Looking to buy a Used EV - Opinions requested!

Discussion in 'General' started by Mattsburgh, May 22, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

Which Used EV (or EVs) do you think is/are the best?

Poll closed Jun 21, 2020.
  1. Chevy Spark EV

71.4%
  2. Ford Focus Electric

14.3%
  3. Kia Soul EV

42.9%
  4. Nissan Leaf

28.6%
  5. Volkswagen e-Golf

57.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Congrats on the new to you ride, Mattsburgh. I never really had an thoughts on the Spark EV until Rich Rebuilds episode of the pizza warmer Spark EV rebuild. I started watching some videos and did some reading and it seems like a really nice EV, especially for it's time. Enjoy!

Mattsburgh likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. That's funny, I just watched that pizza warmer rebuild last night!

4. So.... time to fess up. After a month or so with Sparky I gave up the fight and accepted that I'd made a mistake. I just couldn't get around the smallness and cramped feeling in the driver's seat.

Even though there is a lot to like about the Chevy Spark, ultimately I couldn't get over the one big negative for me and thus, I sucked it up and admitted that it was not the right choice for my 2nd car. I am taking it to Carvana tomorrow and getting a Kia Soul EV instead. I guess I should have stuck with my instinct.

Domenick likes this.
  5. How big are you, weight and height?

6. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Back when I was shopping for my prior car (which ended up being a Honda CR-Z hybrid) I looked at the gas-powered Spark and was not impressed. Sorry you had an unfortunate experience and need to replace the car you just got, but I can't say I'm shocked. I've never been in a Soul but I've never heard a bad word about them.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Definitely a Kia Soul EV for what you are looking for. For larger people, the Leaf can even be kind of small.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  9. Yeah, there's no one-size-fits-all EV (and if there was, it wouldn't be the tiny Spark).

Let us know how the Soul EV buying thing goes for you. We don't really have other owners here posting about this car, so it would be great to see yours. The only thing that bothers me about the 1st-gen Soul EV is the no-liquid cooling of the battery, but you up in Pennsylvania, so probably not an issue.

10. I did test drive a Leaf too, I liked it and it would have worked I think - I'm right at 6' tall. For me it's mostly leg room, does the front seat go back far enough, and is there some thigh support. Those three very similar things add up to whether or not I find the driving position comfortable. But yeah, the Soul is I think I a home run so far from what I've seen since I picked it up yesterday morning. Honestly it even has a few features my Kona doesn't.

electriceddy likes this.
  11. Thanks. Like I said there are definitely some pluses about the Spark, and I definitely get why a lot of people like it. But ultimately I just had to accept I made a mistake. So far the Soul EV is really nice, very good driving position, comfy, very easy to get in and out of. I was targeting a 2017 but a 2018 showed up with only 11k miles and I snapped it up. As a bonus I knew the battery was slightly bigger starting in 2018 (30 kWh vs. 27). I'll have to see after a few days but first full charge GOM came to 116 miles. Kind of funny, my last full charge on the Kona was exactly 316 miles. I guess it's obviously which car will be mostly for tooling around town and which will be mostly for longer trips.

Oh, as a bonus I got to use a Chademo charger for the first time yesterday. :D
    Here are a couple pics:

Attached Files:

Domenick likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. More storage in the rear for sure .

Mattsburgh likes this.
  14. I have seen a Spark EV in person (at a charging station), and didn't look that small inside to me. But I did not sit in it. I have been recommending it to friends, if they can find one at a decent price. I thought it would make a good cheap 2nd car for around town. However, I may have to refrain from doing that if it is really that small. 6 feet tall is not that big.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  15. I don't mean to scare people off but yeah maybe at least suggest to them to be careful by maybe test driving one first (or a gas version if that's easier) - OR, buy from Carvana since they can return it within 7 days no questions asked. If I had bought the Spark from Carvana, I would have returned it within that first week and then waited until they had a Soul EV I liked. I didn't drive one first and I know that's kind of crazy but there simply weren't any around. Given that, if I was smart, you'd think I would have at least gone with Carvana so I could return it, but, alas, I wasn't even smart enough to do that. :rolleyes:

16. I'm 6'2" and have plenty of room for me. However, if I'm bringing my guitar with me, which I do a lot, I have to have the back sets folded down. Luckily, there's a max of two of us in the car and don't need more space. I have an old pickup for big moving jobs.

I ended up buying my Spark EV without a test drive. It's just one of those things, I guess, at this stage of the game.

Anyway, congrats on the Soul EV. It's very...white! :) Good summertime color. I look forward to reading more about your impressions over time. I see you already started a thread, which is awesome.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  17. Yeah my ideal color was the Titanium Gray, but Blue, White or Silver would have been ok too. Normally blue would be my top choice but my Kona is blue so wanted something different. The white has quickly grown on me, I really like it. I even got a "nice car" from a couple guys tonight while I was leaving a parking lot.

18. Guess being all-white makes it pop a bit more than the usual Soul people might see.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  19. I can't believe how many ICE Souls I see around here. Sometimes it feels like 1 in 10 cars I see are Souls, even though it's probably really more like 1 in 75 or 1 in 100. Either way, it's a lot. Kia has sold a ton of these in my area. I have yet to see another electric one though :D

Domenick likes this.