ChargePoint-CPE-250-DCFC-p/cpe250.htm

Domenick and bwilson4web like this.