Had Enough of CMBS (Collision Mitigation Braking System)

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David Towle, Jul 29, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

The automatic braking system on this car is driving me nuts lately. Where I used to live it was only occasionally an issue, now with much more crowded and curvy 2 lane roads the stupid BRAKE warning is coming on half a dozen times per day and shaking the steering wheel. It scares my wife so she won't drive the car anymore. Yes I know it can be turned off but its yet another item I have to turn off every time I get in the car and that's as bad as putting up with the bogus warnings. It was realigned before I moved after a windshield replacement, but that had no effect on the occasional false alarms I was having then, and I don't believe its a factor now.

I just wish they wouldn't install all this Honda sensing crap before its ready for the real world. None of it works the way it should, including the automatic cruise control and the lane departure system (its off in the other direction, it only recognizes about half of lane departures so it doesn't actually interfere with driving). Its the only major fault of the car.

228ra likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

We are with you. It's my wife's only complaint about the car.

228ra and David Towle like this.
  4. Yep. One more button to push before pressing D. But it’s worth the effort.

Maybe a fuse could be removed or a wire disconnected?

David Towle likes this.
  5. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Interesting. Mine works well. Wife and I have no complaints, and very few false alarms.

Sloanhoo and David Towle like this.
  6. David Towle

You probably have different conditions. Never had a false BRAKE alarm on a divided highway or a straight road or an empty road.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I concur that it is a nuisance on curvy 2 lane roads.

Francofun and David Towle like this.
  9. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I've only seen the 'BRAKE' go off a few times in the 18 months I've owned my Clarity. But then I live in a mostly flat grid-pattern street area. Curvy roads are almost non-existent.

10. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

I have had a few false alarms but not enough to make me turn it off. The brake warning from oncoming cars around curves doesn't bother me as I can just ignore it.

But sometimes cars in front of me slowing to turn off the road (where I feel comfortable with my distance and pace) has led to the car slamming on brakes in a panic stop which is a little unnerving.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Francofun likes this.
  11. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

I had the same number of false alarms in my 2015 Acura TLX asd I do in my 2018 Clarity. Point is it is not an experimental trial with the Clarity and has been around for a while.

Sloanhoo likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Francofun

Francofun Member

As my kids are learning to drive, I actually do not mind a few false alarms and not-so-expected behaviour of the driver assistance systems. It reinforces the message that, as of now, they need to pay full attention to driving when behind the wheel.
    That being said, I still wish the systems were more refined :)

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Sloanhoo likes this.
  14. What sensitivity is yours set to?

Attached Files:

turtleturtle and JFon101231 like this.
  15. David Towle

I had found the adjustment for the lane departure system and adjusted it to minimize but I had not found this. Thank you I will check tomorrow if I can figure out how to get to it.

16. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Mine works like a charm. I've only ever had one false brake event: On an interstate highway that has a rather tight left turn I was in the left lane and there was an 18-wheeler in the right lane, slightly ahead of me. As it rounded the turn the Clarity "saw" it as suddenly appearing in front of me and slammed on the brakes. The only time my lane keeping and lane departure don't work is when the camera can't see the painted lines on the road surface - and there's precious little road maintenance in my state so that's a common problem. I have nothing but praise, however, for the adaptive (not "automatic") cruise control: It does exactly what it's designed to do and does it well - equal or better than similar systems in other manufacturer's vehicles that I've driven. I'm sorry that some find these assistive safety systems annoying - I know a Tesla owner who's constantly furious at Autopilot - but they are here to stay and, as drivers age, will become more and more important.

Sloanhoo likes this.
  17. I have found that driving in Sport while use cruise gives better reaction/acceleration when it is required.

18. David Towle

Actually I find the ACC to be the worst of the systems, but its easy to turn off. I can't stand the neck snapping changes from full throttle to full regen all in the space of a few seconds. Its also hard on the car and not fuel efficient. My previous car, a BMW 3 series could hold a steady speed within 1 mph no problem, why does this have to be so antiquated to drop off by 4 mph then have to go to full throttle to try and catch up? (Even on standard cruise). Simply awful. And as I said previously everything else about the Clarity is so good!

19. David Towle

It works better in regular cruise or when no other cars around but worse in ACC. If a car pulls in front of you in ACC it slams on the regen that much faster, or if someone gets out of the way it floors the throttle. Not how I like to drive.

What I have found to be the best solution, when I want to bother with it, is to use ACC in Economy mode, that way it doesn't react to cars around me too severely. Then when I see a hill coming up I advance the speed by 1 or 2 mph so the speed doesn't fall behind, then go back to the desired cruise speed when partway up the hill.

20. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Might as well just abandon the ACC and just use the throttle like the days before cruise control !

21. David Towle

It was set to normal and I switched it to short. I still got warnings but not as many. thanks!

Tek_Freek likes this.
  22. David Towle

I have to use cruise some of the time as I'm old and my throttle foot cramps up after a few hours of driving. And its not bad for alertness to be ramping the cruise speed up and down on hills. Its all livable, just not as good as it could be.

23. How did you manage to come by a Clarity that has neck snapping acceleration?

ACC is the only feature I use, other than auto headlights. Only on the open road on the closest or second closest following setting, in Econ. The only complaint is, it is a bit slow to close the gap. It is a Clarity, and mine came without neck snapping acceleration.

Sandroad and Francofun like this.