High Pitched Noise

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Alejo, Jul 29, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hi,

There is a high pitched noise is my car. As you can see in the picture there is a high frequency peak that is really annoying.

I tried to find if it was related a system or the heat pump, breaking, etc without any luck.

Any one else having similar issues?

When I went for the last BMS update, I told them about it and they just said they couldn't hear anything.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance

Screenshot_20200611-182323_Spectroid.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

First audio sampling I've seen in a question. Very cool. There are two high pitched sounds I have heard about in the Kona EV. First is of course the normal acceleration sound of the electric motor. Second is the reduction gear failure. I can't say if this is what your hearing but this question has been answered on the Facebook group and may have a forum answer here. There is a audio recording on the Facebook group that demonstrates the sound when the gear box is failing. They since had a complete failure and the dealer replaced it under warrantee. To diagnose a sound we could use some more details like , only when accelerating, or decelerating, or slow speed, fast speed with windows down or up. Is it all the time or just occasionally?

navguy12 and Domenick like this.
  4. Can you add a link to the recording you reference. I realize one may need to be a member of that group to access it (I probably am). We may also have similar recordings on the Forum. The gearbox issue threads are pretty long, though.

5. I will run the sound analyser today and I will test more conditions.

When I tested last time the noise was there when accelerating and braking all the time under 50kph.

Domenick likes this.
  6. My car is a year and a half old at 28Kkm. I've never been overly bothered by noise thus far. I have occasional "hockey card in the spokes" sounds at very low speeds. Very recently I've noticed a very high pitched sound accompanying regen and when "coasting", that is when I apply no accelerator foot-pressure and when the car is not applying any on cruise control. It's dead quiet with zero regen. I'm keeping an ear on it. Any ideas what it could be? I know others have had high pitched noises that drove them crazy but until now I hadn't experienced it. All of the recent motor and drive train replacements seem to be motivated by a clunking or knocking sound not the high pitched one.

navguy12, Domenick and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Hate to tell you but there is a long and extensive thread on this exact noise:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/high-pitched-motor-noise.5510/
    so far there has been no reports of a definite fix :(

navguy12 likes this.
  9. Yes, thanks. I knew about this thread. It was the first "noise" thread. But it evolved from the high pitched thread to the rumbly drivetrain thread. All the motor and drive train swapping tales revolve around eliminating those sounds while the source and solution for the high whine got lost, well, in the noise.

navguy12 and Domenick like this.
  10. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

If you have any signs of "card in bicycle spokes" tapping noise then you probably have a defective motor. Symptoms of a defective motor will vary depending on temperature, speed, regen, etc. but it could very well sound like what you're describing. Might as well fix it and see what noise issues remain. On my eNiro it evolved from occasional low speed tapping, then buzzing, then bad muffler type purring. It won't get any better so best get it looked at before the issue spreads to other components like gearbox.

11. Secret is to have it make the tapping sound on a somewhat consistent basis so the dealer can distinctly hear it.
    As you mentioned and as proven earlier in various posts happens intermittently more so when he temperature is cooler, so based on that fact I suspect more of us will be in for their 701 motor replacement (beginning with the 180 degree rotation failed attempt first as documented by Hyundai repair procedure) in the fall. I have an open case at my dealership and will utilize that when the time arrives but for now all is quiet and therefore any attempt at repair would be questionable as to the results:(

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I wonder if they're even doing the 180 degree rotation any more. When I went in with the issue, they just went straight to replacing the motor without wasting any time. Could be an indication that Hyundai have done enough of these now that they are confident a motor replacement is the only viable solution.

navguy12 likes this.
  14. I will second that. My Kona went through the same experience as your eNiro (occasional low speed tapping, then buzzing, then bad muffler type purring).

wizziwig likes this.
  15. Here in Canada Hyundai technical assistance is still suggesting the shaft rotation, motor swap and and finally gearbox swap in that order.

navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  16. The 180 degree rotation was listed on my invoice when I got it back after my traction motor replacement. But I doubt they actually did it. It was all done in one day, maybe they did it in the shop and then proceeded with the motor replacement. For sure, the new motor was ordered before they did that step.

17. Yes that that seems kind of fruitless at this point.:rolleyes:

18. We've got two noise threads on the go here. Are the people in this forum getting motor replacement for the "clunk" or the "high pitched noises."?

electriceddy likes this.
  19. Someone should change the thread title from clunking to clicking.

electriceddy likes this.
  20. Sorry about that, good point. I keep getting that mixed up myself.
    FWIW I think the motor replacements were for the tapping noise (or clicking @RP), which is as you mentioned a different thread (or 2):rolleyes:

21. I'm not certain anyone's received a fix for the high-pitched noise.

22. I thought the new motor fixed that also.

23. I don't think we have enough follow-up feedback to establish that. You would think a new motor would at least change the noise if not reduce it. Perhaps a poll would help?