Service for Kona

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Ev050, Feb 24, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Janusz the filter # you quoted is a Fram engine filter for a Kona ICE vehicle, it clearly won't work as a cabin filter. Fram does not have a cabin filter listed for a Kona EV. They have a cabin filter for the ICE version CF12160 but be aware it will not fit. FYI, the correctly sized Elantra cabin filter is available on Rock Auto for $5.77. The number for the Fram equivalent is CF12058, unfortunately it is not available on the Walmart site.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    navguy12 likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I will double check I did replaced in 2020 EV kona from auto zone I will be posting new number!

4. I see auto zone lists a STP cabin air filter for the EV CAF15033C fir $19.99, is that the one ?

5. Just be careful with the Amazon and Ebay listings that claim that they fit the EV often they are generic ads and the seller assumes if they fit the ICE Kona they fit the EV. In the posted link even though it says in the title its for Kona EV if you look in the description for fitment lower on the page it says it fits the 1.6 and 2 liter Konas so it likely does not fit the EV. The ICE filters are almost 2 inches longer .

navguy12 likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I have never had a single problem buying auto parts from Amazon, so long as I use the filter at the top of the screen for the parts.

8. It was time to put my winter tires on today and I decided I was going to do my service #2 myself which also included changing my $5 cabin filter and inspecting the brakes and re-lubing the brake caliper bolts. As expected at 17,000km and 11 months the brakes and slide bolts looked pretty much perfect. There was virtually no pad wear on both sets. I am honestly not sure why Hyundai specifies a brake service at year 2. If your going to do this just be careful with the electronic rear parking brakes, unless you have a bidirectional scan tool that can put the car in brake service mode don't turn on the car or try engage the brakes with rear calipers off, otherwise you are going to have some trouble getting the caliper assembly back on. The two flange bolts that secure the sliding caliper pins are pretty east to loosen( only around 20 ft pounds),
    [​IMG]

the brake slide pins are then easily accessed when you swing the caliper out of the way.
    [​IMG]

You don' t have to remove the caliper assembly completely if you like. Use a silicone based grease meant for brake lubrication.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see there is tons of brake pad material, next wheel swap in the spring I will take the pads out and make sure they are not glazed or delaminating from the obvious infrequent use.

navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  9. That got me thinking since I'm just about to go in for my year 2 service. I checked both the EU schedule that I guess we're using in NZ, and the US schedule and they only specify the same brake "inspection" indicated for every year. Just Canada perhaps?

electriceddy likes this.
  10. To remove this ad click here.

11. Its probably a Canadian thing based on their online severe usage service menu. Hyundai unfortunately considers all of Canada falling under severe usage. Anyways this is the cut and past of Service #3 from their website as to what they expect of us at 2 years or 48,000 Km. I am still trying to find the clutch and its appropriate fluid so I can adjust them, lol :)
    Service #3 includes:
    • Tire rotation
    • Check battery condition and terminals
    • Check 12V battery condition
    • Check fluid level (coolant and washer)
    • Service front and rear brakes
    • Inspect cooling system hoses and connections
    • Inspect exterior lights
    • Inspect tire pressure
    • Inspect and lubricate all latches, hinges and locks
    • Inspect driveshafts and boots
    • Inspect suspension mounting bolts
    • Inspect steering gear box, linkages and boots/ball joints
    • Inspect brake lines, hoses and connections
    • Inspect air conditioning refrigerant for any leaks
    • Inspect air conditioning compressor function
    • Inspect cooling system
    • Inspect brake/clutch (if equipped) fluid
    • Inspect clutch(if equipped) and brake pedal free play

navguy12 and KiwiME like this.
  12. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

If you have the blue coolant, you might not be able to do that yourself, as my understanding is that special equipment is needed and getting your hands on the correct coolant could be tricky.

navguy12 likes this.
  13. Excellent photos, great to see minimal wear on the entire assembly. Additionally you have video documentation of the service performed correctly.
    Thanks for that and will bookmark this post for future reference:)

navguy12 likes this.
  14. Just to clarify in the Canadian 2019 owner's manual (and possible on later model year revisions), maintenance section footnote describes "I" (inspection) as
    "I : Inspect ( inspect and if necessary , adjust, correct, clean, or replace)"
    One of the few sections that are close to being specific.
    Funny they don't include lubricate :rolleyes:

15. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

https://www.partsgeek.com/vcvkr3s-hyundai-kona-electric-coolant-antifreeze.html?gb=pp&cid=28884375&aid=4168799348&kid=1100003048584&msclkid=4543ac04abca1076f346f382e7ec032e&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping%28BSC%29&utm_term=1100003048584&utm_content=Hyundai&

The one that is expensive is the one used in 2020 and later.. The one used in 2019 is cheaper..

16. FloridaSun

I will document my 45k mile / 72k km inspection also with pictures.. That's a good thing to do... I'm almost at 38k miles, so 7k miles until 45k miles.. Considering that I'm only driving 2k miles per month due to COVID19, this will be early next year..

navguy12 likes this.
  17. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I am still confused, my 2019 has blue coolant, so are you saying mine isn't the expensive one though? That would be awesome.

18. FloridaSun

Just realized that I passed 37500 miles on my 2019 and Gear Reduction Fluid check is due.. Does anyone know how to check gear reduction fluid?? I searched youtube but didn't find any indication how to check it..

19. FloridaSun

I have the green coolant.. My 2019 was built April 15 2019.. I got it on June 28 2019..

20. FloridaSun

That's probably because it's not specifically made for electric vehicles.. I believe that the earlier Konas with the green coolant use the same coolant as used with internal combustion engine motors.. So, the coolant likely is an engine coolant but that's what I believe that they used in the Kona Electric.