Had Enough of CMBS (Collision Mitigation Braking System)

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David Towle, Jul 29, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. You're welcome. Initially I was looking for the fuse that controlled it to see if it was the only thing on a fuse, but could not figure it out.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Deceleration. He's complaining about the regen coming on too hard. It is confusing to me because as soon as you set cruise regen is shut off. The car will not allow both to be used.

And the slowness to close the gap is why I use Sport. It makes quite a difference.

4. Weird. I have not experienced the flooring of the throttle. The regen can be a bit harsh, but again "slam" is not my experience.

I wonder if there is a setting somewhere to flatten the response some.

5. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

All right I exaggerated a bit.:) But it does go up to 70 or 80% on the power gauge.

6. David Towle

The responses are flattened the maximum amount by using the Eco setting. The car definitely uses regen whenever a downhill brings it to more than 2 mph over the set speed, or when a car pulls in front of you. You may assume its braking but look at the power gauge next time someone pulls in front of you it dips fast and deep into regen. Even though there are no chevrons.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

In my experience the POWER/CHARGE Gauge dips deeper into regen when I press the brake pedal than when I pull the paddle 3 times to select 4 chevrons.

9. David Towle

I agree. Whether you are pressing the brake pedal alone or doing it on top of the 4 chevrons.

10. I have never used Eco setting and probably never will.

11. The paddles/chevrons are not capable of providing maximum regenerative braking force. The brake pedal is capable of providing maximum regenerative braking force.

To be clear, the paddles and brake pedal only send signals. The paddles send signals that call for, what I believe are, set levels of regenerative braking only. The brake pedal sends signals that call for a combination of regenerative and friction braking.

While I haven’t scrutinized the fluctuations of the green needle as thoroughly as others, I would suggest that regenerative braking force with 4 chevrons selected, could be greater than the regenerative force created from a very light brake pedal application.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Jimmy Vo

Jimmy Vo Member

Hi, newbie of the Clarity here. Quick question, how do you know the "cmbs" is on? The default setting has it on, right? But how to double-check to make sure?

14. Press the CMBS button until “CMBS Off” is displayed, then press the button again until until “CMBS On” is displayed.

insightman likes this.
  15. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

I've not had the car quite a year yet - that happens in 12 days - and have only 12K miles on it but have NEVER experienced a "neck snapping" change - ACC uses radar to maintain speed and distance from whatever vehicle you're following and only slows below the set speed when that vehicle slows down. When running on a clear road mine has no difficulty maintaining the set speed, never dropping more than 1 mph when climbing a rise. ACC is designed to be much MORE efficient than standard CC because it's easy on the throttle - unless you've got the follow distance set at the minimum, in which case the Clarity won't react to a vehicle ahead until it's quite close.

16. David Towle

I've had the car 34000 miles and have wrestled with this from the beginning. Others like you say they don't have this problem, my guess is that you and others don't have much in the way of hills. And maybe you don't have much in the way of cars pulling in 2 or 3 car lengths ahead of you. I'm moving to Florida this winter so I'll get rid of the hill problem then but I think the problem of cars pulling in front will be worse there, we'll see. And the ACC is not the big deal that the CMBS is, just turn it off, on the highway the car does pretty nice one pedal driving in Sport with maximum regen and no cruise. I can drive way smoother than the ACC.

17. Followed a car from 55mph to a 20mph roundabout and through it on ACC today. I won't lie. I had my foot over the brake pedal just in case, but didn't need it. The car handled it beautifully.

David Towle likes this.
  18. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

As flexi
    i turned off adaptive cruise control for same reason. Got tired of it braking 100 plus feet from other vehicles.

David Towle likes this.
  19. David Towle

Don't worry I believe you! In fact my car will do that fine too in Sport. The ACC problem is some situations like this you need to be in Sport for best reactions, and others you need to be in Eco (like cars pulling in front of you) otherwise it regen/brakes too suddenly and unnecessarily. But since its easy to turn ACC on and off and modify set speeds as appropriate that's what I do when my throttle foot needs a break.

20. Johnhaydev

Johnhaydev Active Member

David Towle likes this.
  21. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

You do realize that you can set the sensitivity of the "car length" response, don't you?

22. David Towle

An earlier reply reminded me to do that, it cut the number of bogus BRAKE warnings by about 30%, so they still happen regularly.

23. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

Like others here I think this is one of those, it depends on conditions. I happen to live in a place where CMBS is reliable, and the adaptive cruise control works well. I've driven on long trips and had each the experiences described. The curvy country road where it "miss fires" either with an alarming steering wheel vibration and "BRAKE" displayed and I've driven through Phoenix where the highway traffic is hell (and I don't even bother with adaptive cruise control).

I live on a really steep hill and my EV range (estimated) is always low relative to others. Anyway, I still totally love the car. I do wish Honda had permitted many (maybe all) modes to remember their setting. To me it would be great to get in the car and just have ALL of the settings stay the same (of course maybe not the seat position if you have Touring). But yeah, the one for me is I sometimes want to select HV and leave it there. Too easy to forget to press the button...

And oddly, one I don't typically care about (the econ mode) does stay "sticky" if you set it, or unset it. For me, the *one* would be HV or no-HV, but as mentioned it would be great if one could turn off CMBS and leave it.