Taken the i3 plunge.

Discussion in 'i3' started by T.C., Jul 21, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. T.C.

T.C. Member

Well having tried the Mini. I couldn't gain a truly comfortable driving/seating position. I've taken the plunge and purchased the BMW i3S. I'm finding it comfortable, albeit with greater body roll in bends due to the higher passenger compartment. The seats suit my build and I am impressed with the performance.
    The only negative I've encountered in this first week of ownership is the amount of dust attracted by the static of the carbon fibre bodywork.
    The earlier thread about the i3 seat covers has really whet my appetite for a little visual customisation of the vehicles somewhat bland seating. The prices on their website are a little high, but I accept they are a hand produced quality product and need to be financially viable for the manufacturer. It's the postal charges that are the real kick for UK buyers. £93 postage is a very big thump in the wallet.
    [​IMG]

Falcon73 and FloridaSun like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

This is an unintended consequence I've never heard of before. When you are parked does the dust evenly coat the body or collect mostly on the top surfaces? Does the dust blow off the body when you drive or is it tenacious?

I wonder what kind of bizarre radioactive device you could install to neutralize the ionized dust? Or could you drag a trailing ground wire or chain to neutralize the charge on the body? Or could you...I'll stop now.

Is your i3S quieter inside than the MINI Cooper SE you tested?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  4. T.C.

T.C. Member

In response to your questions.
    As the dust particles don't appear to build up thicker and thicker, I can only assume they do blow off the vehicle when moving, but then gain new dust particles as soon as the vehicle is parked. A wipe with a fluffy duster removes them instantly. They are soon attracted again though.
    Is the i3 quieter than the battery powered Mini? Without driving them back to back, I couldn't offer an answer, other than they are both a very quiet driving experience.
    My little bulbous shopping trolley did however surprise a Porche driver yesterday as I accelerated along the slip road to join a major road. I saw him give the little i3S a damn good looking at as he overtook on a multilane section a little later.
    I suppose the nature of the road network where I live and work, combined with my driving style, must suit the i3S, because the depicted anticipated range keeps rising a little further each subsequent day following an overnight charge.
    First day it was 172 miles. Each day that estimated range has increased slightly and now reads 182.

insightman likes this.
  5. T.C.

T.C. Member

Ok. Two weeks of ownership and a little evaluation of the vehicles statistics.
    Battery capacity is 42.2 with a customer useable 37.9kwh.
    My depicted usage is 5.2m/kwh. Multiplied by the useable 37.9kwh, equates to a max range of 197 miles.
    Probably 30-40 miles greater than I was expecting.
    I suppose those figures are quite flattering because current temperatures here do not require vehicle heating or air con to be required.

Falcon73 likes this.